Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #31
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike
I actually have lived in the bush, and I know how difficult it can be to "pop down to your local dealer"; I am also becomming all too aware of customers coming through to my department being absolutely mislead and basically told outright lies. As there is a case manager handling your issues, its probably not something I could resolve any more by simply looking into. If you have been promised a handset for $5, and the cheapest it can be is $23, well bottom line is "I'm very sorry you were told that, but this is deal and this is as good as it gets". As much as Telstra values each and every customer, if the phone repayments are $23 per month (at NO profit to Telstra, or interest), we can't exactly PAY you to use our service. Its magnificent we have the only network to cover as far as it does, but unfortunately it probably leaves you feeling somewhat monopolised and like you don't have another option. Part of what's being put in place at the moment is an initiative whereby I can forward a report on another consultant, or a dealer, if their information or sales practice has been poor or misguided. It sounds like you've been given the runaround and its not how the business principles state that it should be. So I trust your case manager will take all that onboard when calculating a solution and reimbursment for your efforts.
Thanks for that matey ...... On the website the untimed plans have in fact got my phone as a freebie with the deal for $35/month, so heres hoping they will use my suggested option of that plan to help us both out ....... we both lose a little but it will keep me a lot happier ;)
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #32
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I believe I know the answer allready but . . . Will current 3g handsets eg. current nokias be able to be used on the Next G network in CDMA areas where there previously were no GSM network whatsoever? I am guessing no because of the different frequencies.
PHATAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #33
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATAL
I believe I know the answer allready but . . . Will current 3g handsets eg. current nokias be able to be used on the Next G network in CDMA areas where there previously were no GSM network whatsoever? I am guessing no because of the different frequencies.
No, all existing 3G Nokias work in UMTS2100 not UMTS850 (NextG). Some of the Nokias are quoted as working on GSM850, this is the same freq but a different system.

The Moto Maxx is the only handset so far that does UMTS850;GSM900/1800/1900;UMTS2100, therefor the only handset that will work on 3G on 3/Optus/Vodafone/Telstra3/NextG provided you have the appropriate SIM installed.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #34
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Cool thanks for that. Guess I will be waiting for the new Nokias to come along then.
PHATAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 08:42 PM   #35
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

If you really want a Nokia, grab the N95 when it becomes available early next year.

If you're just familiar with the Nokia menu system and don't want to change, get a Samsung A701 - depending on your needs from as little as a $30 all inclusive Phone Plan - as they are "very simillar" (customers tell me they are identical)

As for using an existing 2100 handset in the bush, no the different frequency means you will only get 3-G 2100, not 3.5-G 850. The frequency means it won't work although that can be flashed (except Nokias, which require an IC to be physically changed internally); and well the speed of data transfer etc. you won't be able to use the full Next-G features, only access its coverage. In saying that, if Telstra hasn't tested and authorised the unit, there's no guarantees it will even work then; as there are slight differences between networks - even those with "identical" frequencies.

Yes MotherNature the 35c Untimed Phone Plan 24M has that phone for $0 (I refuse to use the word 'free' in these cases) so that should be an option for you, so long as you can find an ABN (as its a business plan)

Last edited by Big Mike; 21-11-2006 at 08:53 PM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #36
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are a business/have an ABN .... were farmers :P

Have done my homework ....... all bases covered ;)
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 11:27 AM   #37
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Well ive kinda found myself on the NextG network.... woops. Lol.

To the thread starter - this stuff is FAST. Scary fast. I'll be "not-using" it for a while until i get my butt into gear and add on a data-pack. Lol, pay as you go access rates + broadband speed = potential for a nasty phone bill.

But yeah - broadband browsing from a PDA is pretty impressive, i must say.
Old 22-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #38
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

If you guys want, I can organise the Data Packs: (or anything else, really. New phones, plans, whatever)

$5 = 1MB incl, then 0.5 of a cent per KB thereafter
$8 = 3MB incl, then 0.26 of a cent per KB thereafter
$29 = 70MB incl, then $2.05 per MB thereafter.

Just PM me your mobile number and I'll call you in a break or something and confirm which one you want - then add it to your account for you. They are monthly charges, but not contractual - you can have them taken off anytime by calling 125 111.