Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-06-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
bingoTE50
Steve

Default Courier Drivers- Pitfalls

Hello everbody ,

I contemplating a complete career change . I have been in the same industry since 1982 and have progressed to a National role. But I have had enough . I have owned my own business previously for seven years ,
( wholesale) -Sold it , have a Business Diploma Management ....blah ..blah...

To all the Couriers on here , what are the main pitfalls . Is it worth looking for companies requiring 2t , 3t ,4tonners ( have MR liscence , fork ticket) etc rather than 1 tonners . Looking to turn 2 k a week less running cost for a 1 tonner.
I am looking at a couple of the 1 Tonne runs at the moment..the type that sell coupons. Anyone here do this know, and how do you find it ?

Any comments welcome .

bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

My dads a courier and I also know quite a few, it is a low paying job when you take out your expenses, you will not get rich.

My dad works for a company which gives them a minimum wage even if they dont get enough work, but he must be available all working hours to receive it,
They take a percentage out of every job
He has to pay any tolls incorporated with the delivery
He must use the Toll roads if the job requires that route to be the quickest
he may get a job to the country at 5.00 pm and will only get normal rates if the job was booked before 5.00
There is a lot of vehicle expenses involved as he does approx 400-600 klms a day

When you work out the final wage you get after all expenses and then work out how many hours you have to work to get it you will see why most people only do the job for a year or two.

He works for 1 of the better companies

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

My old man was a courier for a few years in between gigs... this was back in the mid 90s too. Back then fuel was a *lot* cheaper but even then fuel ate pretty much most of his 'profit' (ie what he had left after running costs).

If you're driving someone elses' vehicle and using their fuel and wearing it out instead of your own then it will be a lot less stressful.

Oh and if you hate traffic I would advise against doing it unless your hours are like my old mans which were like 3am till 9am.
Old 25-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im told industrial area runs are the best for courier work..
i know MR truck drivers get a decent pay if they work for toll ipec by the looks of things.. just on your local delivery type runs

but they pull long as hours
Old 25-06-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
whiteELXR6

It's a High stress job and for minimal gain. Mot to sure whether you have been in transport before but there isn't nothing easy about it and it generally encourages stress.
whiteELXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
tweeked
N/A all the way

I actually run a courier company in Coopers Plains, I think we may have met at the Chiptorque dyno day a few weeks back! PM me if you want to come in and see me, i can fill you in with a straight up answer with the good and the bad and you can see if it is right for you.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Im a Courier driver for my uncles business ... you'll find it hard now too be an Independant Courier as companies like Progress and Kings Couriers are taking over ... we just lost the contract we had for Lecornu's that he's had for over 20 years! ..

Personally Bro, i tell ya DON'T DO IT!!! it kills you slowly and makes you misrable when you barely brake even ... For the amount of work and hours you put in is SO not worth it!!! .. i know that the figures look good being an average of $55 per delivery, but it kills you!! it is NOT an easy job!

Just my words of advise man
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
leadfoot

You will not be able to turn over 2K with a one tonner working for a courier co.I reckon a good operator will gross about 1200-1500 on a good week
I had a contract with Aussie Post using a 2t Mercedes which would turnover just over 2k per week & it nearly killed me as I was trying to do the work of 1 person plus a casual.
After having to set up a company and pay the running costs and the bulls*&t involved with paying myself I got jack of it ,got my HR lisence and make the same money (nett)doing less hours & with half the hassles.
There is some decent money around for MR & HR drivers at the moment..Saw one job advertised doing a milk running paying 56K & with 8 weeks holiday!
Old 28-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
cycle myth

I use to do a lot of financial assessment of Couriers.

Not many make a lot of money.

There a big pitfalls when your equipment (ie car / van) fails / have accidents - basically no income - lots of expense.

Couriers are near the top of the list for finance delinquency and risk because of this.

IMO the best job of this type would be if you were employed as a driver (vehicle supplied) and you has a set run - but pretty tough to find.

Good luck.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
Ringo
I see you....

My father-in-law was courier running a Rodeo, who has since moved up into being a contractor for a particular firm and is now running a new Isuzu NPR300.

His figures are very similar the figures that quoted above when running a 1 tonner but now he has a different economy of scale (and risk) running the Isuzu and is making hundreds more per week.

There is no loyalty in courier work. Drivers will switch companies for 25 cents more and Customers will switch courier companies for 25 cents less.

The big driver (pun not intended) for his to make the change he has was that the rising cost of fuel was not being relfected in the rates his courier company where charging their customers and thus not in the rates he was being paid. As a contractor he has a little more control over what he does and how much it is worth and has negotiated his own rates.

The big plus he does though is that he is very customer centric and when he delivers things he remembers names of eveyone he deals with puts the delivery where the customer wants it, not just at the front door or back door but if it has to go into the store room, that where it goes. With he repeat deliveries he just does it automatically. This takes time but he now has customers who specifically request that he deliver their order because when 'the other guys' deliver it they just dump it and go. This has made him very highly regarded to the company he contracts to if they ever had to let a contractor go it certainly will not be him in the firing line….
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #11
bingoTE50
Steve

Thanks everyone for your input.
Tweeked , yes buddy I met you at the Dyno Day .
The figure you guys quote are pretty much what I thought .
I am keen to get into my own business again and this was just a avenue that I could get into .I currently have a well paid position but I just am stale with the industry I am in.

Thanks guys

Steve
Old 01-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #12
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thought about doing a cross over course or somthing and trying to skip industries??
Old 01-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #13
bingoTE50
Steve

Yeah Brendon , I have some qualifications in management . I am looking for a State Sales Role in Electrical . I am in a National Role in the HVAC industry now.
I have been in this field since 1982 . I looked at buying a Autobarn franchise but they are a bit dear in my opinion . I might look at a independent like a Auto pro etc .
I have owned my own Company before that turned 1.8 mil , so I know I can run one of these things. Transport was just a easy way for me to get into a different field .

What about you buddy, you are going to Tafe ? What are you looking to do ?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #14
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im going to uni/uni is comming to me(Open Universities)
Im doing Bachelor of Business(Logistics and Supply Chain Managment)
Old 01-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #15
bingoTE50
Steve

Ahh Uni - good on you mate . Give it your best shot .
I did a Diploma last year through RPL and two modules long hand.
Not bad for a 45 year old. I wish I took education more seriously when I was younger instead of ginning around wasting so much money on cars
Old 01-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #16
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RPL seems to be assisting alot of people nowadays to get some paper aye!!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:00 AM   #17
azaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
Ahh Uni - good on you mate . Give it your best shot .
I did a Diploma last year through RPL and two modules long hand.
Not bad for a 45 year old. I wish I took education more seriously when I was younger instead of ginning around wasting so much money on cars
Tell me about it. I just finished school and i wish i did the same instead of hitting the every weekend and even weekdays for that matter.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post