Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Default What modifications have you done

Removed by laminge

Cease the Ford v Holden debate, we have had enough!

it got me thinking tho, what sort of modifications have you done to your beast, and did it all work out the way you wanted? any mods from small bolt ons to flash tunes to complete overhauls and rebuilds is fine, im just curious how many people think that the manufacturer could have done a better job.

If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.

Last edited by Laminge; 27-03-2009 at 02:59 PM.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every mod i have done would of made the factory car better. Pretty simple i have not modded my car to make it worse.
For my ba the full exhuast , better tune , 4.1 diff gears, airbox all and have helped make it a more pleasurable car to drive with the same if not better economy . Legally I dont know if they could have done but they probly spend lots of cash to try and find ways to get out of warranty claims and find ways of cutting corners . Im sure if they spent the time bribing the goverment or fighting there loop holes they could get around it .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Personally, Im not too worried about whether Ford could have made my car faster, handle better etc. Sure if they had made every Falcon to their peak performance level we would all be driving around in awesome machines. But isn't the point of moding to make it better than Mr Citizens?

I like the fact that when I roll up to a Falcon the same age and same model, I know that mine is special and theirs... is like 80% of the other out there.

I also cant imagine Ford wanting to create furiously fast Falcons for everyday people, for them to explode or need an engine rebuild every 50,000km. People complain enough already that their Toyboata, Holden, Ford, Merc, BMW etc breaks down. Even though they have done 80,000km in it without EVER driving into a dealer for its FIRST service! Trust me there are lots of them out there.

Ford would be commiting suicide if they built the Falcon to its absolute limit. I say keep making them a GREAT car, and let us make them Fantastic!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Headers and exhaust. Definitely made a difference, probably more than expected. But then the 220kw 3V V8 was very restricted that way. Probably had cast manifolds and single exhaust for cost issues as well as keeping it away from the XR8 performance wise. I did it more for the sound than the performance anyway.

But I agree with snappy84 and Mr Brooksy, the manufacturers have to make their cars extremely reliable and within set ADRs for pollution, noise, etc so they cant make them all the quickest and most powerful they can be without considering other aspects.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just having a bit of a think about this .
If ford did do all the mods.
Performance shop would find away to make them better thats there job. So for ford i suppose it pointless..
But as far as a v8 is concearned they need to find away to get a decent note from factory . Hell if mercedes can do it can see any excuse they could have.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Wally
XP Coupe

Really a flip side to the OP's query, but I think one of the things that Ford Oz did very well was to introduce the 2V head for the old sixes, while our US cousins had to make do with the integrated manifold type.

It's taken until recently for the Classic Inlines alloy head to hit it's production straps, 40 years on.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
Personally, Im not too worried about whether Ford could have made my car faster, handle better etc. Sure if they had made every Falcon to their peak performance level we would all be driving around in awesome machines. But isn't the point of moding to make it better than Mr Citizens?

I like the fact that when I roll up to a Falcon the same age and same model, I know that mine is special and theirs... is like 80% of the other out there.

I also cant imagine Ford wanting to create furiously fast Falcons for everyday people, for them to explode or need an engine rebuild every 50,000km. People complain enough already that their Toyboata, Holden, Ford, Merc, BMW etc breaks down. Even though they have done 80,000km in it without EVER driving into a dealer for its FIRST service! Trust me there are lots of them out there.

Ford would be commiting suicide if they built the Falcon to its absolute limit. I say keep making them a GREAT car, and let us make them Fantastic!
yep its true all cars are "toned down" when they roll out of the factory for ppl who dont appreciate cars...i have seen loads of cars run for thousands of Ks without having a simple oil change...the falcon has alot of potential and i think a flash tune alone will boost the falcons already massive KW output...as for me modwise, nothing yet..but as soon as i get enough cash, will tint my windows, add a twin exhaust system, the XR8/fpv bonnet buldge and fpv intake..cosmetically i think the B series falcon is ahead of its time...the other day i saw an 03 xr6 next to an 06/07 plated lexus and the falcon was the clear winner in the looks department...
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Was talking to te service foreman today, and we both laughed as some idiot had a brand new black G6E-T that he had fitted a new intercooler to, injectors, CAPA tuned and a whole bunch of other stuff. Had an oil sump leak with only 3500klm on the clock and it wasn't covered by warranty, on account of the mods he'd done. In fact the whole driveline is now devoid of warranty on account of the mods he's done. Anyway, after the repair and a required software upgrade from ford the car wouldn't start, so some Abu Dhabi idiot comes out to retune it, and happily says it's been redone amidst the black soot coming out of the exhaust. You should have heard this poor thing cough and splutter, it really was gassing everything. Anyway, Peter told me that he asked the owner why he did all the mods, and the arrogant little pr_ck owner replied that Ford were idiots and they too should do all his mods to make more power. Each to their own I guess. Funny thing is, the whole car which is 3 months old is basically now devoid of any warranty; the lowering job killed off any prospects of chassis and/or electrics due to percussive impact vs metal stress with the road surface. If it's in warranty, I wouldn't bother.

Quote: