Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-12-2006, 02:43 AM   #1
kingcobra
Starter Motor

Default 2 turns from a potato cake

hi all,
i was just woundering what i should do about this

i bought a 97 explorer,When i first bought it back in may i had a problem with the tranni.After the car yard tryed to snake me on the tranni i decided to run it down to my mechanic to get a roadworthy to buy some leverige on the tranni bussiness..i was wright the bucket of **** had like 10 things on the list to be fixed....so i went back to the caryard and gave him an altermatum to eithier fix every thing on the list or fix all the major things and the tranni we all know what he pick....(tranni n major for all you who didnt guess)it took them just under a month...when i got my car back just the day after i noticed it was ****ing tranni oil....so i lost it for another day...by then it was mid june....

back in october i was doing a early shift in the city on the way in i noticed a vibration.......after that i drove it to my mechanics again to get the front bearings,brakes,tyres and wheel balance done hopeing it would get rid of it...
he phoned me and said hey the bearings are built in to the hub and they cost $1300 to replace,after picking my mouth up off the ground i told him this might be a later thing and went and picked it up.....

i used the explorer twice more 1/to drive my sisters kids home 2/to pick up a tv both times i had my gf and kids in the car....

last night i got on the **** and started searching the net for this problem..

when i got up today 2pm i got under it with a screw driver and started going on the front uni's when i noticed the tailsharft from the gearbox end was hanging off by 2 bolts....now if it had 3 in it i wouldnt be worried but for the fact it had 2 and 1 of them 2 were in by just 2 half turns is the bit that worried me

any one who knows about cars knows when u drop it from the gearbox end it will catipolt the car....after shitting my self i went and got a friend from down the road who gave me 2 high tensile bolts and a bottle of lock tight,as i was putting the 2 bolts in and tightning the other 2 bolt i didnt notice the bolts going in hard they actually went in like flin (easy as)

do you think when they did the work on the tranni they might of forgot to tighten the tailshaft bolts?

and

after all the **** it has given me do you think i should go to vic roads or c/affairs about it??????

oh and does any 1 know a good mechanic in the melbournes west?????

any suggestions or info would be gr8.....

oh by the way the caryard is syd ellis on ballarat rd braybrook.....

thanks alll
shane

kingcobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
Rob
Living the dream

I actually purchased my first car from Syd Ellis motors, it was a good car, but the exhaust was buggered, so I got them to replace it. They tore an old, half rooted exhaust off a VN and welded it onto the VP I had bought. It lasted about 3 months. Take it to them, make a big fuss, and tell them if they dont fix the car, you'll go to Vicroads or ACA or something silly like that. Its worth a try..
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
crossingover

hi bud if i were you i would of taken photos of oil leaking,tailshaft bolts and copies of any mechanical inspection and lodge it to consumer affairs as a claim.It will cost you roughly $60 to lodge claim and then watch the car yard pull their act together after they get their summons.Once they get their summons re approach them and ask them to fix other items needing repair.If they agree cancel claim ,if they dont well go ahead and kick their ****.
Old 24-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
XRQTR
TBA Customs

I thought Syd Ellis closed down??

If you need a good mechanic give me a pm of who you currently use.

Merry Christmas
Stef
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #5
quest

I saw an F350 4x4 here that dropped the front drive shaft from what looked like a U-joint failure
Guy driving said there was a big bang , then the truck jumped like he hit a really big pot hole in the road, and it quit moving
When we got it at the shop the transfer case & what was left of the drive shafts were laying in the box ( the guy walked back and picked up the peices)
Looks like the front shaft jambed into the ground when the U-joint failed & snapped the transfer case off the back of the transmission
There were only a few scrape marks on the rear axle where he ran it over
quest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 07:28 PM   #6
STK-XR8

take him for everything his got ,most of his cars are s#%t heaps,

friend of mine goes there just to take the cars out give them a hiding then take 's it back ,nah dont like this one how bout that one and they give him the keys.

syd ellis is where nissan apple use to be, city bound right hand side ,cnr of ashley and ballarat.
STK-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2006, 02:44 AM   #7
kingcobra
Starter Motor

*bump*
kingcobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2006, 05:43 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

i'd say your mechanic isn't too good either. how did he not discover loose tailshaft bolts. you take the car in complaining of a vibration and he knows you've had tranny trouble surely you would think he'd check the driveline.

i've never bought a car from a car yard and probably never will. you might get a warranty and what not but most times its not worth the paper its written on and other times you end up with poor quality workmanship as outlined in this thread. you should be able to choose your repairer and send them the bill.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post