Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #31
'63Deluxe
Irregular Member

Geez I might have to get another one for that price!

And to think when I got mine I paid wholesale, oh well you have to jump in sometime.
'63Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #32
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

You are heading off on the rite foot. Listen to what others have told you, then do some research and then decide for yourself. Me personally, and my kids, all have HP computer gear. Cheap computer gear is just that, cheap. Cheap to buy, but you will be looking to replace it soooo much sooner.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #33
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Don't tell me they make an LPG LCD?
Uncle Ken
Well, we used to have kero friges....
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 04:33 PM   #34
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default AHhhh!!!!

This is driving me nuts...!!!: :

I went to the markets at North Rocks today.
Looking at the various 19 and 20' wide screen monitors I cam across a guy who had a 4:3 next to a wide screen (both 19'). Bugger I was going to get the wide screen but i made the point of standing there for about 10 minutes looking at both. I found it really hard to look at the wide screen.
I am so use to my 21' CRT (4:3) the wide screen looks smaller.
I'm now back to the drawing board looking for a 4:3 format with DVI inputs

AHhhh and I thought this would be simple
Uncle Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #35
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

I was the same, widescreen to me just doesnt look right..... I guess you'd get used to it though.
I'm still loving my Viewsonic 20".
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #36
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Go to a decent store, and buy the dearest one you can afford.....

After reading a lot of the replies, even I am amazed with some of the replies.....

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 12:03 AM   #37
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd love a widescreen LCD. I'd go a Chimei as well but my 19" HP CRT (semi high end) and my 19" Sun (high end) CRT won't die. My last 17" Sun CRT was around 10yo before it failed and it failed due to a power surge. Power went out and the monitor never turned on ever again.

My mums got a widescreen Benq I think it is? I got used to it real quick. I had her system here for 24hours setting it up.

Least I know some real fancy stuff will be around when I get a new system either at the end of this year or start of next.

There's some good info read TV LCD/Plasma in this thread. I'm keeping my eye on those for future purposes

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #38
Uncle_Ken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My other problem is I work with a 21' and 19' 4:3 at work, so I am use to that ratio, never played game on 16:9 either. I think I'm to old in my ways.
I can get a Samsung 940N for $300 but its only VGA connection.

Uncle Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 05-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #39
ebfalcon13.5
grey bumperz

goto www.computertarget.com.au they are really cheap and dont get one with a built in tuner because it wont have as many other important features and you can get tv cards for $50 at the computer fair.. i would recommend checking out the BenQ 22' widescreen computer monitor for $470 it is awesome value, 5ms, DVI, etc my friend has one and its amazing.. also if you want to spend $2500 go with the apple cinema 30' HD display there so sexy plus you can use them on your pc

edit:
there is also for $399 another 22' widescreen the brand is AOC has 5ms and dvi but personally i would go with the extra $70 and get a BenQ
Old 05-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #40
Ridin-High

uncle ken, i use to work in the IT industry for a distributor and i know for a fact that online resellers can offer the most best pricees..... www.fluditek.com.au www.eyo.com.au get the chimei 22" that will make u moist
Ridin-High is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #41
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zh-Fairlane
uncle ken, i use to work in the IT industry for a distributor and i know for a fact that online resellers can offer the most best pricees..... www.fluditek.com.au www.eyo.com.au get the chimei 22" that will make u moist
Thanks for this, they are both in Sydney
UK
Old 06-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #42
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is actually good timing as my CRT monitor died on Friday and I'm now looking for an LCD replacement. I figure I might as well go as big as possible, but try to keep my cost down below $500. I also have the dilemma of choosing between 4:3 and 16:10 ratios. I have no intention of watching movies, so is the only other benefit of widescreen that you can view 2 things (ie documents) side by side? I'm thinking that maybe a 20" 4:3 might be more suitable for me.
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 09:12 PM   #43
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
This is actually good timing as my CRT monitor died on Friday and I'm now looking for an LCD replacement. I figure I might as well go as big as possible, but try to keep my cost down below $500. I also have the dilemma of choosing between 4:3 and 16:10 ratios. I have no intention of watching movies, so is the only other benefit of widescreen that you can view 2 things (ie documents) side by side? I'm thinking that maybe a 20" 4:3 might be more suitable for me.
Yeah old school for me, 4:3
Any Dell will cost more than $500
UK
Old 09-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #44
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd go 16:10.. some older games don't do widescreen though and are stratched to 16:10 resolution. But most newer ones do.

I went from a 4:3 19" (Samsung 940N) to a 16:10 24" (iMac)... After using it for a couple weeks now im really happy with it so much room to have doc's or programs open side by side and Vid's and DVD's just look great on it, i wouldn't go back to 4:3's..

The Samsung 940N. It is a very decent screen and is avaliable in a DVI in variant aswell. But it doesnt compare to my iMac's screen...

Finally I would stay away from cheap brands like Chimei sp? etc. Having a few cheap ones at work, they just look crap compared to a decent screen.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #45
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, well I've now proved myself a total liar - I've ordered a 22" Dell 16:10!

