Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #31
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well its just another bogus attempt to look like they are doing things to help the road toll. banning phones while driving, good idea. banning handsfree, bad idea, because whats the difference with somone talking to you on the phone or in the car?.

restricting p platers to a passenger limit is also ridiculous. what would happen if you were the only designated driver and 4 of your friends were drunk? you would have to leave them there or make them take a taxi home from the city all the way back to your suburb, who's going to pay for the taxi that the government is making you get? you. teenagers don't always make that much money and it's not fair to expect them to pay 50+ buks just to get home.

yes, there are good p plate drivers. eg: i have two mates. one drives a pulsar he smokes and drives talks on the phone (which he got caught out for), he speeds and tail gates. my other mate drives an el falcon. he has so much more power then my other ates pulsar but he never goes 2 km's over the limit, he never tail gates, wouldn't even think about smoking and then driving and pulls over to take a call. its people like him, good people who are being unfairly targeted because of the minority of hoon teen p platers.

i heard there has been a 200,000 thousand dollar decrease of fines so the government officials or whater are trying to make tougher laws with speed cameras like putting them anywhere without warnings. its just a sneaking ploy to raise revenue, when are they going to let people drive and stop enforcing us with so many rules?

0 demerit points? so if its wet and your back wheel spins a little and you get a smartass cop see you, then you will lose your license? even my dad feels sorry for p platers. enough is enough get of your high horse and make some real changes
Old 10-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #32
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptnKaos
Here's an idea ............. Why don't we start teaching the (OUR?) kids how to drive instead of just teaching them how to pass the licence test?

My son will not be permitted to get his licence till he can convince me he can drive safely & responsibly.
That's exactly what i'll be doing with my kids one day...
But in all honesty isnt that the responsibility of all parents who supervise their Kids while they're on L plates?
Some of the ownus must go back onto parents to ensure their kids are taught correctly and responsibly too....
I still firmly believe most of the issues come back to driving ATTITUDE and on road BEHAVIOUR, not driving skills.

Im not suggesting this relates to you whatsoever, but sometimes i get the feeling we want the "authorities" to shoulder all the responsibilities, and take none ourselves when in fact good driver education and ATTITUDE should start at home....

Old 10-01-2007, 11:07 AM   #33
DJ1979
and then some

If you ban smoking in cars i reckon he road rage numbers will increase veeeerrryyy quickly....

How is that McDonalds get targetted for everything unhealthy, but drive thru's are still perfectly fine.
I do not believe for one second that anyone pops through the drive thru to grab a qtr pounder to take home and THEN eat. Reality is tonnes of maccas meals get devoured whilst driving.

Surely that can be more distracting than talking on a handsfree, especially when you lose the pickle to the seat......
DJ1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #34
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1979
If you ban smoking in cars i reckon he road rage numbers will increase veeeerrryyy quickly....
Why?? because smokers will have to think to take a smoke before they go anywhere??? Most smokers I know nowadays don't smoke in cars anyway!!

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 11:58 AM   #35
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's one for you all:
How do you make people realise an action or behaviour is dangerous or wreckless AND adjust their behaviour without banning it??????? and imposing a fine for doing it???????

I.E talking on phones while driving, speeding, drink driving, wreckless driving, etc

Old 10-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #36
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Why don't they just ban cars on all roads, seems this is what they will do before education as education cost the Government money and does not bring in any revunue.

How many 1st Year P Plate Fatals where there last year in NSW compared to the total fatals.......?

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #37
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
How many 1st Year P Plate Fatals where there last year in NSW compared to the total fatals.......?
As a % compared to other drivers twice as many from memory....

Old 10-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #38
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbystang
Why?? because smokers will have to think to take a smoke before they go anywhere??? Most smokers I know nowadays don't smoke in cars anyway!!
Smokers have a choice here a quick messy death in a car accident after trying to get the buring thing out of their crutch.

Or a slow horrible death in a cancer ward.

My choice for them is the cancer ward because I dont want them looking for the burning thing around me on the roads.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #39
DJ1979
and then some

Quote:
In all seriousness, yes, I am sure smoking is a distraction, but in all honesty after being a smoker for 6 years I never lost butt to my crotch. Tho I only smoked in my car on long drives, you can see how many people smoke in the car on their daily drive.

My point was enforcing non smoking in cars, which i am not for or against, will probably cause a smokers temper to explode ala road rage. I am not saying that it is wrong or right, I just expect that would probably happen...
and further to that, there are SO many things to distract a driver. How many times do you see poeple paying more attention to their stereo, applying make up, I have even seen someone reading a paper on theior steerign wheel while in peak hour.

So, is a handsfree mobile THE biggest distraction whilst driving? I think not, and surely a ban on hands free (should it be enforced) should be applied to ALL drivers, not just P Platers. We all have a responsibility to pay attention whether we have been driving for 3 days or 30 years.

