Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
balthazarr

Default 75 year old hoon gets car confiscated after 'chase'

From: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...3-2862,00.html

Quote:
Car seized after slow chase with 75-year-old hoon

Mark Buttler
May 25, 2009 12:00am

POLICE have seized the car of a woman 51 years older than the state's average hoon.

The 75-year-old's vehicle was confiscated under anti-hoon laws after she led police on a low-speed pursuit for 25km between Warrnambool and Port Fairy.

A police spokesman said attention was drawn to the woman - the state's oldest female hoon driver - when they saw her driving with her hazard lights operating on the Princes Highway.

A bizarre "chase" followed in which police say they tried everything to get the woman to pull over, only for her to ignore them.

The officers tried driving behind, beside and in front of the woman during Friday's incident.

But she kept on driving and was not spoken with until she stopped in Sackville St, Port Fairy, where her car was confiscated by Warrnambool traffic management unit.

"Numerous attempts were made to get the driver to stop but she just refused. They've made every reasonable attempt," a Victoria Police spokesman said.

The driver, who is from Warrnambool, is expected to be charged with failing to stop after a direction from police.

Anti-hoon laws have been used heavily by Victoria Police since 2007 to crack down, predominantly, on drivers travelling at high speed and performing dangerous acts such as burn-outs.

But a vehicle can be seized for 48 hours under anti-hoon laws if a driver fails to stop after police direction.

The average age of male hoons who have cars confiscated is 24, but there have been other cases of drivers of far more advanced years losing their cars.

In January this year, a 78-year-old Narre Warren man lost his sports car after being clocked rocketing along at 170km/h during a car club event at Warragul.

The oldest previous hoon was a 64-year-old Porsche-driving Armadale man, who was caught at 110km/h in a 60km/h zone.

In 2007, a drunken 55-year-old lost his utility after a burn-out session in the car park of a Ferntree Gully hotel.
As is typical with these sort of articles, it doesn't give any real details, but I can't help imagining some Mr(s) Magoo driving along in a world of her own 20-30km/h less than the speed limit.

And, although I am opposed to the 'anti-hoon' laws, I'm glad she's off the streets.

balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Yeah I was wondering what excuse or reason she gave for not stopping too. Typical journo... :

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
jcxr
Tribal Elder

In the words of the great Jan and Dean song, Go granny, Go Granny Go.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

So...what can't your vehicle be confiscated for now?
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its just an abuse of the hoon law, as with all hoon laws, the laws are open to interpretation and this leads to abuse, was she speeding, did she leave her hazard lights on yes, is that a crime no, did she fail to stop for police yes but give credit to an old lady, looks like the law is wrong to me.

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I could picture my old man doing something like that particularly if he felt he had done nothing wrong.(yes he drives a camry) :togo:
Too easy to be labled a hoon I mean the old girl didn't do a skid or anything that radical

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

What is it with old people driving with their Hazard lights on???
Paull is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto
Its just an abuse of the hoon law, as with all hoon laws, the laws are open to interpretation and this leads to abuse, was she speeding, did she leave her hazard lights on yes, is that a crime no, did she fail to stop for police yes but give credit to an old lady, looks like the law is wrong to me.
Yes it is.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
alecrain
'03 BA XT

She was probably going to see her grandson, nobody is going to stop her from that!

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull
What is it with old people driving with their Hazard lights on???
Most likely a bit of deafness I would say. Dont know why they had 'em on initially though. Maybe they had Perry Como up loud.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

funny how at the bottom of the article it states male hoons. they are forgeting the lipstick leadfoots out there
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Most likely a bit of deafness I would say. Dont know why they had 'em on initially though. Maybe they had Perry Como up loud.
Speaking from experience here?
Old 25-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto
I don't understand how it's an abuse of the hoon law. She ignored the instruction of HWP to pull over - of all the laws there are in the book, this would have to be the most dire one to break.

