Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-11-2006, 11:06 AM   #1
ben131185

Default BA/BF XR6T vs XR8 1/4?

Has anyone raced a stock XR6T against an stock XR8 over a quarter mile?
I would think that the extra 20kw in the xr8 would get it over the line, but a few people (who dont know that much about cars) have tried to argue with me that the xr6t would beat a ba xr8 so i was just wondering if anyone has done it?

ben131185 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I was a betting man, my money would be on the Xr6T - I think it would be extremley close though.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
ben131185

Either way, i'd still have the xr8 just because its an 8!
ben131185 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
SlikedTurb

i'm calling the XR8 over the 1/4. but an XR6T would win hands down 0-100.
the Turbo has got alot better initial Acceleration. but the XR8 would reel it in at bout the 350 metre mark.
SlikedTurb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #5
gtfpv
GT

all i can say is a friend of mine had an xr6t and traded it on a xr8 he says the xr8 is faster hands down his opinion . i'd say it would be a very close call.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #6
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have driven a bout three T's(2 auto 1 manual) and 2 xr8's(1 auto and 1 manual) and agree with above
maybe if the t stalled up on boost would initially be in front but from what ive driven the xr8's are faster mind you there are some better than others and im not biased as i went out specifically to buy a T drove 2 (in standard form) and decided to test drive an xr8 walked out that day with an xr8 sounded better and no doubt compared to the standard t's was faster, the only thing that lets them down is getting off the line with not a huge amount of off idle torque and heavy car as well as gearing. thats my experience with the two but all cars are different and there are definitely some faster than others
JAYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikedXR8
i'm calling the XR8 over the 1/4. but an XR6T would win hands down 0-100.
the Turbo has got alot better initial Acceleration. but the XR8 would reel it in at bout the 350 metre mark.
in the head to head tests ive seen the xr8 had the wood for the first 100 then the xrt would catch it comfortably everytime. Everyone knows the turbos are quicker down the quarter, its been shown heaps of times.

The 8s may be slugs under 3000rpm...but when you race you give it heaps of revs so that is canceled out.On the street its obviously different...
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
in the head to head tests ive seen the xr8 had the wood for the first 100 then the xrt would catch it comfortably everytime. Everyone knows the turbos are quicker down the quarter, its been shown heaps of times.

The 8s may be slugs under 3000rpm...but when you race you give it heaps of revs so that is canceled out.On the street its obviously different...
Most importantly i think each car can vary. but according to motor i think an xr8 is the one that has broken 14sec barrier more than the standard T but now with the BF the T has has had an upgrade so a T may win the majority of the time,
Old 02-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #9
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
what do you mean by giving it heaps of revs and it will be faster? You got me confused a bit if its what i think it means........
SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #10
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think he means when racing the motor is kept on boil in its powerband and not often touching the lower rpm band (where the boss is a little doey)
Old 02-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #11
SlikedTurb

i Had my XR8 for 6 months and now i've had my Turbo for 6 Months and IMO the Turbo wins hands down!!!
i would NEVER Buy another XR8
infact i just bought another Turbo (sedan this time)
the XR8 is a Massive Slug below 3750rpm
i know this is 1/4 mile comparison but all roud day to day drivability the Turbo Flogs it!!!
how can you beat a car that has peak torque range from 2500-4500Rpm (give or take, not sure of exact figures)
SlikedTurb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 07:21 PM   #12
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its fair to say on average there is prob nothin in it, there are cartainly better performing T's than others and xr8's that are faster than others(and also the fact that the boss's apparently take a while to loosen up when new) as we all know spend a couple of grand on both and your turbo will be the winner in almost all cases
Old 02-11-2006, 09:07 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

if you go by the magazine's you are still not 100% sure on which one would win. i've seen articles with xr6t's doing anything from 14.1 - 14.8. the forced induction cars seem to have broader range of performance. the 8's seem a lot more consistant. the quickest i've seen is a 13.99 by motor but once again the times have varied to as slow as a 14.6 so i guess it depends on the car.

they have very different characteristics though, so if you go by seat of the pants feel, the t will feel livelier and quicker but as the times show, in actual fact there is nothing in it.

workmate of mine was looking for an xr6t and after test driving one he had to check under the bonnet to make sure it was a turbo. others went real hard. he now owns a ba xr8 manual after having his mind set on buying a turb. bit of a lucky dip i'm afraid.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #14
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYBA
i think he means when racing the motor is kept on boil in its powerband and not often touching the lower rpm band (where the boss is a little doey)
yep thats what i meant. The 8 may have a 13.9 but everytime a comparo or run is done the 6t seems to come out on top. There are fors an againsts for both tho, thats the main thing to remember
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post