Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Landcruiser owners

Not sure where this belongs so Ill put it here and let mods move it.

Im looking at buying a 92-94 landcruiser wagon and they look great to me but if anyone on here has one with around 250,000 km + can you share if they start running into problems like e series and their headgaskets? Also what should I be looking out for? Some mention no rust so I presume theyre starting to rust in places?

I heard that the suspension in these are really uncomfortable, can anyone confirm this? How reliable are these cars and should something break are parts expensive and are they hard to work on?

Really just need someone with a landcruiser wagon around this vintage to give me the low down, and it will be used mainly for very very long trips (Tas to FN QLD).

Thanks,

Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
yetchh
go bro

a mate of mine has 94LC with 180ks on the clock and his suspension rides good as.. from what i know the 80 series is the best landcruiser model toyota put out for reliability etc, go to 4xd action or IH8mud there's masses of info on those sites for cruisers..
1977 RX4/929 coupe in epoxy finally
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
yetchh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Bloke I know is selling one at the moment, great car. I6 Diesel, has been around Australia twice, goes offroad all the time and hasnt missed a beat.
Suspension is a bit stiff, but the seats have like their own shock absorbers that make it surprisingly comfortable.
Problem he found was rust from the roof racks and along the sills is starting to eat away at the car.
Other then that for something with 600,000ks I think it has, its bloody neat.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Easy to work on. Easy to get parts for. You can buy ANYTHING aftermarket. 80 series are the go if you want to 4wd too.

If you just want it for black top touring (ie driving interstate and towing not offroad) and can extend your budget find a 100 series with the IFS front end. Stupidly comfortable and with good road handling for something so large. If not 80 series are pretty comfy too with coils all round. Might be worth looking at ungrading the coils and shocks though if you plan to load it up with gear while going from tas to fnq.

The diesels, if looked after like anything will do a million kms. Bear in mind even for such a big engine (4.2ltr 6cyl) they are slow as hell with out some assistance.
Even the base 1hz (there are i think 3 different 6cyl diesels) with a turbo, water to air cooler, snorkel and exhaust will get up a boogie very nicely. Mates dad has all that done to his and bloody hell it moves for such a big car. A good addition if you go turbo is a pyro gauge to keep an eye on temp and get your fuel pump wound out a bit. Then you wont have any dramas.

If you cant afford a 100 series, dont worry about 200k on an 80. If its been looked after properly you will get many many kms more out of the vehicle.
And if not there are plenty of conversion kits to stick a nice big v8 under the bonnet
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 01:33 AM   #5
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

mate of mine had a 80 series, it had about 250 000kms, it was a I6 petrol and had heaps of balls, and the motor had plenty in it and no sign of slowing down!

only reason he got rid of it was due to his wanting to be more pimp like so he upgraded to a 04 lexus lx470. but the 80 srs was awesome! the thign would go anywhere with simple mods like suspension lift and tyres, not much else really needs to be doen to these things.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
kempster1

You will get all the info you need at this website

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/
kempster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Ive got an 80 series with about 320k on it. Apart from oil changes the only thing ive had happen was a split radiator and a couple of small oil leaks. Its a petrol and is always loaded up with my work stuff. I have put a 2inch lift in it and it drives like a dream.
Tyre choice depends a lot on how they drive. Ive had Maxxis tyres on and it drove like a woolies shopping trolley. Ive got mickey thompsons on now and its like my AU
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post