Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: What is your thought on it?.
Nothing wrong with it. 78 35.14%
Maybe too soon. 37 16.67%
Bad taste. 55 24.77%
South Park have lost the plot. 15 6.76%
Who really cares. 37 16.67%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 08:03 PM   #61
Scott

Well, here is Comedy Central's opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News

South Park defends Irwin sketch

Steve Irwin was a national hero in Australia
The TV network behind controversial cartoon South Park has defended the latest episode which makes fun of the death of TV naturalist Steve Irwin.
The episode shows a bloody Mr Irwin with the stingray that killed him in September hanging from his chest.

John Beyer, of TV watchdog Mediawatch, called it "grossly insensitive".

Comedy Central said: "The South Park guys do inappropriate things all the time...Their goal is to make people laugh, not to offend people."

In the episode, shown on Comedy Central in the US this week, Mr Irwin is at a Halloween party hosted by the devil.

Other guests include Hitler and Diana, Princess of Wales, but Irwin is thrown out because he is not in fancy dress.

The stars of South Park are a group of young friends

Tony Fox of Comedy Central said: "We recognise that they [the South Park creators] do a lot of provocative things - is this one of them, probably yes.

"They are largely free to do what they like in terms of creativity and kinds of subject matter, and this is perhaps just another example of that."

The expletive-heavy humour of the cartoon, created by Matt Stone and Trey Parker, is considered too close to the bone for many people but loved by many others.

Previous episodes have also caused controversy by making fun of actor Tom Cruise and Scientology, the Virgin Mary and the Prophet Muhammad.

But Mr Beyer said of the Mr Irwin sketch: "Mr Irwin's family are obviously still grieving about their tragic loss and it seems inappropriate to me that South Park should be trying to make some capital out of it.

"To lampoon somebody's death like that is unacceptable, and so soon after the event is grossly insensitive and shows a great deal of disrespect for his family."

The 44-year-old naturalist - known as the Crocodile Hunter - died after being struck in the chest by the stingray's barb while filming a documentary on Queensland's Great Barrier Reef.

He was mourned by thousands of people in Australia, who considered him as a national hero because of his conservation work.

Tributes and donations to his charity Wildlife Warriors also flooded in from around the world and more than 5,000 people attended a memorial service at Mr Irwin's Crocoseum stadium in Queensland.
Gotta say again that I laughed at the sketch and support their right to ptu out what they want into the public arena, but, hang on a minute, where do the financiers and promoters of this show defend it with the odd Halloween story? No mention of Halloween here......

This extract from The Daily Telegraph:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daily Telegraph
The show's creators have defended the episode with a callous disrespect for a family still grieving.
"We have offended people in the past and probably will again,'' a South Park spokesman told a London newspaper.

"We know that regular watchers will not be shocked.''
Nup, no mention of Halloween here either??

Last edited by GTP006; 01-11-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #62
Sledgehammer
Banned

Seen the whole episode, not much in it, but classic South Park again.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:15 PM   #63
protd
TUFF FORDS

i heard on the local radio station yesterday that the yanks were selling erwin kakye's hat and stingray barb through the chest outfits for halloween now i think that far worse than some little skit on a cartoon..

not sure if someone posted it could'nt be stuffed reading all the posts
Old 01-11-2006, 09:29 PM   #64
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
Nup, no mention of Halloween here either??
You must be blind if you don't see the halloween theme of the party, pumpkin head over right shoulder of devil at the start, then the fact that he says people are offended and asks him to leave thinking it's just someone else dressed in a costume, the costume bit at the end is the joke.

And if you don't think they're making more fun of there own, then what the hell do you think 'Team America' was about?? Durkha Durkhastan??

