Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #1
josh1990
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 10w-30 in XR6 Turbo - hands up

Ok, so some background; I'm a uni student and I work casually in automotive retail. I'm a semi mature student, not wet behind the ears high school type you regularly see in these types of places. My pig of a father was head mechanic at Datsun/Nissan and was swinging spanners at a young age (changed a head and gasket on our ED wagon solo at 10 while the sack of **** sat on his fat **** and watched and barked orders).

Anyway, getting off topic here - short version, I'm not retarded.

So yesterday, I'm trying to explain to a customer why 20w-50 mineral wasn't suitable for his snotbox. He pointed to the edge and said what makes this oil able to be a 10w-60. I said synthetic technology da da da de da. If you want to understand oil, check out BITOG because I don't have the time to go in depth because I had to go fit a battery. But what car would use 10w-60 he goes? Well, in the Edge that's one of the recommended oils for an XR6 Turbo. Cue another customer walking past to say "I would never use that on my XR6 Turbo. It's the wrong oil. I run a 10w-30 in mine because that's the right oil, you don't know what you're on about."

At this point I told original customer there's the recommended oils, I've got to fit the battery now. ****ed me off to no end because Castrol website recommends edge 10w-60. My computer recommends 10w-60 edge. In Penrite, I would recommend HPR10 10w-50. So on and so on. Made me look like a ****ing idiot and I was fuming about it all day.

So my question to the people of Ford Forums - hands up who is running 10w-30 in a turbo and why? Is it the price?