Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
MAD
Petro-sexual

Default Picture management

I was recently looking through the "shows us your <insert model here>" threads and I think there is an opportunity to make it much quicker to look through the photos. Images are the main purpose of these threads after all.

I'm a member at another forum (www.rcgroups.com) and their attachment management system works in a way where you can view photos without really viewing the thread, but if you require more information about a particular photo you can link back to the post the image originated from.

Could the admins have a look over at rcgroups and see if this type of attachment management could be implemented here?

Old 09-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Was it an issue of images loading or people using a mixture of attachemnts and external hostings?

Problem I see is that the intergration of the our current forum hosting system is that is firmly intergrated with the current version of the forums software, and changes would require major revamp, not a given no but need to establish the issues first
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
MAD
Petro-sexual

No problem with what we have, just that the other place is a simple way to see thumbnails of all forum hosted 'attachments' posted within the thread.
Scrolling through page after page of 3000, 7000 and 9000 post threads takes quite a while.
I guess the only problem with this idea is that you only get to see forum hosted 'attachments' not externally linked pictures.

I just thought it would be good if we were able to basically have a 'photos and links only' view of threads as an option. I think it would be great for event threads and the "show us your..." as mentioned above.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
_CRUZ_
Ford Owner

If people would just size their photos correctly and insert [img] links into posts form their own externaly hosted photos, the forum would be sweet, much better than an attachment, less uploading to the site aswell. My opinion is attachments are too small for detail and the huge as photos people post are too big. Any whoo 2cents
_CRUZ_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

I wouldn't mind to see people uploading small (say 100x100) images, which are clickable and link to a large version.

The 'recommended for forums' version in Photobucket

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePistonHead
I wouldn't mind to see people uploading small (say 100x100) images, which are clickable and link to a large version.

The 'recommended for forums' version in Photobucket
Here's what I do. Simply click the picture to see the large version.

Here's the code you use. Replace the * with [ & ] and you should be right.

*URL=url of large image][img]url of thumbnail image[/img][/URL*

When you're using photobucket, right click on the small version of your image and copy the image location. Put that in the "Url of thumbnail" part.
Then copy & paste your large image direct link and you're in business.

Last edited by Dazza XLT; 09-02-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Dazza XLT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Problem I see is that the intergration of the our current forum hosting system is that is firmly intergrated with the current version of the forums software, and changes would require major revamp, not a given no but need to establish the issues first
perhaps a good place to start would be for members to limit the reposting of pics when using the "quote" option.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
MAD
Petro-sexual

This has gone a litle off topic now. The main idea behind this was to be able to look at the images from a particular thread, without needing to view the thread itself. Especially for the "show us your..." threads because there is a lot of idle chit chat in there as well as photos.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

I know its a little off the original topic and i was almost going to start a new thread on this, Eventually.
It all has to do with the topic name anyway so....

But another forum i frequent uses "ncode imageresizer".. addon for vbulletin.

Basically once the pic is loaded it reduces its size to the standard page size.
So you don't get the whole site thrown out cause people cant resize their pics to a reasonable size.

It maybe another avenue the site admins may like to consider.
I think its a brilliant add on.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post