Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Going to Phuket in July - advice

Never been oversea's before and On July the 10th i'll be goin on my first big holiday without family - Staying in Phuket(Kamala Beach) for 14 nights at the http://www.aquamarineresort.com/ . Heading over with my girlfriend and we're both a lil worried about offending the locals in anyway - that sorta thing. I really dont wanna end up sitting in a jail cell because i said something i shouldnt have without knowing it (if that can even happen lol) or getting myself into some bad situation..

So. Any tips on keeping out of trouble? Cultural tips, who to keep clear of etc..

also any tips on some great tours or sites to go see? Was thinking about an elephant ride through the forest and a canoe tour at Phi Phi island

Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
winkle

I'll be interested in your thoughts on the resort: We're thinking of going there next year. From what I've read, just be polite and respectful and don't do anything stupid and you should be OK. Respect includes dressing conservatively when visiting things like temples etc.
winkle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well im not really into budgie smugglers so i think ill be fine on that front lol..

We got an incredibly good deal on the resort. It's 5 star, and for July they've got a pay 4 nights, stay 8 nights deal - so we got 14 nights for $713pp staying in the Seaview Delux room. - Thats damn good since i was looking at 3 star places for $1100-1200pp. Flights for July are about $1050 with jetstar - more with other companies although Malay airlines have good deals going - just not in july :(

But just judging by the pictures of the resort it looks pretty good - very clean, nice location and its not too far from nightlife

Last edited by Fev; 26-05-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 26-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
FPV GT40
Banned

Behave like a human being rather than an animal and you should be sweet.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GT40
Behave like a human being rather than an animal and you should be sweet.
What he said. It might sound like a flippant comment, but in all seriousness, if you simply conduct yourself in a civilised manner, you'll avoid 99% of any trouble which is out there, particularly if you're concerned about running into problems with the local fuzz. Be honest, courteous and polite, and locals will generally show you a great degree of latitude, even if you haven't committed every local custom to memory.

Have a good trip!!!!
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Dont say anything bad about the Royal Family, if you hear the national anthem stand still till it finishes (Stand up at the movies), dont yell and argue in public (as its seen as a very bogan thing to do).

....oh and dont steal any bar mats!! lol
Old 26-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

aggred with above also take some masks with you to try to prevent your self and others from getting the swine flu !
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

I just got back, it was great. The shop keepers get on your nerves pretty f*&king quickly, and the prices for everything usually work out the same as here if you buy the same quality but the meals are good. I went for 16 days which was a little too long though.

Oh yeh, and don't steal any barmats.
Old 26-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

damn i thought i'd be getting some cheap shopping goin! :( ahwel - i've just seen the jetski hire - 30mins for 1000baht so im skippin about that hehe probably do that a few times.

Any cool attractions to go out and see? also, how much would a 10 kay taxi ride cost(just so i can decide fare before etc etc.
Old 27-05-2009, 04:52 AM   #10
Al...

Take your umbrella .... It's rain season
Al... is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #11
QLD-Bluey
True Blue

Advice.......stay in Australia. We have everything here, Sun, surf, sand, snow, deserts, forests.....need I say more? :
QLD-Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 07:42 AM   #12
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

I would rather go anywhere other than there. Seem's to me that their police have something against Australians. Tooooooo many stories.
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #13
a-total-tool

Here's a tip. Be careful in the bars. The chick that is trying to pick you up may not be a chick :

Nah, I got nothin'
a-total-tool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #14
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The seaons in july are quiet odd - i've read different things. apparently the best time to go is March - July - the locals like july the best though. Not sure why but thats just what i read on the net

And Staying in australia? i've lived here my whole life, been up and down the east coast and honestly - im gettin bored.. though i will miss my car
Old 27-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
irdonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Culturally...d on't pat children on the head and if visiting temples and shrines don't face your feet towards any images of significance when sitting. Like the others have said, behave like a decent human and you'll be fine.

Cheers
Old 27-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #16
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

also dont wear an

'ASIANS OUT' tshirt.
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #17
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
also dont wear an

'ASIANS OUT' tshirt.
I'd be more worried about my missus wearing that then me lol.. And she's Korean!! (adopted though)
Old 27-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #18
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont let your mates slip a bar mat into your bag

its a great place and if you behave the same as you would here you'll be fine if you wnat ot run amouck you'll have trouble

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #19
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

I went in September last year, had a great time and it was my first trip overseas.

Best advice anyone could give is behave.
Don't steal and don't take chances or risks with anything and I expect that you'd be going via Kuala Lumpur which is again, not a place for Aussie holiganism.

The shopkeepers will bug the hell out of you and you will also cop a hard time if you look obviously aussie.
Not to worry though as 90% of the other tourists in Phuket are also aussie lol.

Don't pay more than 15 baht tops for clothing depending on what it is.
I was getting tshirts for 5 baht.

If you buy ripoff sunglasses get a couple pairs, they will fall apart after a weeks use.

Definitely go on the Phi Phi island day tour, the one that includes the snorkeling.
That was awesome fun.

If you've never ridden a jetski before, go for it. barter them down a bit and go for a ride it's awesome fun.

Up the hill from the beach districts there is a go kart and odysee offroad circuit.
Any tuktuk or cab driver will know where it is, definitely take a ride on those.

