Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-05-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
Placey

Default Decisions!! (BF or FG)

It has been discussed and I know most of the differences between the two cars but I wish to come to you guys for your opinion. So,

BF MKII XR6T (probably auto) (07-08)
Prem sound
Dual zone climate
$13-17k

FG XR50 Turbo (definate auto) (2010)
Every option included
$22-23500

both will have about 100k, I see advantages of both, but I have had an fg before and loved it, never owned a bf however..

as you can tell im confused, ofcourse the price is more for the fg, but this would be a car I would hopefully keep long term and as a daily.

opinions?

Old 06-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Re: Decisions!! (BF or FG)

i've owned a BF XR6 N/A with ZF and a few options from new, obviously now have the FG2 XRT with a few options also new.. FG will stay a little more current in its shape for longer (well forever really with Falcon finishing soon). FG is better balanced and handles better, feels a lot more modern inside, spools quicker with the smaller turbo, goes harder (stock for stock), more features. Blah blah. BF will always look tougher. Your call.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2014, 12:00 AM   #3
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Once went shopping for a new FG XR6T, the young sales guy bragged that 'this FG XR6T in reverse with the handbrake on, would still out-accelerate your stock BA XR6T'
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #4
KAM120

IMO the BF's are better looking. Save the 10g and go the bf then modify ;-)
KAM120 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2014, 12:04 AM   #5
Placey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
i've owned a BF XR6 N/A with ZF and a few options from new, obviously now have the FG2 XRT with a few options also new.. FG will stay a little more current in its shape for longer (well forever really with Falcon finishing soon). FG is better balanced and handles better, feels a lot more modern inside, spools quicker with the smaller turbo, goes harder (stock for stock), more features. Blah blah. BF will always look tougher. Your call.

And this is what makes me feel the FG will be a better long term car, and the BF for that awesome "project" car, seems im leaning more toward the FG again so far..
Old 07-05-2014, 12:15 AM   #6
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yeah there's a lot more money for mods if you go BF, and it has the bigger turbo which can be a benefit but looks are subjective and up to the individual. I think the back of the BF looks better than the back of the FG but it's all about angles.

Can't go wrong either way presuming they're both in good nick mechanically

2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 AM   #7
Itsme
Experienced Member

Both good cars, depends on how much you want to splash on cash!
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2014, 12:32 AM   #8
RB Snake

I was in the same situation at the start of this year. I was originally looking for an FG turbo for about 20k ( approx 100km) but whilst hunting I found a BF upgrade or 2.5 that had less than 50k klms on it for only 18k talked it down from 20k. The body kit of it looks sweet and much better than the standard BF, it also has the premo sound dual zone cc, which I couldn't have gotten on an FG. The money I saved will be going into some mods soon.

You will come across one and think, "that's the one I want".
RB Snake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2014, 12:47 AM   #9
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Personally I love the B series over almost everything in the FGs, the interior styling I find in the FG's is a lot better but thats probably because its more modern, for me the ride height feels higher, the seats and dash and everything feels higher which I can't stand. I found the FG lost its sporty appeal in comparison to the BF.

In saying that, the XR50 turbo is so much better than the XR6T IMO the fact it comes with all the trimmings they really made it beautiful, my mate has one and its some of the softest leather i've felt and the seats are comfy as! more so than my BF.

Get a BF Typhoon instead :P

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2014, 03:43 AM   #10
1TUFFUTE
Banned

for me its all about the gearbox....the zf...aslong as its got that then you cant go wrong. pick whichever looks the best to you...both in and out and on the road.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #11
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

+1 for BF Typhoon.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

FG Turbo is light years ahead of BF. I had BF F6 and FG F6 and the difference between the two were absolutely dramatically huge in regards to how early and how strong it came in and it is more than the tune as the plumbing is much improved. It feels like a generational leap of five years, which of course is exactly what it was..... BF XR6T compared to FG XR6T the difference is even more massive than comparing BF F6 to FG F6. Seriously, especially stock, it is a non argument. I have owned BA XR6T, BF F6, FG F6.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would save a little longer and try find a cheap FG F6
Old 07-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #14
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
yeah there's a lot more money for mods if you go BF, and it has the bigger turbo which can be a benefit but looks are subjective and up to the individual. I think the back of the BF looks better than the back of the FG but it's all about angles.