I'm not saying it was in the best taste, but people are more p'd off by a cartoon rather than the fact that there is already a halloween costume in the US. How would a grieving widow explain that if she had been back home visiting family and the person knocking on the door trick or treating was wearing one??
Old 01-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #65
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Probably would be funny in time but this occurred only 10 or so weeks ago. They would have had to pull the lead out to get this made which smacks of cheap opportunism. I generally like Trey Parker and Matt Stone but this is just a little too soon. Before arguing imagine it was your hero brockie. I could have it published that he beat his wife along with the myriad of other awful things he did and you would most probably be saying that I should have some respect. Well, same goes here.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 01-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #66
protd
TUFF FORDS

if your talking to me go easy i did'nt study the cartoon or the thread just saying i heard it on the radio
Old 01-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #67
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Not talking to you, talking to all those who think I and others are somewhat demented for not sharing their sense of humour over a recent death where the person is shown in hell. For me, that would raise alot of issues with kids who happen to see it, or hear about how the guy best reknowned for doing the right thing ended up in hell.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 01-11-2006, 09:38 PM   #68
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by protd
if your talking to me go easy i did'nt study the cartoon or the thread just saying i heard it on the radio

If by that you mean me then no I'm not bud, I am agreeing that people are more p'd at the toon rather than the thousands of US kids that will be dressed this way for Halloween, I wonder which would be the bigger insult??

Kids can be forgiven, think about the number of adults going to the parties dressed like this.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:46 PM   #69
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

I reckon the skit is quite funny really AND I am a Steve Irvin fan.

Think about it - do you reckon Steve Irwin would laugh at it? Of course he would, he woould be pis*ing himself with laughter !!

Well done Southpark!
Old 01-11-2006, 10:07 PM   #70
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
You must be blind if you don't see the halloween theme of the party, pumpkin head over right shoulder of devil at the start, then the fact that he says people are offended and asks him to leave thinking it's just someone else dressed in a costume, the costume bit at the end is the joke.
Obviously the show had a halloween theme given that Halloween just happened. I simply disagree with your opinion that the point of the sketch was to have go at the yanks. I think it was to use Irwin for a laugh, which they succeeded in. Irwin was easy fodder for the "Hell on Earth" party as it was called because a) he's dead, b) he died recently which fits South Parks outrageous style and c) he always wore a costume/themed attire.

I would think that if South Park or Comedy Central wanted to defend their story, your theory would come in handy. Instead, they have just said that we offend people, our fans won't be surprised.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #71
Fairmont I6
sideways

people are too sensitive, if you dont like something on Tv then dont watch it! but leave it on so those of us that choose to watch it can. why should we have to wait 2 years before its on tv? i know its on the net but still..
Old 01-11-2006, 10:20 PM   #72
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

it was ok to make fun of him when he was alive and an idiot.

its not ok to make fun of him now that he is a dead idiot.

it all makes perfect sense im told.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 01-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #73
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
c) he always wore a costume/themed attire.
Ha??

That would be called a uniform, work clothes, appropriate work attire as advised by Au OH&C regulatory standards

Costume???

Themed???

Hmmm

Quote:
I would think that if South Park or Comedy Central wanted to defend their story, your theory would come in handy. Instead, they have just said that we offend people, our fans won't be surprised.
Yes.................hmm still looking for the bit where they say that they had some intention of offending certain people............................................ ................Nope, not their.

Perhaps people get offended and it would not surprise there fans as they are used to this kind of feedback from those that would like to make an issue of a subject, regardless of intent on there part. Probably just saying they are over it and have a rubber stamp answer that works in all cases.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:32 PM   #74
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard

I must say I larfed and actually snorted when I read this SB

Also as someone mentioned they had Lady Di in their as well, if you want someone that did a hell of a lot of good why not kick up a stink about her being in Hell??

[QUOTE=FairmontI6]people are too sensitive, if you dont like something on Tv then dont watch it! but leave it on so those of us that choose to watch it can. why should we have to wait 2 years before its on tv? i know its on the net but still..[QUOTE]

Another case of this happening as some may have heard, tonight is the final show of the Glasshouse simply because the poli's didn't like some of the political sattire of the show.

Which reminds me
Old 01-11-2006, 10:33 PM   #75
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Ha??