I realised that as well as having more screen horizontally, it has about the same screen real estate vertically as a 19" screen so I thought what the hell? Figured Dell was also a safer bet than some of the cheapies.
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 08:18 AM   #46
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
Ok, well I've now proved myself a total liar - I've ordered a 22" Dell 16:10!

I realised that as well as having more screen horizontally, it has about the same screen real estate vertically as a 19" screen so I thought what the hell? Figured Dell was also a safer bet than some of the cheapies.
LOL
We have Dells at work and thye have been very good (not that I ever play games at work)
UK
Old 10-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #47
SVR73
Mr Polish

The X Series Sony Bravia 46 inch LCD we got a month back does have inbuilt HD and the best resolution
However I wouldn't chuck out your 51cm CRT. Sports programs look slightly out of focus or blurry on the LCD. Plus it shows up every defect of VHS and Beta movies and even some laserdiscs

My sister bought a conia cheapie and I reckon it's the best picture I've ever seen.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #48
Uncle_Ken

OK I've spent my $$
Got a spare LCD for my 15 year old (Dell Ultra sharp 19") o a free long term lone and I bought for $359 a:
BenQ FP93G X

Screen Size48.3 cm (19")ResolutionNative SXGA (1280 x 1024)Pixel Pitch 0.294 mmBrightness300 cd/m² (typical)Contrast Ratio700:1 (typical)Response Time2ms grey-to-grey (typical)Display Area376.3 x 301.1 mmDisplay Colours16.2 millionViewing Angle140/135 (CR>=10)Input SignalsD-sub/DVIHorizontal Frequency (KHz)31 - 81 KHzVertical Frequency (Hz)60 - 76 HzVideo Bandwidth (MHZ)135 MHzColour Temperature SettingsReddish/Normal/Bluish + user modePower Consumption60W (max)
Standby Power Consumption <1W @ 120V / <2W @ 240VPower Supply90 - 240 ACFeaturesi-Key Auto Adjustment
Kensington Security Lock
VESA Wall Mounting 100x100 mmAdjustments (UP/DOWN)Tilt (forward/ backward) -5 / +20 degreesDimensions (WxHxD)410 x 404 x 168 mm (H x W x D)Weight5 kgAccessories (Standard)Silver / BlackAccessories (Standard)VGA and DVI cableEmission StandardTCO99
My idea was it should last around 3 to 4 years, after that who knows what monitors will be like, I checked the pixels at the shop (all OK) and Benq are close to me in Sydney if I need to return it.
So I hope that this will last, played MOHAA and happy with the look and feel
of the game, I have a DVI connection now, MS Word and Fireworks is OK, played Pirates of the Caribbean on DVD OK as well.

Uncle Ken
Old 13-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #49
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

JC,,

where did you see this offer?
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #50
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007
JC,,

where did you see this offer?
http://www.excelcomputers.com.au/pdetail.asp?pid=3408

They have shops in Canberra, Newcastle, Wollongong and Gosford.
I picked up at Lidcombe

Uncke Ken
Old 24-12-2007, 10:47 PM   #51
Uncle_Ken

Smile But wait theres more ...

Happy Xmas to me.

My sons monitor R.I.P.ed so I gave him mine Benq 19' 4.3 and got this one.

http://www.itestate.com.au/products_...ode=PD00004726

Looking good for 2008

Uncle Ken:
Old 24-12-2007, 11:19 PM   #52
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a 19" Samsung 940B. It comes with digital plugs and has a great stand.

Got mine from CPL for 319.

Look to see what local pc stores stock, and type in the name of that monitor followed by "review" and you can read on what people have experienced with that monitor. It helped me out heaps.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 11:27 PM   #53
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

22" Acer Widescreen for $287. Not as speccy as yours though, 2ms response time? Wow.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #54
Thornie
Off smelting

i have http://www.asus.com.au/products.aspx...40&modelmenu=1
it's damn fine can't see why some of you guys are bagging it for gaming they are exellent, lcd a just a giant leap above crt monitors it aint funny.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #55
Uncle_Ken

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death351
22" Acer Widescreen for $287. Not as speccy as yours though, 2ms response time? Wow.
Yeah I liked the specs for the price

Viewable Area 22" Wide, Pixel Pitch 0.282

Brightness 300 cd/m2, Contrast Ratio (Typ) 3000:1

Viewing Angle (H/V) 160 / 160, Response Time 2ms (GTG) and HDCP Support.
UK
Old 25-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #56
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTTuS
i have http://www.asus.com.au/products.aspx...40&modelmenu=1
it's damn fine can't see why some of you guys are bagging it for gaming they are exellent, lcd a just a giant leap above crt monitors it aint funny.
I had no complaints with my old CRT (big old Sony 51cm). Many a happy hour playing Quake, Halflife and MOH.

But I have watched a wide screen plasma for TV now for a few years so I am use to the wide screen.
Plus the the 22" gives me the height I am use to in the 4:3 ratio.