Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-06-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Default Sorting Software

Hi all, I recently bought one of those Storage cases of ebay that lets you store about 600 cds and it's really great as normally I cannot find any of them for the life of me. Anyhow I put every cd I can find into it and my room is now spotless but I need to find a program that sorts them for me.

I am using MS access atm but that was only for when I had my movies in it and now looking for something a bit better. What I want to be able to do is type something into it and it'll give me the number of where it is, kind of like library software.

If you know of any programs please let me know cheers :sm_headba

Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Devil Racer, you might try excel, with a few mods it is easy enough.

You would need to enter the data ( CD title ) and allocate a number then have your list sort by Name then use validated search to find the title and your done,

But with a big storage why dont you just stack it alpha order and save all the trouble.

Pete
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 02:59 PM   #3
Franky
Bring back the Phase

It would be a good idea to do it that way but with more and more being included then i'd have to rearrange them alot. Plus they are in different catagories, there are music, movie , games and software ect
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok fair point, i would still go with excel, and add your differant catagories to the search list as well.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2005, 01:12 AM   #5
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Can you whip up something in Excel ???

It might be a pain to do though.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 10:37 PM   #6
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Racer
Hi all, I recently bought one of those Storage cases of ebay that lets you store about 600 cds and it's really great as normally I cannot find any of them for the life of me. Anyhow I put every cd I can find into it and my room is now spotless but I need to find a program that sorts them for me.

I am using MS access atm but that was only for when I had my movies in it and now looking for something a bit better. What I want to be able to do is type something into it and it'll give me the number of where it is, kind of like library software.

If you know of any programs please let me know cheers :sm_headba

Sounds like you need Where Is It?.

It's not free, but it sure as hell beats indexing 600 cds by hand!!

Dan
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 10:58 PM   #7
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Use Excel. Enter all the data you have and want into a spreadsheet as a simple table with column headings. Next, click the row indicator to highlight the whole row containing the column headings, then go Tools->Filter->AutoFilter. This will give you a "drop down" list for all the columns with data, and you can then filter and sort on any criteria you have in mind. Very very handy.

Here is an example I baked earlier...

Alternatively if you're too lazy and can pay for it, apparently this one is pretty good..
http://www.collectorz.com/music/musi...=music_catalog

Last edited by MrSparkle; 02-07-2005 at 11:06 PM.
MrSparkle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post