Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 17-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
AusM
AusMotorsport

Default Olympic Games under threat of boycott

China declares war on Tibet as it rolls 100+ tanks into the capital, Lhasa, searching homes for monks and other religious leaders, imprisoning or executing them.

It always amazes me how much goes on in the world that barely breaks the radar... if only oil was involved, then maybe we'd see something done about it? And Chinese media can't even mention the word 'Tibet' in any of their reports! Watchout China, Richard Gere's on your case!

Quote:
“China executed 1010 people last year, according to their own figures, or between 7500 and 8000, according to Amnesty International. Even in the best of cases, this represents 65% of executions done in the world per year," Inaki said.

"The family of the executed pays for the bullet, while the state sells the organs. The Tibetan genocide is still unpunished, after 1 million Tibetans were exterminated between 1950 and 1970, and another million are living in exile. And the IOC awards China with the Games?"

Hollywood actor and chairman of the International Campaign for Tibet Richard Gere told Reuters today that neither Dalai Lama nor the ICT advocates a boycott of the Summer Olympics. But now he too is changing his mind.

Gere told the news source it was his personal opinion that it would be "unconscionable" to attend the Beijing Games if China failed to deal peacefully with unrest in the Himalayan region -- protests that have turned to riots and already claimed several lives.

"I've not been pro-boycott, but I think if this is not handled correctly, yes we should boycott. Everyone should boycott," Gere told Reuters. He also joins in on the general confusion about why China has been handling the situation the way they have, "It's just so foolish and short-sighted. Everything that they want is destroyed in moments like this," he said.
http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?id=17113
http://www.mounteverest.net/news.php?id=17117

Old 19-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing new, this is China as its usual self. We're only hearing about it because it's an Olympic year and it's all over the news. Also as usual, nothing will be done about it as China's money speaks louder than people's dignity or rights.
Old 19-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Olympics sucks.

I didn't watch any of the 2004 games.

I prefer watching tennis at my local club. At least people there enjoy the sport FOR the sport and not for a wad of green. We also just have fun, and don't feel the need to dope for it.

Grass roots is where it all begins, and that's where I enjoy sport.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 20-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Still got plenty left in their population :P
Old 20-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i cant hate anyone that makes such good spring rollls
Old 20-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
Very true... plus think about their sweet shops making our clothing...
Old 20-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFdesign
if only oil was involved,
FFS another oil conspiracy theorist every action in the world is tied to oil is it ??? think of these issues
  1. numbers china 1.321 million people USA 301 million Australia 20 million people china can win a war through sheer numbers they have plenty of unwilling cannon fodder
  2. economy china are a key player in the world economy and could bankrupt the US if they were cornered
  3. Supply China provides many consumer goods and a war would cause major dissruptions to supply of goods world wide causing further financial turmoil
don't get me wrong oil does have an impact on some deciosions but it is by no means the only factor as sad as it is china is just too big to mess with. if you were out on the town and saw 50 bikies doing something wrong would you take them on ? Same situation China could kick our collective butts and all we have in this case is diplomacy. I get annoyed at hearing this garbage according to the lunatic left if they don't like the response to something it's automatically " it would be different if oil were involved" get real . I would like to see change in china too but can we go in and force the issue ? no way it would be suicidal. so please get off your oil soap box and look at the issues

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 20-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||

You'd change your opinion of them pretty quick if you had the sweet and sour pork I had last xmas eve. : Needless to say Xmas Day '07 is one I will remember for years to come. :
Old 20-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #9
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
FFS another oil conspiracy theorist every action in the world is tied to oil is it ??? think of these issues
  1. numbers china 1.321 million people USA 301 million Australia 20 million people china can win a war through sheer numbers they have plenty of unwilling cannon fodder
  2. economy china are a key player in the world economy and could bankrupt the US if they were cornered
  3. Supply China provides many consumer goods and a war would cause major dissruptions to supply of goods world wide causing further financial turmoil
don't get me wrong oil does have an impact on some deciosions but it is by no means the only factor as sad as it is china is just too big to mess with. if you were out on the town and saw 50 bikies doing something wrong would you take them on ? Same situation China could kick our collective butts and all we have in this case is diplomacy. I get annoyed at hearing this garbage according to the lunatic left if they don't like the response to something it's automatically " it would be different if oil were involved" get real . I would like to see change in china too but can we go in and force the issue ? no way it would be suicidal. so please get off your oil soap box and look at the issues
Youre delusional.

1.) China has no real means of mobilising any such army to anywhere like the US or Aus. So in other words, taking China down would be like shooting fish in a barrel for the US. Wars are no longer like the US civil war, numbers dont mean that much, its equipment and technology. China has a nuke, but cant shoot the thing anywhere that far, they dont have the missile technology to achieve any distance. Nor do they have an endless supply of them.

2.) China does hold a large sum of US dollars, but in normal economic times it is merely 1 month of US GDP. Secondly, Chinas largest market is the US, they cant mess with the US economy without trashing their own. Basically, its an economic cold war situation.

3.) China as a source of cheap labour can be replaced with India. China will be a super power, but as yet, they really arent up to the task.
Old 20-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm delusional! that shiney thing in the bathroom is called a mirror look in to it
  1. china have adequate technology when combined with their numbers to be a serious threat ( bear in mind china has no problem with mass slaughter) sure their technology is not at the level of US technology but they do have the disposable people (their attitude not mine) to use what they have. as for nuclear technology there are many older delivery systems available to china, sure they are unreliable and easier to intercept but with the sheer weight of numbers they would be able to deliver significant numbers of warheads if it came down to that
  2. economic alalysts have been concerned for some time now about the abaility of china to destabilise the western economy especially the US. china trades in unough US currency to be able to cause a major crash of the US dollar with a corresponding crash of the US economy, loss of confidence in the US economy would then result in loss of high tech R&D projects and you can guess from there. it is a matter of china hurting the US far more than the other way round
  3. if it were just labour I would agree but china has the manufacturing infrastructure and many of our consumer items including clothing are of chineese origin. inda theoreticall could eventually fill the void but not in the short to medium term as new manufacturing facilities would need to be financed and built, markets established workers trained and confidence established
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Youre delusional.

1.) China has no real means of mobilising any such army to anywhere like the US or Aus. So in other words, taking China down would be like shooting fish in a barrel for the US. Wars are no longer like the US civil war, numbers dont mean that much, its equipment and technology. China has a nuke, but cant shoot the thing anywhere that far, they dont have the missile technology to achieve any distance. Nor do they have an endless supply of them.

2.) China does hold a large sum of US dollars, but in normal economic times it is merely 1 month of US GDP. Secondly, Chinas largest market is the US, they cant mess with the US economy without trashing their own. Basically, its an economic cold war situation.

3.) China as a source of cheap labour can be replaced with India. China will be a super power, but as yet, they really arent up to the task.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Closed Thread