Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #121
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I can't for the life of me understand why people are concerned about being pulled over by the police, if you've done nothing wrong and you're car is legal its just a simple polite exchange and on your way... some people draw attention to themselves, arc up and wonder why they get a hard time.. :
Ah. No it's not :

You can be harassed for no wrong doing at all. Could depend on your nationality or even the type of car you drive. Could be neither. But if the member who pulled you over has had a rough day, chances are it will NOT be a simple 'exchange' :

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #122
luke

Another example:

This morning I was driving down Jetty Road, Glenelg. As most Adelaideans know, this road is shared with the Glenelg trams. Stopped at a red light, and when the light went green, I attempted to take off, only to spin the back right wheel like crazy. Turns out that the "Safe" "Standard" "Unmodified" 215 pizza cutter tire ended up square on the tram tracks, leaving me with no grip. I had just tried to take off slowly (due to the heavy amount of pedestrian traffic in the area), yet if a cop had seen me, I bet it'd be classified as a burnout.

Luke

luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #123
HP-0351
1409hp 1190lb.ft 18psi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Another example:

This morning I was driving down Jetty Road, Glenelg. As most Adelaideans know, this road is shared with the Glenelg trams. Stopped at a red light, and when the light went green, I attempted to take off, only to spin the back right wheel like crazy. Turns out that the "Safe" "Standard" "Unmodified" 215 pizza cutter tire ended up square on the tram tracks, leaving me with no grip. I had just tried to take off slowly (due to the heavy amount of pedestrian traffic in the area), yet if a cop had seen me, I bet it'd be classified as a burnout.

Luke
consider yourself lucky!

The Daily 2003 BA GT Falcon http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11367185

The Weekender: 1971 Twin Turbo XY Falcon
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....=twin+turbo+xy
HP-0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #124
Bobman
Regulator

A lot of our roads are of poor quality and very dangerous in the wet. Especially around corners. Are we seeing money from revenue raised directly by hoon/speeding behaviour going on this? Not really.

Current Cars:
Previous Cars:
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
Old 17-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #125
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPaddict
a simple licence and vehicle check is all they need to pull you up or any other reason they want to make up, then its a matter if you get a good copper or a grumpy ******** to where it goes from there. you dont have to do something wrong to be pulled over anymore, wake up dude. far out people can be so trusting, this country is not in good hands.
I don't know where you're driving but I've never had any hassles with the police and I've been driving modified vehicles for around 15 years now.

Sat beside police in modified vehicles without a hassle. At a booze bus one morning and was lazy putting my rego sticker on, he asked if I had paid rego and I replied that I had it in the glove box (which it was). Didn't even ask to see it, just said make sure you put it on when you get home today.

Last experience was at a booze bus, was pulling into one and he waved me around and pulled the guy in behind me. I'm driving an BA XR8 with an unquestionably louder than stock exhaust.

If you're being hassled to the extent you seem to be implying, perhaps it's not the police...
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #126
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I can't for the life of me understand why people are concerned about being pulled over by the police, if you've done nothing wrong and you're car is legal its just a simple polite exchange and on your way... some people draw attention to themselves, arc up and wonder why they get a hard time.. :

You know its funny how many people jump out there car with there chest's puffed out the minute they get pulled over, and start the smart a#% act and then wonder why they get the book thrown at them.

If you havent broken any laws being pulled over shouldnt be an issue,to many people have the attitude that "pigs" are out to get them,I say grow up and realise that this is not the case,having this atttitude may have been "cool" when you were 17,but if you still have that attitude at 20 I would say that you are the problem,not the officer that is doing there job.
Clint Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #127
BlackLS
yum

No one can't be that naive to think every judgment a Police officer makes is correct. I think police should be required to give video or photographic proof when it comes to seizing a car for hooning.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #128
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
No one can't be that naive to think every judgment a Police officer makes is correct. I think police should be required to give video or photographic proof when it comes to seizing a car for hooning.

It will never happen, being caught in the act by a police officer is enough.

Photographic proof should never be required, at most a photo of the tyre marks, wheel arches should be ample.

In a court of law, its their word against yours, a honest law enforcer, or a bloke with a hotted up car, its not hard to add it up.

Honestly Police judgement is pretty good, they normally target hotspots and having an illegally modified car is enough, get caught being borderline hoon in that car and its all over.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #129
wanna302
Makes me larffff!

The cops tend to pick an attitude waiting to happen in most cases when they pull someone over.
Only ever been pulled over at a booze bus in Vic and always have more than the usual stand around the car when i switch down the lights.

