Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Default Quiting smoking

The last few weeks I have pretty much gotten of the smokes but I feel like crap and my lungs hurt a little, Has anyone been through this, I have heard it does occur to some people when giving up?

SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Duke
The Duke

Stick with it mate, you may get unhealthy and have a few pains for a while. It happened to me. It'll pass in time, hang tough.

When you're ready get into exercise and some sort of fitness or sport. Gotta undo a lot of damage and it takes time and effort but the reward is excellent.
Old 13-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
strik9
aka fpv747

it will be more than worth it. hang in there. check out on the smoke packet, why your lungs hurt.
strik9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Thanks. I was fine before I quit so I figured it had some thing to do with it.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
Kryton

i quit 6 months ago, i revived the thread just a couple of days ago.
i cant really say i had sore lungs after i gave up, i didnt feel sick in any way.
best thing you can do is get up one morning and dont have a smoke. youve already quit that night in your sleep, a good 8 hours or so head start.
try and keep occupied thats another key.
dont hit up the fridge either, if you really feel you need to eat something, have a drink of water instead. thatll help flush out the toxins from your body.
after 3 days your pretty much done. after 2 weeks youll wonder why you thought it was so hard and why you didnt do it sooner.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I love these threads, reminds me its been a good hour since I have had my last... brb smoko
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I gave it a go a while back, and in the morning, without the normal 2 or 3 morning fags, I was drowsy and had really massive headaches all day. I'm on rollies though, so it's not that expensive for me, so I took it up again. I found that (it lasted about a week) smoking took up a lot of my day, so instead of lighting up I would just sit there and stare at the wall. If you have something to occupy yourself with though, I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to et over the cravings.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #8
rodderz

I didnt notice anything... stuff the patches, pills etc just stop buying them and get on with it
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I gave them up 7 years ago. Choice was, eat or smoke. I had a patch for 2 days then went it alone, never gone backwards. You will save HEAPS of money and that means more to spend on your Car
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #10
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went cold turkey almost 2 years ago and I remember I got the flu really bad a few weeks after quitting, had all these things going wrong that I almost started smoking again.
Within 3 months I felt so much better and realised that I could smell things the way they were supposed to be, like coffee for instance etc.

You won't regret sticking to it, you will have loads more energy and feel heaps better fairly soon..

Good luck with it
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 04:36 AM   #11
Josh L
Laser Driver?

It is definitely a hard task... one of THE hardest. After a couple of days, the PHYSICAL addiction is pretty much gone... it is the mental side that we really have to deal with.

What you may be eperiencing is parts of your lungs being used that haven't been in a while. I got all sorts of aches and pains the last time I stopped.

I stopped cold turkey... but I only lasted 2 years before I started again about 2.5years ago. But as I type, I'm making a genuine attempt again. This time 'round, I won't ruin it by saying I can have "just one".

Josh.
Old 14-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #12
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Well done!!! I haven't had a ciggie for 14 days now- nor any alcohol...the two do go hand in hand so I thought I'd give myself a fighting chance by not drinking for a while.
How did I do it and how do I feel? All I said to myself was- I'll not have one today. (NB- often helps to start this when you wake up with a hangover!!)

If you start off by telling yourself that you will NEVER have another ciggie, you'll probably freak yourself out as it seems too big a task to undertake and if you do have one, you'll beat yourself up more about it.

Once you get back to drinking, it is amazing how you don't feel anywhere near as hungover if you haven't been smoking too.

I also ran out and bought a bike- I hate excersise in any shape or form but if you can incorporate it with a fun task like rollerblading, snowboarding etc, its much easier! I now do about 12kms each morning before work and even though I am still really unfit and struggling, I feel quite different (read good!) for the rest of the day!
Oh, talking of side effects- my wife and I have basically had pi$$ poor sleep since we quit but I really attribute this more to the alcohol intake prior to New Year which was frightening!

Cheers, Jamie

Keep going, you will feel better very soon!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Good on all of you for giving it up.

I used to watch my father struggle for years to give it up, the truth was we wanted him to, he didn't really. But when he decided he was for real, bang, cold turkey. He never touched one again.

Myself, I had the odd flirt with smoking on Scout Camps but never took it up. I'm very thankful that I didn't.

For those comtemplating giving up, go for it, there is so much to gain.

All the best with your efforts everyone!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #14
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

I've been trying to give them up, as stated above the hardest thing is having a beer and always thinking about having a smoke. I've had a smoke probably 5 of the last 14 days.

I've chucked a patch on again today cause I had a few yesterday, this week should be pretty good cause I'm just working and got no plans with mates.

Hopefully my will power will last a bit longer this time and I can gte of them for good.

FINGERS CROSSED

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #15
irlewy86
Meep Meep

See a Doctor!!!!!!!!
Old 14-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #16
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

silly men denying yourself the good things in life! i just spent the weekend drinking and smoking, causing a ruckus and having an awesome time with the boys! it was a Fogettable weekend because i only remember half :P
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #17
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
See a Doctor!!!!!!!!

What's a doctor going to do? He'll just tell you to get some patches and gum.

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 03:13 PM   #18
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"I AM YOUR DOCTOR!!! DO WHAT I SAY!!"

Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #19
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVNM
The last few weeks I have pretty much gotten of the smokes but I feel like crap and my lungs hurt a little, Has anyone been through this, I have heard it does occur to some people when giving up?

mmmmm, pretty sure I'd see a doctor about that.
Old 14-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #20
autolover08

When you do stop smoking your body will be adjusting back to normal, it also depends on how long you have smoked.
Nicotine withdrawal does bring tiredness and drowseness and i found that the hardest to overcome.
Never underestimate the power of susbstance addiction or the benefits of not smoking!
You will breath properly, taste and smell more, even your libido will be healthier!
I found my sleeping improved also. _2:

Good luck...
autolover08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Takes a long time to get it out of your system, definately more then 3 days.

My olds gave up about 7 years ago and they havent felt better, when smoking my dad use to cough every morning real bad, now he never does!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #22
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
"I AM YOUR DOCTOR!!! DO WHAT I SAY!!"

ROFL, go the Inignoc & Err from Aqua Teen Hunger Force!

I've always kind of had the attitude that "Quitting is for the weak" and other stupid things, like I'll be a smoker forever type thing, but the last couple of months I've kind of changed my attitude somewhat.

A couple of times late last year I managed to go almost a week without a durry, it was pretty hard to start with and then I sort of got over it, then the weekend came, I had a beer, one beer led to another, and before I knew it I was having a smoke. Which sort of blows everything, as one smoke led to another as I had a bit of a "catch up" on all the smokes I'd missed during the week.

I AM going to give quitting another go soonish, however it will be something I do without telling anyone or making a big fuss of.

Good luck to those who manage to do it, the old me would say something smart to have a go at you, but I want to join your ranks of non-smoking soon.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #23
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

i used to smoke reasonably heavy (2 packs a week ish), and giving that up i got sore lungs, and a flemy throat. i found drinking water was the best thing..

i still have the occasional one (gf is a chimney) and im ok with that.

if you have already gone for 3 days without them, the hard part is done, congrats!!
Old 15-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #24
gozza

Just bought some patches today - Tried going cold turkey and having a lollipop every time i wanted a smoke - Didn't work - I also bought lozenges but they taste like tobacco and they burn your tongue also -

You might think it sounds funny me saying they taste like tobacco - I don't mean the flavour of the smoke. mean unburnt tobacco - Horrible
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post