Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2005, 10:43 PM   #31
Geoff Polites
Starter Motor

Thanks for all your thoughts. It will be a big challenge and a steep learning curve but I am really looking forward to the change.
Geoff Polites is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 10:54 PM   #32
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Well Geoff the Swannies are winning for you, they just squashed the west Coast Eagles!! It's a good year all round!! Your baby Territory is on fire, the Swans are cranking... what more could you want?!?!!!
Old 25-07-2005, 11:03 PM   #33
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Congratulations Geoff and all the best for the future.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2005, 12:23 PM   #34
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Polites
Thanks for all your thoughts. It will be a big challenge and a steep learning curve but I am really looking forward to the change.
Well that answers my question, good luck Geoff.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #35
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Polites
Good to see you again on the Forums!

another article
The Australian Newspaper 27 Jul 2005:

Quote:
Lessons learnt at Ford Australia to drive Jaguar, Land Rover
Robert Wilson

JAGUAR and Land Rover are in good shape says their new chief Geoff Polites. The former president of Ford Australia will become one of the most senior Australians in the car industry when he takes over the luxury brands on September 1

``I'm excited about it. It's really great to have a car company to run again'' Polites said from Germany where he is Ford of Europe's sales and marketing chief

Polites said he would bring two lessons from his five years at the helm of Ford Australia: the importance of being close to customers and of developing flexible solutions. And he said there was one crucial difference between running the two loss-making brands of Ford's Premier Automotive Group and taking over Ford Australia in 1999 -- the cars are better. ``I know there's some pretty good product coming so in that regard I think Jaguar and Land Rover are in good shape'' he said

It's a welcome contrast to what he found when he returned to Ford Australia as president after 11 years running a successful dealership. He found a company in crisis with mounting losses slumping sales for its main model the AU Falcon and a lack of future models

``When I came to Ford we didn't have a firm plan for BA (Falcon) we were due to lose Festiva and Laser sales were down'' he recalled. Polites oversaw the development of Ford's comeback BA Falcon and gave the green light to a project that the first time he mentioned it in one of his monthly media briefings sounded somewhat vague

However out of the plan for a vehicle combining the best features of a sedan people-mover and four-wheel drive came the smash-hit Ford Territory

Polites said he had no grand plans for Jaguar and Land Rover -- yet. ``I'm sitting here in Cologne worrying about how we'll get the numbers for July. After that's locked away I'll think about Jaguar and Land Rover '' he said. ``I've truly no idea what the priorities will be. I think the same priorities apply in any car company

``It's about making a return for the shareholders and the only way you can do that is by making great cars having a cost base that works and getting a return. This is essentially a simple business made complex by external factors.'

Composed but ever so slightly embarrassed by the spotlight Polites said he would not take credit for any turnaround at Jaguar or Land Rover

``If we get it right it won't be me'' he said. ``There's no white knight in this business. The reality is there are a whole bunch of people there who have to get it right and I think they're doing a lot of right things now -- I think they're in good shape to have some success with the products they've got coming.'

But those two lessons he learned as head of Ford Australia would help him in England where Jaguar and Land Rover are based

``I suppose one of the good things I learned at Ford of Australia was how we got very close to our customers '' he said. ``It gave me an appreciation of how powerful a tool that is. I think at times car companies can get removed from their customers. I don't know how removed or close Jaguar and Land Rover are -- although looking at the new range of Land Rovers I'd say they're fairly close. They've kicked three goals from three tries (in the Range Rover Discovery and Range Rover Sport).'

He also said Australians were efficient at designing and producing cars. ``I wouldn't call it seat-of-the-pants but we're very efficient at using assets'' he said. ``We look for ways to do things differently and we certainly look at problems differently to the way they do in Ford of Europe.'

``That urgency that speed is something that comes out of Australia and if I can make some contributions in that regard that would be good.'

And despite the disruption of moving home for the second time in two years -- after going to the trouble of learning German and earning a prized German driving licence -- he's looking forward to getting back in the driver's seat
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #36
Steffo
LPG > You

Looks like Geoff is going to have to fix Jaguar just like he fixed Ford Australia.. I guess we'll be seeing some very nice Jag products very soon.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post