Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #121
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathlucky
whats the point of the its not running a red light if your rear wheels are over the line rule if you cant run a yellow light wtf
Not sure if it is just me being tired or what but I can't quite make sense of your post. Could you clarify it for me please?

Thanks
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #122
deathlucky
Awesome Member

sorry i just got a huge head ach and cant really think lol.

well from what i understand you can run a red light as long as your rear wheels are over the line when it turns red.
so if thats ok how can you be booked for running a yellow?
17" BA XR8 Copies, Pedders Coilovers Front & Rear, 30mm Front 24mm Rear Whiteline Sway Bar, Strut Brace, Camber Kit, Slotted Front Rotors, 1636 Wadecam, Au Injectors, El Ecu, TurboSmart FPR-800 (275kpa), MSD Street Fire Ignition, MSD High Vibration Blaster Coil, Pacemaker 4499, High Flow Cat, 2.5" Sports Exhaust, Twin Pod Filters, El Thermo Fans, 2 Stage Shift Kit, Pioneer Sound System : 123.3RWKW
deathlucky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 12:17 AM   #123
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

As I was taught in driver training, time enough to speed up, time enough to slow down.
Old 24-10-2008, 12:21 AM   #124
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

well from what i understand you can run a red light as long as your rear wheels are over the line when it turns red.
Ohhhhhhh ok. Well I was always taught that you wouldn't be considered running a red light if it turned red before you were 3/4 the way through the intersection. In other words if it had just turned yellow as you hit the line and it is one of those intersections that the red light came rather fast.

I remember the five ways in Adelaide used to freak me out when I was on my learners as it seemed to change ultra quick :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #125
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Deathlucky - are you kidding? Have you actually read this thread? Yes if your car is not over the line when the red comes on you will be booked for "disobeying a traffic instruction" ie red light, but you can also be booked for exactly the same thing on an orange light which says "stop if you can before the line safely".

Re the Merc/ute example given earlier - if the ute only just stopped in time whilst locking up the wheels etc, surely that would be given consideration. I wouldn't think you are expected to do a full panic stop, I would not consider that to be "safe". The yellow light cycle is not that tight, surely a "normal" braking effort should be sufficient?

Its really not hard, pick a spot before the intersection from where you can stop at the speed you are going, if the light goes yellow before you get there you stop, otherwise keep going.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #126
hannem

I live in Werribee and for those that know the area will know where the cop shop is. For those that don't it is on a major thoroughfare and sits a T intersection controlled by lights.

Driving along the road one day in the right lane with an XD in the left lane and further ahead than me.

Tootling along nicely at 80 when the lights turned orange, all of a sudden XD locks up the brakes with smoke and noise everywhere.

This dude should have gone through the orange light as he was way too close to the intersection to stop safely. Luckily there was no one behind him as it may have turned out a bit worse.

I reckon he was thinking thinking that the cop shop is there so I had better do the right thing. Wrong you doofus.

I pulled up next to him and he would not look around probably thinking to himself that maybe it wasn't the right thing to do.

I wonder if anyone has been booked for NOT going through an orange light??

Cheers M
hannem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #127
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:

I think this post is even more confusing than your first one.

What you seem to be describing is running a yellow, not a red. If you have passed the line at your side of the intersection before the light had turned red, then obviously you're not running a red light as you've entered the intersection *before* the light turned red.

Putting that aside for a moment. If it was determined that you could have safely stopped at the intersection when the light had turned yellow then you're screwed regardless. At least in NSW (I figure QLD can't be that much different... but then again it is QLD) there are no clauses regarding rear wheels, lines and red lights.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #128
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannem
Tootling along nicely at 80 when the lights turned orange, all of a sudden XD locks up the brakes with smoke and noise everywhere.

This dude should have gone through the orange light as he was way too close to the intersection to stop safely. Luckily there was no one behind him as it may have turned out a bit worse.

I reckon he was thinking thinking that the cop shop is there so I had better do the right thing. Wrong you doofus.

I pulled up next to him and he would not look around probably thinking to himself that maybe it wasn't the right thing to do.

I wonder if anyone has been booked for NOT going through an orange light??
I don't believe there's an offence provision to deal with that instance when it comes to obeying traffic lights. I'm sure if it was observed by a cop, there are a number of general offences it probably could have been put under if they so wished.

Possibly he had a lapse in concentration. It happens to us all behind the wheel but at an intersection is one of those places you do want to be paying due care and attention at all times.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #129
prydey
Rob

regarding the merc/ute example earlier, just because the ute locked up the tyres doesn't mean it wasn't a safe distance to stop when the light went orange. it may have been an inattentive driver. the light may have gone orange moments earlier and he didn't notice until a few seconds later.

as most know, the traffic light cycle for the cross road can be seen from 90* so the cop would've had a fair idea.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2008, 08:46 PM   #130
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
regarding the merc/ute example earlier, just because the ute locked up the tyres doesn't mean it wasn't a safe distance to stop when the light went orange. it may have been an inattentive driver. the light may have gone orange moments earlier and he didn't notice until a few seconds later.

as most know, the traffic light cycle for the cross road can be seen from 90* so the cop would've had a fair idea.

Exactly, it may have been amber for quite some time before the ute even hit the brakes, resulting in a panic stop that would not have happened if he was paying attention.