My exhaust is louder than normal but never been a problem. Just smile and agree, thats all i do.

Sad eh.
wanna302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #130
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods

Photographic proof should never be required, at most a photo of the tyre marks, wheel arches should be ample.
Victoria Police have ICV, which has been deployed to most metropolitan and rural areas' TMU section.

It's good idea in my opinion. Anyone can lie. But if there is photographic/video evidence, it quickly quashes any lengthy court cases that could have resulted, or inaccurate information from either party.

Current Cars:
Previous Cars:
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
Old 17-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #131
HPaddict

i guess it all depends on the type of car also, a BA or BA GT with different rims is hardly a modified car really. on the other hand a xa with convos, stroker motor, big cam, big stall, lowered, fuel cell, bonnet scoop ect. can be a different story. now thats a modified car to me. DRIVE SOMETHING LIKE THAT AND SEE HOW YOU GO?
HPaddict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #132
HP-0351
1409hp 1190lb.ft 18psi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods

In a court of law, its their word against yours, a honest law enforcer, or a bloke with a hotted up car, its not hard to add it up.

Honestly Police judgement is pretty good, they normally target hotspots and having an illegally modified car is enough, get caught being borderline hoon in that car and its all over.
well they had no photo's or video of any sort to back them up against me and i still beat them in court...says a lot dont you think?

could have gone the other way i guess, they should have to prove it though and not just rely on a statement...after all there are dodgy police officers around, always comes up in the news taking bribes, drugs charges whatever so they should have to present a case not just based on their verbal statement...back it up with pics/video

Roy

The Daily 2003 BA GT Falcon http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11367185

The Weekender: 1971 Twin Turbo XY Falcon
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....=twin+turbo+xy
HP-0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #133
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
i guess it all depends on the type of car also, a BA or BA GT with different rims is hardly a modified car really. on the other hand a xa with convos, stroker motor, big cam, big stall, lowered, fuel cell, bonnet scoop ect. can be a different story. now thats a modified car to me. DRIVE SOMETHING LIKE THAT AND SEE HOW YOU GO?
Owned an XW GT for many years, had more than a tickle under the bonnet. Police only ever commented on how nice the car was if I was at a booze bus, never pulled over.

Had a HX Kingswood with a 350 in it, wild machine. Never spoke to a cop when I owned it.

Add another half a dozen V8's and the only time I've been pulled over was doing 124 in a 110 zone.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 12:55 AM   #134
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If its too low, too loud, has illegal mods and has stuff hanging through the bonnet what do people seriously think the police are going to do???
If the car doesnt even come close to loosely meating minimum roadworthy condition then the police not only have the right to pick on it but should pick on it. It makes matters worse when people jump out of the car all indignent with a stinking attitude.. you know who's going to win, every time.
There will be isolated examples of people getting hard done by, but i bet 99% of people who fall foul of a so called "grumpy cop" actually brought it on themselves....

Old 18-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #135
fos408

Default modified

I think some people forget what modified is ,these days you can get defected for 7in rims if there diameter is 2in over standard ,being 1 decibel over,having a blow off valve on your late model,gauges hanging under your dash, a bonnet scoop thats low but has too narrow a lip, I know a person who couldnt get a shaker scoop on a fairmont passed as it didnt come standard on there xy fairmont .Ther is a multitude of crap you can be defected for it doesnt need to be lowered to the ground ,crap hanging out of the hood or loud to be noticed and pulled over

I think your wrong red hot six and 4v,im 46 and have been pulled over 4 times in the last 4 yrs and I have been driving within the law. my car is immaculate ,I never get shitty with the cops as i fully expect this crap ,I have an engineers report , I get told great car but still get the defect . I have also driven past 100s of cops and they look and do nothing but there is always that one who wants to get you. I dont going cruising in any of the car hot spots anymore which now arent worth the risk in fact I tend to cruise during the day as I get less attention . I know several people in their 40s who now dont drive their modified cars as much, plan where they are going and even what time of day and car shows etc to avoid because of the attitude of the cops present. Every been to the spring nationals in Vic?.Ever been at a show where somebody complains about the noise on the burnout pad ,so the cops start defecting cars in the car park, pull over anything modified if it leaves ,defects cars on trailers with plates,or watched as a 140 entrants sneak out the back gate in a pack to get away? Have you been on a cruise with your club and 120 cars (legal to do )are parked and everybody is standing around chatting (average age 30) and 2 cop cars pull up want to know who the organiser is and if we dont off in the next 5 minutes he willl start defecting us all because we dont have his permission to be in his area and some are causing problems 5 km away because we cruised though and this is encouraging them
The above are some of what HP is talking about I imagine
fos408 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #136
reds89

one has to wonder why hoons cars are confiscated,impounded or whatever and yet we have i think a greater threat from drunk/drugged drivers and nobody says anything about impounding there cars,and how often do you hear about repeat drink drivers being caught more than once on our roads.
reds89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 06:32 PM   #137
Kil4Collingwood

