Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-07-2007, 02:35 AM   #1
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default computer / email question

my wife and her colleagues are getting done wrong at work, she works for a large company, and all her supervisors are hiding wrong doings.

my question is, if we were to set up a fake email account, from home, ie our pc, could her senior management track the owner of the pc or the address of the sender through the IP etc?

any help appreciated, it has to do with theft of tips (very very big tips) and also commissions, thats the only reason I'm getting involved.

(we've worked out that she and her 3 work mates have been done out of an average of 1300 bucks a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EACH!!!!!!!!!!!)

cheers for any help.

Mick.

conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 02:45 AM   #2
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

not if you use a web based one such as gmail or hotmail...
Old 29-07-2007, 02:49 AM   #3
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably not as the internet provider would not give out the info, but in that if a document was send it may be in the properties for example a name or similar, caught a few peoples unawars with that, also there are many clever puppies out there so i suppose caution.

I'm guessing you want to send in dummy's, have proof they were sent but went missing, my golly gosh where are they, the supervisers are running a scam.

Dance lightly and quietly
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by conordec
my wife and her colleagues are getting done wrong at work, she works for a large company, and all her supervisors are hiding wrong doings.

my question is, if we were to set up a fake email account, from home, ie our pc, could her senior management track the owner of the pc or the address of the sender through the IP etc?

any help appreciated, it has to do with theft of tips (very very big tips) and also commissions, thats the only reason I'm getting involved.

(we've worked out that she and her 3 work mates have been done out of an average of 1300 bucks a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EACH!!!!!!!!!!!)

cheers for any help.

Mick.
I think you'd be better off highlighting the problems to a higher power. Sounds like if you got busted doing what you're planning to do, you could be in a worse position than those ripping your wife off.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
RogueDriver

Just to clarify (I have the flu so logical thought is difficult right now), she's not planning on sending stuff to that e-mail address from her work place is she? I'm talking about e-mailing evidence to that e-mail address to use later.
If that's the case then it's easy for them to track everything (including the content of the email she sends if it's unencrypted).
Otherwise, if she's just sending stuff from home using that email address then they can't tell (as long as she doesn't sign up with her real name and address lol).

I was in a slightly similar situation with my last employer and I spent some time contacting the media, etc. In the end I gave up but I hope you have better luck than I did!
RogueDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

the company can track all emails sent. if ti is a large company, you can probably bet that they ARE tracking emails. you need to be very careful what evidence your wife collects and how she does it. if there is another was of collecting proof, such as photocopying documents, then take that route. as soon as she has enough evidence, then go to teh proper authorities. either higher up the food chain at work, or the police. if she goes internally, then make sure she keeps a copy of the evidence.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another way is to take "screen dumps" of the emails and copy them to a memory drive which are of course readily available anywhere, they are small, portable and can carry very large amounts of data, they go up to 16Gb these days and plug into any USB port on the PC.

That way as others have said you are not forwarding emails on from work to another external account, which the company can then trace, if you have to do it this way then definately use a third party account such as Hotmail.

The problem here is getting around the IT Dept in the company, if they are instructed by the bosses to investigate either at the server or even the PC level itself........they will find evidence if your wife or any of her colleagues have left any traces behind, ie: temp files, history, document creation etc.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by conordec
If you use a GMail or Hotmail account, it would make things a bit difficult. You can access those from anywhere and if you use a fake name, you should be alright.
Don't use your home e-mail accounts as yes, they could be possibly tracked back to your ISP to start. An ISP has to give out information in regards to users when asked for by the police. Your wife's company could only probably track it as far as your ISP, which would be in the mail headers anyway.

If you are looking at saving some evidence, how about just getting her to print it off and slip it in to her hand bag. Take it home, put it in an envelope and send it via Australia Post? Post it from near her work or a different post office from where you live and it shouldn't be able to be tracked at all.

Alternatively, save the e-mail, or what ever to a USB flash drive as already suggested.
Old 29-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for all your comments guys.

i think i'll give the whole email bit a miss.... as have just remembered BILL GATES is a shareholder in the business.... whoopsy.

we've decided to write a letter and print it out, and post it from a different area that we live.

fyi, we wouldn't care too much if it was a few dollars here and there, but it's a considerable ammount of money and it's not just her who is getting ripped off.

we'll go the direct route to the General Manager of the company with "highlighted" consequences if action is not met.

Forgot to also say, that we live in Hong Kong, and there are departments that we can inform, but will wait and see the outcome, a few simple measures they could addapt would stop the rot which is what we will be wanting them to action upon.

again thanks for the comments.

mick.
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post