Last year I was stationary on my motorbike in peak hour and the car behind me ran straight into the back of me. Her excuse? "i was looking at the Melways and didn't see you..." 6 months of physio later I am sort of back to normal, and luckily I wasn't killed, but the driver was woman in mid thirties
, not a p plater should have been paying attention. She wasn't.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #40
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
will probably cause a smokers temper to explode ala road rage
If people have this much trouble with an addiction then its time for some medical help.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #41
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
If people have this much trouble with an addiction then its time for some medical help.
A cigarette for most works as a calmative, because of their addiction to nicotine. If they do not smoke, they get on edge. They're not insane. lol.
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #42
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4ford
A cigarette for most works as a calmative, because of their addiction to nicotine. If they do not smoke, they get on edge. They're not insane. lol.
I didn't say anyone was insane. But if an addiction is causing mood problems then its time to assess if the addiction is worth it.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #43
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
I didn't say anyone was insane. But if an addiction is causing mood problems then its time to assess if the addiction is worth it.
You will not find an addiction that doesn't cause mood problems, thats what an addiction is. In not so technical terms, addiction = you gotta have it. Addiction replaces the "want" aspect of lighting up a cigarette with a "need" aspect. I'm not saying its right, but its a choice people make and have to live with the consequences.
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #44
nobbystang

Sounds to me like the usual whine, its not my fault, I can't take responsibilty for my actions!!!!

I thought councils were the biggest joke going around with their ridiculous laws, however this p plate lobby or whatever they are calling themselves seems to be heading in a worse direction. Everyone on here has the same ideas even though we are from different backgrounds, education more so than restrictions is the answer. We also except that accidents happen and not all of them can be prevented, due to the 'human' factor. The trouble with these groups is they believe all accidents are preventable, and while they are in a perfect world, their ideas do nothign but punish the wrong people.

Like I try to keep saying at work, why should I be penalised for something some moron did. It might have been alright 10-15 years ago when that person would be taken aside and re-educated by his workmates, but now you can't. And they're still unwilling to make individuals accountable anywhere. What hope have we got when the courts here the sob stories and take pity.

Bottom line is its parental attitudes that have changed and for the worse. While never abused, I was more petrified of my Dad than what anyone else could do to me that made me think twice. Now adays you have the parents treating their kids like princesses, and not making them accountable for their actions!! just my 2 cents

Previous:
VH Commodore
Old 10-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #45
nobbystang

Quote:
Last year I was stationary on my motorbike in peak hour and the car behind me ran straight into the back of me. Her excuse? "i was looking at the Melways and didn't see you..." 6 months of physio later I am sort of back to normal, and luckily I wasn't killed, but the driver was woman in mid thirties
, not a p plater should have been paying attention. She wasn't.
Sorry to hear about your accident, same happened to me, except I was in my car, luckily hyundai excel, at lights enjoying my coffee when I got hit from nowhere. She was on a hands free call which was obviously more important than her driving.

Just out of curiosity, did anything happen to her??? Any charges??

Previous:
VH Commodore
Old 10-01-2007, 04:00 PM   #46
DJ1979
and then some

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your accident, same happened to me, except I was in my car, luckily hyundai excel, at lights enjoying my coffee when I got hit from nowhere. She was on a hands free call which was obviously more important than her driving.

Just out of curiosity, did anything happen to her??? Any charges??
Police didnt attend, I was able to walk away from the accident, so no ambo's either. So nope. No charges, she seemed remoresful, didn't help....

Most frustrating thing was that there was NO damage to my boke or her car, what caused the problem was my luggage pod smashed into my lower back...

I don't ride bikes anymore.....

It's funny how things work. In my first year of driving i was involved in a 5 car accident where a car cut into my lane, didn't see a statinoary car turning right, obstructing teh lane, ran straight into it, car in front had no where to go, hit it. i *nearly* pulled up in time and kissed the bumper, car then hit me from behnid. Police did attend and we all got charged with careless driving. Didn't quite seem fair when one persons actions result in this sort of thing. I was supposed to be far enough behind to be able to stop. If the car in front stopped under brakes instead of stopping like it hit a wall I would have pulled up. But that's the law for you...
Old 10-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #47
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Tougher measures, beyond this, will only occur after the next NSW election.
So much for that hey. It might be after the elections are held but restrictions on P-Plate passengers and disqualification for any speeding offense by p-platers was announced today. It starts on July 1.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #48
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well I'm on my full licence, but on my P's on the motorbike, so does this mean I can't use my handsfree?

But what if I had one of those lolly mobilephones... you can't just eat the lollies without the melody being played.... lol...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #49
DaNeoS
Banned

if this is the case, shouldnt taxi drivers be banned from using the CB / 2 way radio , and there computer that shows up all the jobs, police from using cb / 2way whilst driving also?
DaNeoS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #50
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

they're exempt which is a bit unfair !! :( and if it was illegal for police to use mobiles/radio etc etc. whilst driving.. who is there to enforce it lol ~

on top of all that, the computer test is going to be much harder to pass P's test in NSW, also passenger limits (don't quote me on this bit; but I think they said curfew?), now mobile phones turned on (or was that in the car at all) :eclipsee_
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 06:06 PM   #51
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

[QUOTE=kyro_02]get punished for having a mobile in your car... i always talk on the loud speaker never have a problem... shows they cannot patrol everything...

One of my staff members got a ticket for doing just what you do, on the Nepean HY, just befor xmax, 3 points and a fine
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #52
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

oh wells, i've never had a problem yet... tinted windows helps too lol. i'd like them to see through 20% tint, or even 35% while driving along with the loud speaker on(in your lap)
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #53
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

What about the people that HOLD THE BLOODY THING 10CM AWAY FROM THEIR FACE WITH LOUDSPEAKER AND THINK ITS OK!! :
Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #54
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This law is a waste of time.

The number of times I see people driving out of carparks or their own driveway while using a phone is ridiculous.

People are just inconsiderate and irresponsible and no matter what law you apply, people will ignore it.

Waste of time.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post