That would be called a uniform, work clothes, appropriate work attire as advised by Au OH&C regulatory standards
Appropriate work attire? Hahahahaha...
Since when are khaki boy scout clothes appropriate work attire for surfing or diving? give it a rest,I didnt think it was that funny,only because they didnt go far enough though,I agree with sourbastard,an idiots an idiot,live or dead..
Old 01-11-2006, 10:36 PM   #76
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Since when are khaki boy scout clothes appropriate work attire for surfing or diving?
surfing and diving no. Bait. yes.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 01-11-2006, 10:42 PM   #77
Scott

Quote:
Ha??

Costume???

Themed???

Hmmm
LMFAO!! You can't be serious! bwahahahahaha, yep, just the right attire for the logies. yep, just the right attire for diving. yep, just the right attire for TV interviews. Thanks for the laugh!
Old 01-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #78
bEAn86

its south park! if you dont like it dont watch it! P.S i hope people on here dont cr.a.p on about how wrong it is! Just get over it!
Old 01-11-2006, 11:11 PM   #79
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Tried to, unfortunately some people are like a dog with a bone, they just don't want to let go.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:11 AM   #80
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Probably would be funny in time but this occurred only 10 or so weeks ago. They would have had to pull the lead out to get this made which smacks of cheap opportunism. I generally like Trey Parker and Matt Stone but this is just a little too soon. Before arguing imagine it was your hero brockie. I could have it published that he beat his wife along with the myriad of other awful things he did and you would most probably be saying that I should have some respect. Well, same goes here.
What you say is all true, But no-one is listening. I'm a ex South park watcher used too see it after the soccer on SBS. It takes it toll after some time.
But i remember in the PB thread someone said something a little nasty about PB and that person was given the riot act;).
I don't think anyone has said south park should be taken from the screens at all, Just have some RESPECT for the dead espically when the soil on his grave is still loose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont I6
people are too sensitive, if you dont like something on Tv then dont watch it! but leave it on so those of us that choose to watch it can. why should we have to wait 2 years before its on tv? i know its on the net but still..
Generally some get sensitive when it comes too the dead who arnt here too defend themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard

That's because when living he could at least told you too **** off!. Dead he can't;).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bEAn86@hotmail.com
its south park! if you dont like it dont watch it! P.S i hope people on here dont cr.a.p on about how wrong it is! Just get over it!
Good advice people didn't like it and people that did should get over it and accepted that, We know it's been some time since SP have had some type of large controversy.
Now everyone is getting defensive because Aussie's dont like it, But think about it more and you will see it came from the U.S where right now they are split down the middle with SP right now on this.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:28 AM   #81
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

It is very disrespectful to do it this early, If i was his wife/daughter at this stage I would find it very distressing! In a year or so I wouldnt mind. He was a goodbloke who doesn't deserve such disrespect so early!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:32 AM   #82
owl

TO me its typical human insensitivity
Old 03-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #83
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

I don't mind watching South Park and have laughed hard at when they take off other celebrities dead or alive, it's just what they do, someone is always going to get offended!

It wasn't that bad anyway judging by the video!
Old 03-11-2006, 05:37 PM   #84
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

South Park rulez Mmmky? for the record, I voted who cares?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #85
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having seen this episode, I don't really get what all the fuss is over. Plus its not due to air here until late next year, by when it won't be too soon.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:03 AM   #86
vik351
Banned

Well this is the way I always saw it,A bit like Alby Mangels,poetic license for the cameras ...

Old 05-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #87
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

I think they went easy on him did any see the episode with Russel Crowe LOL!
Old 06-11-2006, 07:33 AM   #88
HOON69
Banned

there us def a funny side to what south park do,but hey i bet if they did a clip 7 days or a month after 9/11 about terrorism i bet they wouldnt be oh so popular see they love to make fun of others but im over it i hate south park its childish BS that if your IQ is low enuff you'll laugh at their half funny crap they do.
Closed Thread