Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Default Holden Commodore VE Series 2 BUSTED! (?)

http://www.caradvice.com.au/72720/ho...ries-2-busted/

Several months ahead of its anticipated launch, CarAdvice can bring you exclusive scoop photos of the Holden VE Commodore Series 2. Initially dubbed the VF Commodore, the VE Commodore Series 2 will incorporate similar design characteristics with a modified interior and new engine options.

These computer generated images of the Commodore Omega Sportwagon and Commodore Berlina sedan depict exactly what the vehicles will look like when they hit the market soon after being announced to the public in August, 2010.

While exterior design changes are fairly minimal, they will see the VE Commodore receive its first visual refresh since launch in 2006.

Changes include a new headlight cluster across the Commodore sedan and Sportwagon range. The headlights now tilt in slightly close to the grille, opposed to their current sharp pointing end.

A new grille will also be adopted across the Commodore sedan and Sportwagon range. The new grille is shaped similar to the HSV E2 Senator and has been designed in such a way to adopt a sportier image. Luxury models such as Berlina, Calais and Calais V-Series also receive chrome treatment on the grille, allowing them to stand out from the crowd.

The final major changes to the front end include a new bonnet line that flows all the way down beyond the grille, in addition to new fog light clusters and lower bumper-bar lips.

Changes to the rear are even less substantial with all Commodore sedan models receiving a mild bootlid lip spoiler. This in turn reduces the size of the Holden badge on the rear to compensate for the room required for the bootlid lip spoiler.

Exterior styling changes to the Caprice are very minimal with new wheels and revised tail-lights the only changes worthy of mention.

The SS V-Series receives a remodelled halogen projector cluster, but HID lights and DRL (Daytime Running Lights) similar to those fitted to the Caprice and HSV range respectively won’t make the cut for VE2 Commodore sedan and Sportwagon.

A four-piston (front) and single-piston (rear) Brembo brake package will be available on the sports models, similar to that seen on the limited edition HSV GXP.

Holden’s E85 HFV6 will be available at launch, allowing drivers to operate the vehicle on an 85% blend of Ethanol. While E85 filling stations are essentially non-existent, Holden hopes that petrol companies will begin integrating E85 pumps into their fuel stations once the E85 demand increases.

LS1 Forums user Angelo_XLR8 spotted the following cars in convoy in Sydney’s CBD. The car Angelo_XLR8 spotted isn’t any ordinary SS V-Series though. The vehicle in this photograph is believed to be fitted with a pre-production version of GM’s new Gen V V8 engine. When the engine goes into production, it is expected to feature E85 capability and direct injection, in addition to a refined Active Fuel Management system and more power to combat Ford’s new supercharged V8 XR8.

This engine isn’t expected to be available at launch. Holden is likely to carry on with the current Gen IV V8 engine until the new variant becomes available in 2011.

Rumours also suggest that Holden will release a turbocharged version of the V6 Commodore. It is unclear whether it will be available at the launch of the VE2.

A raft of new wheels will be available at the launch of the VE2 Commodore, with the Pontiac G8 wheels making their way onto the SS Commodore. Holden is also expected to continue offering the G8 style bonnet arrangement as a cost option.

With Holden’s revised VE2 Commodore just around the corner, CarAdvice will keep you posted with any further developments. Stay tuned next week for more information on the interior that will launch with the VE2 Commodore.

Last edited by Falc'man; 04-07-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Interesting...I wonder how such minor changes can lift sales?
The VE is still looking dated, one can only hope they have fixed up the horrid interior.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The front light clusters look very BF Falcon but the overall treatment improves the frontal view and makes it look somewhat more integrated than it did.

It will be interesting to see what they do on the engine front to combat Coyote but we've already heard some bits and pieces that indicate they are at least going to tackle the XR6T at some stage.

It will also be interesting to watch whether the oil companies start providing E85 pumps in the major metro areas to support the availability of that fuel option.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are these chops? Because the white car in the background in pic 1 makes the commodore look like it's a photoshop.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Awsome work as usual Falcnman.

cheers

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Are these chops? Because the white car in the background in pic 1 makes the commodore look like it's a photoshop.

well spotted, check out the shaddows - white car casts one to the left, Berlina to the right.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I too have wondered what they plan to do to combat the potent I6T. I highly doubt that they will be able to truly rival fords engine with a V6T combo.
As for E85, it would be nice to see more pumps, only one here in Adelaide.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
It actually states in the 2nd paragraph that they are computer generated.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
it says computer generated images in the second paragraph.

