Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Default LI LPG - Toyota v FORD - Race is on

Just read recently , that despite TOYOTA's strangle hold on the HYBRID car producton race......they aren't satisfied to sit on their laurels and will be competing head on with FORD for the 1st official release of a LPG Liquid injected powered AURION.

News was also that FORD has official plans to release the V6 Duratec with a dedicated LPG Liquid Injected engine in 2010.........

The race is on...........experts are prediciting that approx 40% of Falc sales may well be LPG powered units in 2010 so whomever gets the jump on this technology for testing , production and sales will stand to gain heaps........

http://www.mellor.net/mellor/mellorw...oAuto%20e-News

Who knows.............we may all even see an FPV LPG LI option............wouldn't that be interesting !!!!!!!!!!

Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well, im glad because that will be the only thing to FORCES Ford to go for LI. Dipsticks should of had it for FG; but since the I6 is ending then I can see the business case, why bother investing for an engine that will last another 1-2 years.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys do realise that these things are planned five to seven years in advance.
When I was in NT in 2003 I ran into an engeering team TESTING the FG drivetrain in a BA mule.

Polyal is right that it would be silly to develop the I6 any further as it is dead.
I suspect this is partly why QIVCT technology was never implemented into BOSS engines.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well, im glad because that will be the only thing to FORCES Ford to go for LI. Dipsticks should of had it for FG; but since the I6 is ending then I can see the business case, why bother investing for an engine that will last another 1-2 years.
It was supposed to be ready for the FG next year, but development was cancelled when the I6 was. No suprises that it will appear on the V6, it will probably be the same system.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
It was supposed to be ready for the FG next year, but development was cancelled when the I6 was. No suprises that it will appear on the V6, it will probably be the same system.
The question on my mind is why it wasn't worked on years before the release of the FG......The I6 has been around for donkeys so they've had ample opportunity to test and tune.

An official FG Falc release this year with the LI LPG package would have slaughtered the opposing VE sales and probably everything else........They could have had buoyant sales til late 2010 with the V6 release........It could have saved the thousands of jobs that are on the chopping block as well as the latest news of the RIF ( reduction in Force ) of an as yet undisclosed number of white collar jobs at FORD..........
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
The question on my mind is why it wasn't worked on years before the release of the FG......The I6 has been around for donkeys so they've had ample opportunity to test and tune.

An official FG Falc release this year with the LI LPG package would have slaughtered the opposing VE sales and probably everything else........They could have had buoyant sales til late 2010 with the V6 release........It could have saved the thousands of jobs that are on the chopping block as well as the latest news of the RIF ( reduction in Force ) of an as yet undisclosed number of white collar jobs at FORD..........

Wasn't there a patent issue on LI?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
It's no surprise that an engine with 2 years before it is retired won't be factory tested for a new gas setup. Instead they just channelled the resources into the new engine. Once the FG came out with the old system, it was clear we'd have to wait for the new Ford V6 to see a proper Liquid injection system.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Thats what i've heard, some licensing or patent issue with the supplier.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
maybe they are using an Australian LPG Warehouse kit

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 03:53 AM   #10
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP

I Aggree. As a observation from the every day punter, notwithstanding reasons behind the lack of action, it just seems like another opportunity lost.

Just like not exporting the falcon O/S. Before the Stockmarket disaster, I'm guessing North american buyers would have fallen over themselves to get into an FG falcon. Rear wheel drive, close to 200KW, under 10litres per 100, Good looking family sedan. And thats just the base model, can anyone say F6.

But I digress, LI/LPG in Aussie sixes. LONG TIME OVERDUE FORD.
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
maybe they are using an Australian LPG Warehouse kit

If they're an approved supplier then yes, Ford wont pay if they're an approved supplier after the rules that came in 2 years ago.....well they will but the crapola you gotta go through is to much hassle.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #12
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Liquid Injection kits are only now just starting to reach the market, and even then it's slow and sporadic. We haven't really seen the start if LI in Australia truth be told. Many places won't even start installing them till the start of 2009.

Given that sort of timing, it'll be Holden and Ford that come out with LI LPG first, while Toyota will still be thinking about it within their hybrid-smug-smile.

Lukeyson
Old 04-10-2008, 03:09 AM   #13
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

then the next thing will be Direct Liquid Injection... then they will move all the fuss over to CNG or LNG.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #14
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^
If Ford is looking to the future they should be resuming their trialling of CNG. LPG still derives from petroleum and oil is on the out (economically and politically as much as actual supply) whereas Australia has a good reserve of natural gas. Diesel, hybrid and LPG are simply so much fiddling while Rome burns - buying for time.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post