Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default Smith Machine Vs Power rack,

Hi guy's, I am after the expertise off some fellow power lifters around here, I am looking at upgrading to a smith machine, but I'm also leaning towards getting a power rack instead because it is a true free weight exercise machine where as the smith machine still controls some of the movement but as I am training on my own at home, I need the security off the smtih machine as a spotter, my question is, has anybody used a smith machine for strengh/size and gained good results from it, or do you reconmend getting a power rack and controling the movement, I have come across a good smith machine that is built good and I like but I am unsure off which way to go, power rack or smith machine???.

galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Whats a power rack, is that what the squat rack is called? I assume you are talking for squats.

I hate using the Smith Machine for squats because I am not in control of the movement. Plus I am a fan of using free weights for the extra balance work but I definitely wouldnt call myself a power lifter. I am only lifting between 100kg and 140kg in my squats but like doing 5 to 7 sets of 8 to 12 to really feel them.

As far as doing them at home goes the Smith Machine would be safer I would think, as long as you dont mind using it .I am sure you would get good gains as long as you had good form. But squat racks do normally have adjustable safety stops just in case you cant sqeeze out that last rep. It all comes down to which you feel more comfortable using. If you don't like using it you won't so it would just be a waste.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx

Last edited by Powdered Toast Man; 03-06-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Power rack for 2 reasons
1. smith can only hold a certain weight.
2. power rack allows it to follow ur natural body movement

Power racks will come with adjustable safety bars to act as a spot.
FlipXW is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8GLI
Whats a power rack, is that what the squat rack is called? I assume you are talking for squats.

I hate using the Smith Machine for squats because I am not in control of the movement. Plus I am a fan of using free weights for the extra balance work but I definitely wouldnt call myself a power lifter. I am only lifting between 100kg and 140kg in my squats but like doing 5 to 7 sets of 8 to 12 to really feel them.

As far as doing them at home goes the Smith Machine would be safer I would think, as long as you dont mind using it .I am sure you would get good gains as long as you had good form. But squat racks do normally have adjustable safety stops just in case you cant sqeeze out that last rep. It all comes down to which you feel more comfortable using. If you don't like using it you won't so it would just be a waste.
Yeah a power rack and squat rack are pretty much the same, I know where you are comming from as I am more along the same lines as you when you say you like to control the movement, it's just that this smith machine I have found look's good and I will be more focussing on bench and upper body than squats. does anybody know off any good websites to have a look at for power racks/ smith machines???.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

If you have neither for the moment, do dumbbell squats (holding dumbbells whilst doing the squat).

I personally prefer squat rack because it helps develop back stabiliser muscles, which the Smith machine doesn't.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 11:04 PM   #6
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Yeah a power rack and squat rack are pretty much the same, I know where you are comming from as I am more along the same lines as you when you say you like to control the movement, it's just that this smith machine I have found look's good and I will be more focussing on bench and upper body than squats. does anybody know off any good websites to have a look at for power racks/ smith machines???.
In that case I dont know if a Power Rack would work as the safety rails would get in the way when doing bench press. Unless you are prepared to crush your chest a bit lol. I guess if you are focusing on power lifting, ie just lifting small reps of very heavy weight, then a Smith Machine would do the job. I personally still prefer free weights but like your thinking, heavy barbell work on your own would be dangerous.
If you already have free weights get the Smith Machine and mix it up. Use it for very heavy weight low rep sets and free weights for the lighter higher rep sets. That way you build your strength safely and will end up lifting heavier free weights in the end as well.

I dont know any websites. My gym uses Hammer Strength equipment which seems to be one of the best brands out there. The machines have independant sides, that is the left and right arn't connected, to give an even workout. Dont know if they do Smith Machines though and even then I wouldn't imagine they were cheap.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:28 PM   #7
TATT2
100% aussie hillbilly

personally cant stand smith machines, feel like im cheating...
TATT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive read somewhere that its a good idea to use NO COLLARS on your barbell when training alone(more for bench press id guess.)

as then if you get into strife you can just dump 1 side and then the other

which it also helps you improve your movment/technique
as you are making sure to keep the bar STRAIGHT!

im chasing a bench to start weight training
i scored one for free but my brother neglected to get a couple of parts that i NEEDED
but oh well i might be able to rig somthing up

Last edited by blackers10; 04-06-2007 at 07:49 PM.
blackers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #9
Falcon

www.crazycheapfitness.com.au or Just Fitness
I would suggest for well built cheaper equipement.
I got a marked $500 mid width bench from Just Fitness for $350 and I'm happy with it and came with all the attachments. The gear at crazy cheap fitness looks well built as well.

FORD EA SERIES 11, 3.9L CFI, DUAL FUEL, 5 SPEED, LSD, WADE CAM, EXTRACTORS, SPORTS EXHAUST - Daily Driver :
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whats the opinion on the items at say kmart that go for $150 somtimes?
Old 18-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #11
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
whats the opinion on the items at say kmart that go for $150 somtimes?
Cheap and nasty, if your looking into training and have a goal set then I would stay away from them, they are allright for the beginner or every now and then user but I personally would go for something a little more solid, like I did, I made up my mind and bought a solid squat rack and bench, now to get my head down and train hard, but all is going along quite nicely, I have a mate that help's out a fair bit in my trainning, I listen to him a lot because he won the last Aust drug free power lifting titles in his catagory, he's a strong *****.
Old 18-06-2007, 08:56 PM   #12
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like you have a brilliant free resource thats always a GREAT thing to have !! saves LOTS of money too!! (altho can cost more because of the price of beer LOL)