Can't go wrong either way presuming they're both in good nick mechanically

I wish I could buy a 335 GT in that green colour one of the best ford colours in history
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #15
Placey

Judging that both would be auto (zf) I would have a dead limit of 14k for the BF, the fg though is atleast 22k, maybe 20k if I haggle right.

if I purchased the FG, no mods would he affordable upfront
If I purchased the BF I would aim for a tune, sway bars, rotors and pads, and harder bushes.

so slightly modded BF or non modded FG.

I prefer the inside of the fg, love it. The BF is very nice with luxury pack however..
Old 07-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #16
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you buy an FG you won't need half those mods straight way, tune and diff bushes and away you go.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
I wish I could buy a 335 GT in that green colour one of the best ford colours in history
yeah i love Toxic, as soon as i saw it i said yes please. Apparently Hugh Bayford visited the dealer the day my car was sitting in the delivery bay waiting for me and highly disapproved lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placey View Post
so slightly modded BF or non modded FG.
a lightly modded BF is probably about the same pace or a bit slower than a stock FG so there's your answer
This user likes this post:
Old 19-05-2014, 05:08 AM   #18
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I find the FG feels more open in the cabin and visibility. Also steering is so much more precise than the BF ... and overall vehicel refinement is light years ahead of the BF.

The ZF even feels better in the FG as well than in BF's

Don't get me wrong .... I enjoyed my BF when I had it ... but the FG that much more better again.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #19
G6T

+2 4 f6 typhoon still looks tuff shuts the holden boys up quicker then most, shame they didn't make fg f6 body kit stand out more from 50meters besides black eyes & droped typhoon name. xr50 or bf xr6t i would take xr50 black out dash abit & anniversary model.
FPV BF F6 TYPHOON in TOXIC green BUILT ENGINE & MT built ZF, FORCED PERFORMANCE turbo HTA 37r Turbo e85 26psi= 525 rwkw 1162nm its DMENTD . BUILT & TUNED by ( PROFILE AUTOSPORTS ) first time on dyno after run in =
Pacific Ford and FPV Carshow - DMENTD Dyno Run base 22psi on 98 : https://youtu.be/PoONpkk7qJE
G6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #20
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Why not an 08 g6e turbs?
Surely they are around the 20 grand mark around 100 thou kms?
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #21
Swordie

FG looks better plus has better stereo.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #22
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

FG XR50T for sure. Apart from being better on all acounts, they are 2-3 years newer.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2014, 01:37 AM   #23
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

BF will give you more money for mods. FG will give you more modern car for the money.

I'd go FG.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #24
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You get what you pay for. FG IS newer, looks & feels newer, and will stay newer longer. BUT a reasonably priced BF would do it for me.
Thing is, if you're going to spend the extra cash modding the BF to make it drive like the FG, then for mine its a no brainer.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #25
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

I loved my BF XR6. It had that point-and-shoot feel where you felt that you're connected straight to the front wheels via the beautifully weighted steering. But I fell in love all over again when the FG arrived. It has prodigious grip and handling. It's a "bigger" car with a paradoxically slimmer look??

Happy days to have such decisions to make... Buy the FG for the road and a BA XR6T for the project car!
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #26
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Drive them. As per above FG steering is same reason I used to drive the wife's Terri and preferred the steering to my BA turbo. It's something Falcon had needed for years. And unless you've driven the FG turbo against it's predecessors you can't appreciate what a difference that maligned (by the power hungry) smaller turbo means. It's incredibly responsive and smack on the right size for the engine. I loved my BA and the BFs I drove were good cars. But without modding the FG turbo will make you feel like King of the road and it'll keep your bank balance safer.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post