Excellent and very valid point there reds
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #138
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't know about the other states but here in S.A there is a lack of street legal dragracing and burnout comps,not condoning these idiot's but i think this is adding to the problem we have today.
It was just last night that a few cars were impounded for doing burnouts and erratic driving,everyone in adelaide know's who they are and have been doing it for years,just last year when a girl was knocked down by a car doing a burnout on one of these "cruises".
Also i think that the police are adding fuel to the fire by harrasing people and defecting cars for no other reason other than cruising around in there modified cars,until they find a proper fix i think this will make it worse...just my 2cents.Josh
futura888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #139
GT-E

What I think is funny about "Hoons" in general, is they have cars that attract attention.
Big Audio, Neons, loud exhaust, bright paintwork and big wheels. They do this to get noticed, yet they complain when Police notice them.
Funny that.........
Old 18-05-2008, 10:31 PM   #140
mikestp
EF Ghia

I think that its easy enough to photoshop the skin and plates of a cop car onto a picture of a falcon or como drifting...
send that in saying this is the car that has been disturbing your nieghborhood and could the police please do something about this repeat offender
mikestp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 10:37 PM   #141
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestp
I think that its easy enough to photoshop the skin and plates of a cop car onto a picture of a falcon or como drifting...
send that in saying this is the car that has been disturbing your nieghborhood and could the police please do something about this repeat offender
Intelligent..... :

Old 18-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #142
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapXR6T
What I think is funny about "Hoons" in general, is they have cars that attract attention.
Big Audio, Neons, loud exhaust, bright paintwork and big wheels. They do this to get noticed, yet they complain when Police notice them.
Funny that.........
I totally respect your views mate but generally hoons don't drive cars with Big Audio, Neons, loud exhaust, bright paintwork and big wheels,they drive cars that looked dunged out with stockies on the back ,i have been singled out a couple of times before because i have a loud sound system and big wheels,not because i am a hoon,peeves me a little but that comes with the parcel of modding your car doesn't it?
futura888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #143
mikestp
EF Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapXR6T
Funny that.........
Id disagree, when someone says hoon and burnout together this is what comes to mind:

mikestp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 12:04 AM   #144
HPaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fos408
I think some people forget what modified is ,these days you can get defected for 7in rims if there diameter is 2in over standard ,being 1 decibel over,having a blow off valve on your late model,gauges hanging under your dash, a bonnet scoop thats low but has too narrow a lip, I know a person who couldnt get a shaker scoop on a fairmont passed as it didnt come standard on there xy fairmont .Ther is a multitude of crap you can be defected for it doesnt need to be lowered to the ground ,crap hanging out of the hood or loud to be noticed and pulled over

I think your wrong red hot six and 4v,im 46 and have been pulled over 4 times in the last 4 yrs and I have been driving within the law. my car is immaculate ,I never get shitty with the cops as i fully expect this crap ,I have an engineers report , I get told great car but still get the defect . I have also driven past 100s of cops and they look and do nothing but there is always that one who wants to get you. I dont going cruising in any of the car hot spots anymore which now arent worth the risk in fact I tend to cruise during the day as I get less attention . I know several people in their 40s who now dont drive their modified cars as much, plan where they are going and even what time of day and car shows etc to avoid because of the attitude of the cops present. Every been to the spring nationals in Vic?.Ever been at a show where somebody complains about the noise on the burnout pad ,so the cops start defecting cars in the car park, pull over anything modified if it leaves ,defects cars on trailers with plates,or watched as a 140 entrants sneak out the back gate in a pack to get away? Have you been on a cruise with your club and 120 cars (legal to do )are parked and everybody is standing around chatting (average age 30) and 2 cop cars pull up want to know who the organiser is and if we dont off in the next 5 minutes he willl start defecting us all because we dont have his permission to be in his area and some are causing problems 5 km away because we cruised though and this is encouraging them
The above are some of what HP is talking about I imagine
thanks fos 408, yes youve hit the nail right on the head, i am nearly 40 so i am no young wipper snapper, and NO i do not get out of the car with my chest all puffed up or with attitude, i speak to them with a freindly manner and respect. youll know what i mean if it ever happens to you other guys who dissagree on the matter.
HPaddict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post