Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #91
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
It all boils down to money. HSV have more.
I dont think its a matter of budgets as such, its well known Ford have more concervative internal design standards which FPV must work to, FPV also have a slightly different perspective of market positioning than HSV too.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #92
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I dont think its a matter of budgets as such, its well known Ford have more concervative internal design standards which FPV must work to, FPV also have a slightly different perspective of market positioning than HSV too.
Not to mention ALOT more backing from the US, remember FPV (and Ford) use nothing from over there, which saves Holden and HSV heaps.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #93
Sprint347
Tickford

it saddens me that the 40th anniversary is a slug, wheres the pride ford.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #94
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Mate dont believe that. Its just a cop out by a Ford employee, their not going to bag their own stuff at a motorshow..LOL

The lack of performance has to do with cash flow, and thats as simple as it gets. Who owns what means nothing with you dont have the $$ to go through with ideas etc.
Thats just silly, FPV is 51% owned by Prodrive. Now you can't try tell me HSV have more money than Prodrive, an organisation thats going to have their own Formula One team in 2008.

Besides you have to spend money to make money and FPV know that. So do Ford. The fact is its not money holding FPV back.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #95
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

A mate of mine had his LS2 Malloo down at G&D for a full De Fillipo exhaust, cold air intake, thermostat, under drive pulley and a custom tune.......i thought it would of creamed my Pursuits 280rwkw, but when it was all said and done it made 256rwkw.....it has 3000k's on the clock and i doubt if it will pick up another 20+rwkw.

There is no doubt that these Boss motors especially the 290's can crank out some awesome power figures, but it just doesnt translate to quick track times.........and it is ALL in the lack of low down torque, and NOT outright power.

Gearing with the old 4 speed auto, and the weight disparity from the BA versus VY/VZ has been levelled with the BF versus VE....and i thought that times would be closer

I openly challenge anyone with a "bolt on" LS1 to ballast it up to my race weight and beat me.......get a converter to put these Boss motors right in their torque range and look out LS1
Old 07-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #96
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Classic
So whats your objective opinion? In other words who do you think would get better results out of these cars and why?
I would say a GT/VE driver out a production series would get better launches than those two. It takes time to get used to a car and get the most out of it, particularly when you are used to racing very different cars.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2007, 02:17 PM   #97
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprjenkins
Besides you have to spend money to make money and FPV know that. So do Ford. The fact is its not money holding FPV back.
Like I said, believe what you want. Hearing something from a Ford employee at a motorshow mightn't always be the truth.

At the end of the day its Ford Performance Vehicles, not Prodrive Performance Vehicles. Actually, have you noticed that Prodrive is pretty much never mentioned?

If thier input etc was so great then marketing would be all over it, but its just not that way. Hell even Proton put a couple of lotus badges or their GTi's.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #98
Alex(AUS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
A mate of mine had his LS2 Malloo down at G&D for a full De Fillipo exhaust, cold air intake, thermostat, under drive pulley and a custom tune.......i thought it would of creamed my Pursuits 280rwkw, but when it was all said and done it made 256rwkw.....it has 3000k's on the clock and i doubt if it will pick up another 20+rwkw.

There is no doubt that these Boss motors especially the 290's can crank out some awesome power figures, but it just doesnt translate to quick track times.........and it is ALL in the lack of low down torque, and NOT outright power.

Gearing with the old 4 speed auto, and the weight disparity from the BA versus VY/VZ has been levelled with the BF versus VE....and i thought that times would be closer

I openly challenge anyone with a "bolt on" LS1 to ballast it up to my race weight and beat me.......get a converter to put these Boss motors right in their torque range and look out LS1
There have been a few standard VE HSVs putting out 245-247rwkw (now that they are well run in). I have also heard of 280rwkw+ with an intake, headers and a tune ...

Alex
Alex(AUS) is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #99
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
I wouldnt buy the BA or BF with that big heavy boss, it just doesnt want to turn corners hard, no matter which part of the marketing hype excites you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The low down power problem I could try fix but they just dont turn hard enough, Not only when I drive them but I work at a track and see pros having their hands full... The Typhoon with R Suspension and simmilar brakes would thrash the GT around a track like the Clubby did. Kind of enforces my above point

Sorry........

If you think the BOSS has low down power issues..........what makes you think the TYPHOON is better ????????? I know its off topic but you are wavering and I think your mission here is to denigrate the GT NO MATTER WHAT ???????? Software has a lot to do with self preservation in these cars. TORQUE tags have an awful lot of influence on the cars low down characteristics. FPV / FORD have to warranty these things for 3 years !!!!!
520 - 550 Nm of torque driven hard has to be carefully engineered to ensure longevity.