She should be forced to submit to a licence test if she's driving aimlessly with her hazards on and ignoring a HWP vehicle behind, beside or infront of her trying to get her to pull over.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #14
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry guys I don't understand the comments - if we all went out and ignored police on the roads or otherwise there would be nothing but anarchy. police direction must be followed and nobody is exempt from this, what if they were trying to stop said little old lady because her car was on fire and they were trying to save her life, and through her ignorance she passed away? We would all be saying the police should have tried harder to save her :

Come on guys fair go.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
sorry guys I don't understand the comments - if we all went out and ignored police on the roads or otherwise there would be nothing but anarchy. police direction must be followed and nobody is exempt from this, what if they were trying to stop said little old lady because her car was on fire and they were trying to save her life, and through her ignorance she passed away? We would all be saying the police should have tried harder to save her :

Come on guys fair go.
very wel said

there is more than one reason the police want/need to pull us over

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #16
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I don't understand how it's an abuse of the hoon law. She ignored the instruction of HWP to pull over - of all the laws there are in the book, this would have to be the most dire one to break.

She should be forced to submit to a licence test if she's driving aimlessly with her hazards on and ignoring a HWP vehicle behind, beside or infront of her trying to get her to pull over.
Agreed, though nothing was said about her driving aimlessly... that was my overactive imagination.

I disagree with the anti-hoon laws on principle... If I lend my car to someone, and that person decides to be an idiot on the road, I can lose my car for something they did. Three strikes and they take your car? On what basis? It's (presumably) not stolen property... it's a (generally) expensive item that I've paid for - how is it a fair and proportionate response to the "problem"?

In this particular case, this woman had her car confiscated. Based on the article (for that is all I have as a basis), there is nothing to indicate that she was driving dangerously or erratically. Yes, she had her hazards on... so people around her should have seen that and been extra cautious - if anything, this should make it safer.

And yes, she disobeyed a police officer. So, throw the book at her... but take her car? It's a bit of overkill, isn't it?

This, of course, ignores any issues about whether, due to age, illness, medication or otherwise, she was and is fit to drive.

Taking her car for 2 days will not solve that problem.
Old 25-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #17
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Knowing bad drivers, she probably didn't even notice the cops trying to pull her over despite them going in front of her.
Old 25-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #18
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

failing to stop for police is hooning? jeez they're taking this hoon thing too far just to get some more publicity for it all
Matt47569 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #19
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i cant beleive some of the stuff people are posting

as has been posted above if you fail to pull over for the police you are breaking the law

that is the reason the driver had thier car taken unfortunatly for the driver that falls into the hoon aspect now

from memory there were links posted other times about the laws and i think that if one of the mods or admin can get the right info for all of us and put it in a sticky or the likes we wont see threads like this

my thoughts anyway

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #20
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
If I lend my car to someone, and that person decides to be an idiot on the road, I can lose my car for something they did.
While your car may be taken, you do have the right to goto court to get it back. And the argument used will be you did not giver permission for your vehicle to be used in that manner.
Although, if you are in the passenger seat at the time it may be a hard argument to win.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #21
blackzxr
Typhoon

Quote:
Agreed, though nothing was said about her driving aimlessly... that was my overactive imagination.

I disagree with the anti-hoon laws on principle... If I lend my car to someone, and that person decides to be an idiot on the road, I can lose my car for something they did. Three strikes and they take your car? On what basis? It's (presumably) not stolen property... it's a (generally) expensive item that I've paid for - how is it a fair and proportionate response to the "problem"?

In this particular case, this woman had her car confiscated. Based on the article (for that is all I have as a basis), there is nothing to indicate that she was driving dangerously or erratically. Yes, she had her hazards on... so people around her should have seen that and been extra cautious - if anything, this should make it safer.

And yes, she disobeyed a police officer. So, throw the book at her... but take her car? It's a bit of overkill, isn't it?

This, of course, ignores any issues about whether, due to age, illness, medication or otherwise, she was and is fit to drive.

Taking her car for 2 days will not solve that problem.
Well said.
I will try and keep this short, but i have major issues with this.
We have laws in place with infringement notices for all traffic offences. We also have courts of law / judges to hear all the evidence and make and informed decision on a suitable punishment. This law sucks arsse, as it is up to an idividual to make a decision on the spot and has the ability to STEAL your car. The cop could have got a knock back, doesn't like the look of you, or is just in a mood.
Don't get me wrong, the law in principal is OK and some people deserve to have their cars taken. This should be done through the courts though and people have a right to defend themselves. I know it will clog up our courts, but i thought we had the right to defend ourselves????

