Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Can I charge Qantas for changing MY flight?

:
Hey all

Now we all know that if we want to change a booked and confirmed flight we have to pay Qantas right? They would have admin expenses so the concept is fair - except the charges do seem rather high. But I digress.

So I was checking my Qantas account today for a reason unrelated to my upcoming Thailand trip and what do I see - cancelled next to my confirmed flights for this trip.

I absolutely freaked out. There were some new flight times (a few days later) also with cancelled beside them.

Now at this point I must mention that I have received no calls from Qantas, nor any emails or any other notice. So I rang the number, waited 32 mins and yep, they have changed their flight schedules. Sorry about that, but we have the right to do it. No I can't go on the earlier flight, I can either take the new flights days later, or get a refund. What about my connecting flights and accommodation? "Not our problem. That's between you and those providers". The fact that the only reason I need to change my arrangements with those providers was because of Qantas changing my confirmed booking, without notice I might add, was of no consequence. Now I am sure somewhere in the fine print will be a limitation of liability no doubt, but they refused even any small amount of assistance.

So I am ringing around, freaking out, checking travel insurance PDS's (for something they tell me airlines are responsible for so they wont cover!) and trying to reorganise all my booked, paid and confirmed connecting flights, transfers, accommodation and day tours. So why the hell can't I charge them an alteration fee?

A big shout out here now goes to Thai Airways, my connecting flight airline. They went above and beyond to help me out. Without having any compulsion to do so they sympathised and organised everything for me. Now this was a basic cheap ticket, much less than the ticket I had with Qantas. They gave me a number of options, and have even made contingency plans in case Qantas unilaterally decides to change my newly changed itinerary again. Dead set champs. Should have flown entirely with them in the first place, but heaven forbid I try and support my own country's supposed flag carrier airline.

The Thai accommodation and transfers places all helped out too, despite having no cancellation or changes polices. And I wouldn't have changed them either but for Qantas. All up I have to pay an extra $A50.

So I went through all this stress, lost 2 days from my holiday and have to change where I go with absolutely no recompense whatsoever and am out of pocket. All airlines might have similar fine print, but not all enforce it to the absolute letter with no regard for their long standing customers.

Sure as a regular traveller I have had flights changed. But never by a number of days, and certainly with no notice.

With the GFC and all that Qantas (and maybe some other airlines) may be cutting out services - including your booked flights. Might want to check if you have any so called 'confirmed' flights - you might find they have been changed with no notice to you.

Rant over.

Old 21-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I feel your pain, but like you said there is that 1 line in the terms and conditions that states an airline can do as they please with your booking (essentially).

I find it crazy that they did not bother to contact you at all. That's nuts.

I was in Pakistan last month... and dreaded when I saw an email from my ticket merchant with "Changed flight schedule" as the subject... it turned out well in the end, the change was that my plane departing Karachi was now arriving at 9pm and not 8pm as per the original booking. No Biggie, and they sent this email 10 days prior to my departure.

I always try to fly Singapore.. they have never stuffed me around, and even gave me a FREE flight home from Sth Korea when I miss read the departure times and missed my flight.

Quantas have a habit of doing this I have been told. I just booked tickets to Egypt yesterday, and my travel agent recommended I delay my connecting flight from Melb to Syd till the last one for the very reason that the ones prior may be cancelled.

Interesting that travel insurance didn't cover that...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thai airways were fantastic. They basically took it upon themselves to fix up the mess created by Qantas. They have even reserved a number of flights for us, just in case Qantas changes their minds again. Suffice to say I asked for a form to enrol in their FF program! - They fly to Europe which is my usual destination. No probs with Cathay or Emirates either though.

Most frequent travellers have been moved around, happens all the time. Usually by only a few minutes or hours here and there though, but always with notice, and usually with assistance if you need it to rearrange connections. And I am not talking flag carrying airlines either, airlines like MyAir.com have done this when they have rearranged confirmed flights.

Agree Singapore has one of the best reps in the business. When I can afford the premium I fly them.

Sounds like you have done some wide travels there Yellow. You must have some great stories!
Old 21-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

No worries Pinch,

Yeah.. I have a habit of not knowing when to shut up when it comes to travel stories.
I have been witness to countless scams / tricks / 'special fines' etc etc etc.

Pakistan was amazing. I saw around 50 AK-47's on my first day there. Macca's, Subway, even the local convenience store has a chap with beard in traditional Islamic dress sitting next to the entrance with a machine gun and a hand metal detector.

But that's why I do it... to see and experience the stuff most wont.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
Director

Rest assured all airlines will reserve the right to change flight schedules dependant on freight and how full the plane is. Qantas have re scheduled my flights before and I have had connections. If the connecting flight is with Qantas the consultant should make all efforts to change your flight to connect, if the connection is with another airline as your case is you need to ask to speak to a supervisor. I know they can change you to another flight FOC if you have been affected by a schedule change, you just need to speak to someone with the power to actually rebook you to another flight without charging you

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Director is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
:

So I was checking my Qantas account today for a reason unrelated to my upcoming Thailand trip and what do I see - cancelled next to my confirmed flights for this trip.

I absolutely freaked out. There were some new flight times (a few days later) also with cancelled beside them.
You fly Qantas == no sympathy. You get what you deserve :the_finge

Seriously though, Company used to send me all over the place and policy was to fly Qantas. Approx 3 years ago I had had enough of this airline with their delays, changed schedules without warning, lost baggage, stolen baggage (as in broke lock and rifled through my bag and taken things) and put my foot down, no more Qantas flights for me I said. And since then I have flown Virgin, Singapore, Thai, and several others with not one issue.
Qantas was a great airline many (10+) years back but has gone so far downhill that I feel ashamed it's Australian.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post