What are you expecting these "factory standard" cars to do ????????

Even Allan Moffat thought the GTHO was a PIG of a car to drive and a handful. Woeful brakes and turn in.....terrible brakes!!!!!!!, totally distraught suspension.........the list goes on.

You must understand that these cars are still based on their factory standard siblings and are built to still be affordable.

I took the family out in the GT today for a long drive. We arrived comfortable, unfased and enjoyed the drive. Overtaking slower vehicles was extremely safe and an absolute breeze. Awesome brakes, excellent compliant ride over our crap roads and brilliant predictable handling. EXCELLENT seats and comfort. Yes it is nose heavy, but after miles behind the wheel, you learn to compensate and predict the behaviour............NO PROBLEM. Auto worked brilliantly and the mid range cruising torque is awesome. All up averaged @ 13.5 L / 100 km with the air con on as well. The car NEVER felt strained, even with a boot full of crap and 3 passengers.

THE GT IS A BRILLIANT ALL ROUND TOURING CAR...............PERIOD.....END OF ARGUMENT.

Methinks you need to go over to the Lamborghini Gallardo website and satisfy yourself there..................

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #100
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
I wouldnt buy the BA or BF with that big heavy boss, it just doesnt want to turn corners hard, no matter which part of the marketing hype excites you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The low down power problem I could try fix but they just dont turn hard enough, Not only when I drive them but I work at a track and see pros having their hands full... The Typhoon with R Suspension and simmilar brakes would thrash the GT around a track like the Clubby did. Kind of enforces my above point

Oh...........and by the way.........the Bathurst 12 hour results are in.........have a look........... :king: GO THE BOSS......... :jab:

F6 did OK as well..............

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2007, 04:27 AM   #101
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Well, this topic did the usual meander all over the place... bringing it back to the topic at hand, I just dug out a January 2005 Motor, the cover article is 6.0 litre Clubbie vs. GT-P.

Here's the figures:

0-60km/h
HSV - 2.91
FPV - 2.87

0-100km/h
HSV - 5.61
FPV - 5.77

0-130km/h
HSV - 8.70
FPV - 8.80

0-400m
HSV - 13.78 @ 171.4km/h
FPV - 14.01 @ 166.0km/h

At the bottom of the charts: "Both FPV abd HSV times recorded on different days, under varying, wet conditions".

Nothing new under the sun...
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #102
Sledgehammer
Banned

Seems like a bit of a slap in the face for the RspecGT. It is only a stop gap measure until next model after all. Shows you that you dont make a track car by changing the springs and shocks and putting a few stickers on. The difference between this car and the Commonwhore is quite a margin.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #103
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Oh...........and by the way.........the Bathurst 12 hour results are in.........have a look........... :king: GO THE BOSS......... :jab:

F6 did OK as well..............
I'm sorry mate, I don't usually fire up like this but... Your an Idiot. The top Ford came 9th, how is that a good result. The BOSS was beaten by by not one, not two but three BMW 130i's for christ sake. So yeah the car is ok for a cruiser but don't have a go at old mate when he tells you the car isn't the greatest handler because its looks like its true. I mean he was only 80kms behind a 3 series beemer

RESULTS - RACE (257 laps/1,593.4kms):
POS DRIVERS CAR TIME
1. P. Morris-C. Baird-G. Holt Eastern Creek Karts BMW 335i
12:00:10.488
2. C. Atkinson-D. Herridge-C. Crocker Subaru Australia WRX sti
12:01:18.837
3. R. Bates-B. Hughes-P. Gazzard Scott's Transport Mitsubishi EVO8
253 laps
4. C. Pither-B. Lynton-B. Morcom Rondo BMW 335i 253 laps
5. N. Crompton-G. Denyer-C. Alajajian Subaru Australia WRX sti 248
laps
6. A. Moffat-D. Russell-S. Juniper Australian Motor Finance BMW 130i
247 laps
7. D. Grant-M. Cini-M. Eddy Bended Elbow BMW 130i 246 laps
8. L. Searle-P. Kelly SAE College BMW 130i 244 laps
9. C. Delfsma-J. Elsegood-J. Bowe Century 21 Ford Hazelbrook XR8 244
laps
10. M. Trimble-D. Ryan-A. Fawcett Robinson Racing Ford FVP F6 240
laps
FASTEST LAP: Baird 2-mins 32.594-secs
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2007, 08:39 PM   #104
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

even though it isn't a ford, a good result for chris atkinson coming in 2nd in the wrx. hope he has a better run in the wrc this year.
why is crompton, denyer and moffat racing in wrx's? :