Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Default Award Level/Position Query

Help me, as I'm not clued up on EBA's and federal & state awards, etc etc.

Recently I was offered a postion within council, internally advertised. I applied for the position which was classified at level 2.1 (Competency based) with a salary of 42,000 per annum. Now, I was accepted, filled in all the forms for the position, etc etc, went through all the correct channels. This was on the 2nd of Jan, the first day back at work after christmas close down. Human Resources just gave me a call then saying that they are sorry, but the position description/letter will have to be re-written as I am a junior (19 years old) and that the level 2.1 classification for that position will not apply to me because of my age. I was informed that my rate will be 28,000 per annum until I turn 20, then it will be 32,000. I've been employed with council for 2 years now, 1 of which was my traineeship, which fair enough when I was on that I was on terrible pay...the year after my traineeship, 2007, I Was still receiving bad pay, only 1k or so more then what I was on on my traineeship, which I thought they would bump it up more than that. But really, my query is, if the position I applied for, states that is a 2.1 classification, with no mention of junior rates applicable AT ALL on any of the forms for the position, isn't that what I should get? Not get told 2 weeks later that it is wrong and it is going to be changed? Also this position was no advertised solely for me, and was open for other candidates.

Now after 2 years experience on coucil systems, a certificate III engineering technician, 5 years AutoCAD Experience (3 of which at school, 2 years here), Certificates for AutoCAD beginner, intermediate & advanced, Mapinfo GIS certificate, extensive development experience i.e operational works, development applications, local law applications, land access & activity notices, as well as being a 1st year uni student studying an Associate degree in engineering, civil major....I don't mean to "brag" but I am fairly clued up and I know my job very well. To which even my supivisor stated during my interview that I was definatly not a level 1 anymore and that I'd be bumped up to a 2.1!!!

So please, anywho knows any info or anything, or perhaps if there is any HR officers on the board. Even if I am wrong and ther is nothing I can do, just post up any info!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Mate that sucks. I've done exactly the same and got my Cert 3 Eng Tech and same as you was on crap pay. Took years to get decent wages. I done my Traineeship 2003. Started studying Engineering at uni externally 2004 and still studying. I'm on $48000 st the moment.
I'm doing Electrical though. There are so many more civil jobs out there. I'm sure you could find yourself on 40g elsewhere with your experience. Look around for another job i say unless you enjoy it at the council and they are a great bunch to work with and for.
There is currently a job advertised here for an electrical draftsperson for $55-$65per hour. 4day, 36hour week but require someone with associate diploma or relevant experience which i have. I love the guys here though, they are great to work for and money isn't everything. Its so tempting escpecially when i just bought a house and living on scraps. LOL. I should go for it. :togo:
Let us know how you get one mate. Look up the queensland government wageline site. The award is pretty bad so on 32you'd be a bout right, but you can get more elsewhere.
Old 15-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Typical of Local Government they think they can do what ever they like. I don't know what you can do about it, but good luck in what ever you do
Old 15-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

I would be going to a solicitor so he can have a look over the contract you have signed.

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Exactly. You've been there two years, so they should be aware of your age, and previous pay grade. They signed you to a contract and then decided they wanted to change it based on age......effectively downgrading your contracted income by between ten and twenty thousand dollars.

If nothing else it shows gross incompetence (how unusual for a government body) and discrimination.

If a lawyer feels this is a winnable case, and you do, they are likely to be looking at a lot more than the pay difference in damages, based on employment history and future earnings (employment history with them dictates you are likely to be a long term employee).
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
If a lawyer feels this is a winnable case, and you do, they are likely to be looking at a lot more than the pay difference in damages, based on employment history and future earnings (employment history with them dictates you are likely to be a long term employee).
Damages?? for what?

Old 15-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I'm a fully qualified engineer with 5 years experience and I still dont get much more than that lol.

It does sound a bit iffy though.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Just and update, I spoke to some my supivisor about the issue just now (he was the supivisor who said I should be paid level 2.1) And his exact words were, 'That's wrong.'

He stated that not only was the letter of acceptance showing that the position was a level 2.1, But all the contract documents were signed by him (Executive Engineer) the Cairns Water Infrastructure Branch Manager as well as the General Manager of Cairns Water. He said that in infact there were a problem with me being paid at level 2.1 the managers would have picked it up and actioned it at their level before it was fowarded to human resources. My supivisor seemed quite disgusted that HR would do this.

I spoke with my co-worker who I have a close relationship with, they said that it borderline discrimination as they can't pay someone in a position like that because of their age. They also said that it seems like they rang me direct, and because I'm younger, that I would just 'agree' to all this.

So I'm just waiting on HR to bring me the 'amended' letter for signing, which I'm not going to sign and take directly to my supivisor who is then going to formally chase it up. I also had a look through the EBA and there was nothing in there which would back up what HR claims!

This is a perfect example of how it is good to have friends in high places.

Get this also, The person in HR said, I'll bring the letter to you today (15/1) so that you can get paid 'correctly' as per junior rates tomorrow (16/1) The nerve!!

I'll win this one yet guys! Stay posted!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Thats the spirit mate. Got to look after the number one man - yourslef. Good luck with it.
Old 15-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is qouted from one of my Training Manuals:

Under the age Discrimantation act, it is unlawful to treat someone less favourably beacuse of their actual or assumed age.

But that doesnt apply to wage increases. This was also in my training manual:

An employer can lawfully pay a youth wage to someone under the age of 21
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #11
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stick it to the man expecially when the man is the government
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #12
goldfire

refuse to sign the new one and wave the old one in their face, I've also been through this myself. Management change at a place I used to work and new person thought to cost cut and lower my salary, needless to say i politely told him to roll up the new letter/contract and insert it firmly into his rectum.
goldfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #13
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Damages?? for what?
If it came to that. Hopefully he can get things worked out in his favour and continue in the new position at the advertised pay rate.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #14
Director

Wink

see your local union rep, despite some peoples opinions....... they arent all thugs

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Director is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post