What next??? You have a few parties, play your music to loud and get classed as hoon.. Hey why not, lets take your house too???? lol

I used to have a handle on reality, but it broke.
blackzxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #22
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how is that being a hoon?

it seems these days anything illegal you do in a car makes you an automatic "hoon"

the words lost all meaning, yes if your speeding by a ridiculous amount, your a hoon, not if you're 10 over.

pulling skids, lighting them up and street racing is hoon material.

it's actually getting quite pathetic.

glad she's off the road though, if she can't see/hear police around her then who knows what else.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #23
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8
While your car may be taken, you do have the right to goto court to get it back. And the argument used will be you did not giver permission for your vehicle to be used in that manner.
Yes, true. But why should I have to take (valuable) time out of my day to defend something which I didn't do?

Quote:
Although, if you are in the passenger seat at the time it may be a hard argument to win.
Again, it's BS. If I'm in the passenger seat, I have no control over the driver - and it'd be dangerous for me to try and intervene.

And it doesn't have to be lending your car to a mate. If you're an employer, and one of your employees "hoons" in a company car - you have to take time out to try and get your car back. If you don't get your car back, you could be losing serious amounts of money. Yes, you'd fire the employee, but that doesn't get your car back, or make up for 2 days (or more) of lost productivity.
Old 25-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #24
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
how is that being a hoon?

it seems these days anything illegal you do in a car makes you an automatic "hoon"

the words lost all meaning, yes if your speeding by a ridiculous amount, your a hoon, not if you're 10 over.

pulling skids, lighting them up and street racing is hoon material.

it's actually getting quite pathetic.

glad she's off the road though, if she can't see/hear police around her then who knows what else.
agreed on all counts
yes she was probably an unsafe driver and she did the wrong thing, whether intentional or just plain poor driving she was not hooning
i did find it hilarious that they had a 'low speed pursuit'!
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #25
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, true. But why should I have to take (valuable) time out of my day to defend something which I didn't do?

Again, it's BS. If I'm in the passenger seat, I have no control over the driver - and it'd be dangerous for me to try and intervene.
umm yes you can stop him

do you own a mobile phone ??

if yes tell him that if he wont pull over you will call 000 and reporting him to the police

that way you have the right to take your car home being the owner and not being the driver

that is the way i would go

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #26
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
umm yes you can stop him

if yes tell him that if he wont pull over you will call 000 and reporting him to the police

that way you have the right to take your car home being the owner and not being the driver

Jason
Or you could just not lend your car to someone who you think may do that.

I know if I loaned my car to a mate that they wouldn't do anything like that.
Old 25-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #27
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Or you could just not lend your car to someone who you think may do that.

I know if I loaned my car to a mate that they wouldn't do anything like that.
i dont loan my cars to many at all prob 3 or 4 that i would and i know they wouldnt do it anyway

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #28
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
umm yes you can stop him

Jason

Right. And by the time I've got my phone out of my pocket we've hit 180+ km/h (or the nearest tree).

I've never actually lent my car, my point is the law is ridiculous as it potentially punishes an innocent third party (yes, even though they can apply to get the car released, it's still a massive imposition).

You don't even have to have "lent" the car - say you leave it at the mechanics and an apprentice decides to give it a bit of a thrashing... oh well, I guess you should have known about that and taken it somewhere else. :
Old 25-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #29
Kryton

This actually happened last week and has already been in our local papers - last week.
Must be hard to get a NEW story these days.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #30
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Right. And by the time I've got my phone out of my pocket we've hit 180+ km/h (or the nearest tree).

I've never actually lent my car, my point is the law is ridiculous as it potentially punishes an innocent third party (yes, even though they can apply to get the car released, it's still a massive imposition).

You don't even have to have "lent" the car - say you leave it at the mechanics and an apprentice decides to give it a bit of a thrashing... oh well, I guess you should have known about that and taken it somewhere else. :
Maybe try a little investigation into the actual laws and not just go on your interpretation of it.

You may find that the two are a little different.