Don't leave without checking out the Fanta-Sea amusement part. That place is spectacular some of the things there have to be seen to be believed.
Old 28-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #20
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks fairmont. What about taxi prices? i've read its better to decide on the fare before you get in. Whats the right price for say a 10-15 min taxi ride?
Old 28-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #21
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So Good stuff in this thread:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11260954

but yes, with a Tuk-tuk (pronounced took-took) agree the price in advance.
In the day time the price is usually not negotiable for typical short (less than 20Min) trips.

In the night time the price will often double, but it will become negotiable - you should target the day price !)

a 20 minute trip should not be over 200 baht
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #22
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks
Old 28-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #23
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

i went back in 07 and had a great time. the best way to stop the shop keepers from hounding you is to pretty much shake your head and keep walking, although its probably best to do this after you have done all your shopping because once they know your not interested they dont talk to you at all lol, and they will remember your face!

dont scratch the scratchies!!!!! there all winners and you have to do some time share bull**** to get your prize. my dad did it and we ended up sitting down with this american guy for 2 hours.

theres a mountain there (not sure which one) that has white water rafting, deffinately give that a go. also try the quad bikes, it was cheap and it lasted 4 hours in the forest, on the road flat out and in the river!

i went for 2 weeks with 2k in my pocket. i did all the tours and spent up big in the first week and lived off about $100 the second week, spent the week by the resort pool reading car mag's and checking out the attractions _2:

you'll love it mate!

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #24
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

oh and get a bum bag! trust me you will feel ike an idiot but its the best thing you can do!!

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #25
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.smarttraveller.gov.au/zw-...dvice/Thailand
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #26
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIRMONT4.0
I went in September last year, had a great time and it was my first trip overseas.

Best advice anyone could give is behave.
Don't steal and don't take chances or risks with anything and I expect that you'd be going via Kuala Lumpur which is again, not a place for Aussie holiganism.

The shopkeepers will bug the hell out of you and you will also cop a hard time if you look obviously aussie.
Not to worry though as 90% of the other tourists in Phuket are also aussie lol.

Don't pay more than 15 baht tops for clothing depending on what it is.
I was getting tshirts for 5 baht.

If you buy ripoff sunglasses get a couple pairs, they will fall apart after a weeks use.

Definitely go on the Phi Phi island day tour, the one that includes the snorkeling.
That was awesome fun.

If you've never ridden a jetski before, go for it. barter them down a bit and go for a ride it's awesome fun.

Up the hill from the beach districts there is a go kart and odysee offroad circuit.
Any tuktuk or cab driver will know where it is, definitely take a ride on those.

Don't leave without checking out the Fanta-Sea amusement part. That place is spectacular some of the things there have to be seen to be believed.
Are you serious. 5 baht for T-Shirts. No matter how hard I tried, I could never get a T-Shirt under 100baht. I would say that is almost impossible to get them that low. That is 25cents for a T-Shirt. I'm not saying your lieing, I've been to Phuket a dozen times and not once have I seen anything less than about 100baht. That's the cheapest. Even after the Tsunami's, they still wouldn't go under that.

You right on the glasses. We always buy about 10 pairs each, and the Mrs goes through them real quick, but I've got a pair I've been using since I bought them in 2005. The rubber has perished which is perfect for using under my helmet. It just fits.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #27
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Are you serious. 5 baht for T-Shirts. No matter how hard I tried, I could never get a T-Shirt under 100baht. I would say that is almost impossible to get them that low. That is 25cents for a T-Shirt. I'm not saying your lieing, I've been to Phuket a dozen times and not once have I seen anything less than about 100baht. That's the cheapest. Even after the Tsunami's, they still wouldn't go under that.

You right on the glasses. We always buy about 10 pairs each, and the Mrs goes through them real quick, but I've got a pair I've been using since I bought them in 2005. The rubber has perished which is perfect for using under my helmet. It just fits.
you're correct buck, 100baht is more like it.
don't know where i got 5baht from lol.
perhaps i was thinking more along the lines of equal to 5 dollars AUD.
Old 31-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #28
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't be too concerned, i had a good mate who spent 3 weeks there with his Girlfriend and Trust me if this guy can get there and back without ended up in Jail you'll be fine LOL.

Ill be there the same time as you, we've got a 3 story villa booked out. 5, 24yo blokes from WA we'll keep the heat of ya well ya floging that bar mat bro haha
Old 31-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #29
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate you will love it i was over there for 4 weeks went on a jungle trek up in the hills camped with the locals that was a eye opener
Pi-pi island is great it is a very small island good for chilling out
Chang mi we loved think thats how you spell it
Went on a ocean canoe trek went Thur all the island tunnels etc like where they made that movie blue lagoon and the one with umm forgot his name it was a back packing movie setup with the guy out of titanic
Drank heaps of beer the wife shopped and i could walk around while she was shopping drinking a long neck
Only down side experience i had was the drunk American Marines thought they where king s#%t even the locals don't like them but they love us Aussies
Oh and watch the chicks at night they all want to go home with you and your misses for naughty things but once they get the picture your not looking for that there great bottom line had a ball also don't take much with you its cheaper to buy new clothes then to wash them
Old 31-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #30
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been to Thailand quite a few times. A couple of things to consider. When you get a T shirt for 100 Baht you are getting a steal.. but ... we are a very affluent society and they are ( in general ) not. I started off driving everything to the last baht ( still do for the people that annoy me ) but then just made sure I wasn't getting ripped and left it at that. A dollar to them is way more than a dollar to me and the cost of everything is so cheap that you can afford to give a little.
If you behave you will be fine. The Thai are generally very polite and respond well if you are the same.
In the time I have been going there I haven't had any trouble ...except eating a dodgey bananna fritter once !
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post