EDIT: beat me to it
Old 04-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Yes, they most certainly are. Caradvice, though, are confident this is very close.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

also beat me to it
Old 04-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
tex
Broken

hahahaha, oops.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Release is August??

Suprised they didnt put HIDs in SSV and Calais V. By the look of that update its definately only a series II with very minimal changes!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Interesting...I wonder how such minor changes can lift sales?
The VE is still looking dated, one can only hope they have fixed up the horrid interior.
Given they outsold the Falcon two to one last month I'd say pretty well. Depending on how desperate they get with discounts of course.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
GreatXR8
Starter Motor

still look average
GreatXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #16
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Release is August??

Suprised they didnt put HIDs in SSV and Calais V. By the look of that update its definately only a series II with very minimal changes!
This is a problem Holden need to remedy. Only a minimal update of the model in 4years is not good enough.
A slightly different front grille and bar and a little bootlip spoiler will not be
enough IMO.
I guess we shall have to wait and see.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #17
prydey
Rob

holden could re release the vc commodore complete with original power and handling and it would still sell.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #18
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
http://www.caradvice.com.au/72720/ho...ries-2-busted/

The vehicle in this photograph is believed to be fitted with a pre-production version of GM’s new Gen V V8 engine. When the engine goes into production, it is expected to feature E85 capability and direct injection, in addition to a refined Active Fuel Management system and more power, although still uses the same single camshaft, pushrod configuration abandoned by Ford some years ago.
Fixed.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #19
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
holden could re release the vc commodore complete with original power and handling and it would still sell.
Lol.
Because it's Austrayan.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #20
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

I can't tell the difference. No wonder they went with VE2 & not VF. Hopefully for their sake, the interior differences are more significant.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #21
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
The front light clusters look very BF Falcon but the overall treatment improves the frontal view and makes it look somewhat more integrated than it did.
That was my first impression .... as soon as the image popped up the tweaking of the front has made it very XT BF.

Apart from that, I can't see any real changes. Very BA-BA11 esc.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #22
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Reminds me of that retro Torano they rehashed a couple of years ago, I like it.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #23
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Well done Holden, make the new Commodore look better by designing it to look more like the previous base model Falcon.

I never liked the styling of the VE. Too unnecessarily bloated and fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
Reminds me of that retro Torano they rehashed a couple of years ago, I like it.
That Torana was to gauge the public reaction to the aforementioned bloated and fat styling.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #24
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
310 pack perhaps!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #25
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
You are right on all counts, although the head lights looked like BA's from day one. The styling changes, if accurate, do appear to made a little easier to look at. I will wait till I see it in the flesh/metal/plastic before final judgement. Importantly, how will these changes help those flares....

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what they do on the engine front to combat Coyote but we've already heard some bits and pieces that indicate they are at least going to tackle the XR6T at some stage....

Cheers
Russ
If they pay Ford for the rights to the I6T they will still fall short, as they would need the ZF to fully replicate Ford's superior driveline. I doubt a 3 litre TT will produce the amount of thrust to combat the Barra T. However, it will certainly eat into it's sales.

Who knows, it (TTV6) might even return better economy (in the real world) than the base Sidi.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #26
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
You are right on all counts, although the head lights looked like BA's from day one. The styling changes, if accurate, do appear to made a little easier to look at. I will wait till I see it in the flesh/metal/plastic before final judgement. Importantly, how will these changes help those flares....

If they pay Ford for the rights to the I6T they will still fall short, as they would need the ZF to fully replicate Ford's superior driveline. I doubt a 3 litre TT will produce the amount of thrust to combat the Barra T. However, it will certainly eat into it's sales.

Who knows, it (TTV6) might even return better economy (in the real world) than the base Sidi.
You're on the money there mate, ford has the far superior transmission, it is this that really sets it apart from Holden. The engine and transmission combo are the winner, and Holden won't be able to make anything like this "perfect couple".
A TTV6 will be able to eat into the I6T sales but it'll never outsell or out perform it.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #27
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

That grille in the first chop looks lifted from a barina.

Be interested in seeing some interior shots.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #28
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

the update from what i understand isn't meant to be a big exterior change. anything sheetmetal wasn't to be changed due to the costs of stamping.
only plastics are changed as is an overhaul of the interior.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #29
MexicanBatman
Banned

At least you can get a factory sunroof on the Holden, as pictured on that awful looking red thing
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #30
MAD
Petro-sexual

So basically with the bonnet line they're trying to turn the VE into a VZ. Way to move forward!

At least we can feel safe in the knowledge that the changes in exterior styling are not going to be enough to encourage more sales. I wonder how many 'run out' sales this model update will have during its life.