Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Exclamation Lets talk car covers, anyone use them?

We now have a single garage, my car has the garage (but of course) and the lancer gets to live outside, but to protect it a bit I am thinking of getting a car cover for it, so whats the good, the bad, and the ugly side of them.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

A round the mid price range, if there is such a thing, for about $130 from Kmart you can buy the Autotechnica one. It's lined (a must if you want to look after your paintwork) and fits like a glove. It's not perforated like real cheap covers and has the vents to air the car.

Due to my job, I'm often away for weeks or months at a time and my car sits either at works carpark park or home's carpark for all this time. I find that the Autoectnica cover, because of it's tight fit and straps doesn't move off the car when it gets windy.

You can spend up to $300 for car covers but this one does the job.
03 BA XR6T, Black, T5, Unichip tuned by Autotech Engineering (235.5 rwkW), BPT short shifter, Custom Leather, 18" rims, PBR sports calipers, Lowered, Tint, duel CAI & BMC filter, AWC bits, custom stripes.

My Website
Jamie XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
bscampbell

Now I saw a review on these a few weeks ago...hmmm...
I think it was in the Wednesday Age (Melbourne) car guide, or possibly in the Friday Herald Sun Car Guide.
The best one was about $80, beating $100+ covers.

2009 VW Caravelle
bscampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 12:15 PM   #4
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been unable to find one I like - all I need is a cotton cover to use as a dust cover inside the shed, I'm sick of washing the ute and then having it sit in the shed for a week and be just as dirty. I had a bike cover for the Ducati and it made a huge difference even though it was always undercover, all the covers for cars seem to be waterproof which isnt what I want.
Regards,
tote
Old 24-05-2005, 12:18 PM   #5
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Hey Tote what about buying some cotton sheets and stitch them together ?

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 12:40 PM   #6
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, thats my best option at this point but it would be nice to be able to buy one the right shape, theyre a lot easier to put on that way.
Regards,
Tote
Old 24-05-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a car cover. I cant be stuffed to put it on. Its a pain in the ***.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 02:40 PM   #8
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm after a cover as I am getting sick of washing the car. My Mrs lets the cats spend too much time in the garage. They sleep in there instead of destroying things inside the house. I've told leave the rear door slightly open, enough for them to get out when she's home. This way the cats wander round outside the house instead of all over my car.

Admittedly they've done less damage to the pain than what leaving a car at a workshop did for 3mths. The dirt/sun/rain etc marked/stained the paint. Most has come off with a cut but not all. So I'll have to go over it again. Just as well I have my own buffer!

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 02:44 PM   #9
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I have a car cover. I cant be stuffed to put it on. Its a pain in the ***.
amen to that! i bought a $130 Kenco XL car cover (made of tyvek?) cuz my LTD has to sit in an open driveway.

it's got elastic around the perimeter... which in theory does a great job of hugging the car and staying on it, but in reality its an absolute bastard to put it on by yourself. tried once and just shoved it back in the box :

it also appears to leave marks on the paint (no actual scratches or damage, just marks that look almost waxy in appearance. might be because its meant to be waterproof.

Last edited by seano14; 24-05-2005 at 02:45 PM.
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #10
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seano14
amen to that! i bought a $130 Kenco XL car cover (made of tyvek?) cuz my LTD has to sit in an open driveway.

it's got elastic around the perimeter... which in theory does a great job of hugging the car and staying on it, but in reality its an absolute bastard to put it on by yourself. tried once and just shoved it back in the box :

it also appears to leave marks on the paint (no actual scratches or damage, just marks that look almost waxy in appearance. might be because its meant to be waterproof.
Where'd you get that Sean?
Old 24-05-2005, 03:29 PM   #11
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a cover and use it quite a bit. It cost around $100 is weatherproof and has the fluffy cotton lining.
Does a great job of keeping the dust off the car after you wash it (I hate getting in the car an hour after you wash it and seeing dust already!) and I use it at work through summer to protect the car from the sun. Does keep it a bit cooler inside too.
It has the strap that goes under the car to prevent it blowing off, but I find that after waxing the car is too slippery for it to grip and I'm going to add a couple of straps to grip under the radiator panel to stop the front of it lifting up.
Also, I never fit it unless the car is clean so no dust gets a chance to chafe the paint.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 03:32 PM   #12
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie XR6
A round the mid price range, if there is such a thing, for about $130 from Kmart you can buy the Autotechnica one. It's lined (a must if you want to look after your paintwork) and fits like a glove. It's not perforated like real cheap covers and has the vents to air the car.
We have one of these too... Does a great job of keeping the car clean and also hasnt scratched the paint
Old 24-05-2005, 05:16 PM   #13
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
Where'd you get that Sean?

supercheap auto noosaville. i am not sure if i recommend it though :P seems good at keeping water out... but as i said...

Last edited by seano14; 24-05-2005 at 05:18 PM.
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 05:26 PM   #14
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

I had one of the cheap ones, which i left on the wagon while it was out in the elements. Worked really well in the winter when i wasnt going out to put it back on after being blown off. But i think that was more due to it being a 4WD one rather than a Wagon one.

The only thing that i found was when it was warm, it actually melted the waxy stuff onto some of my paint, and when i pulled it off it ripped a hole in the cover.. and it probably wasnt too good for the paint work.

As for putting it on single handedly.. PEGS.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 05:49 PM   #15
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seano14
supercheap auto noosaville. i am not sure if i recommend it though :P seems good at keeping water out... but as i said...
Yeah, thanks for that. I know where I'm not going to get one.

I've been thinking about getting one for the ute, stop all the dust getting on it from the dirt road out front, and I especially hate it when I've just washed it.
Old 24-05-2005, 08:49 PM   #16
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie XR6

I agree with you Jamie i also bought the Autotechnica but from Autobahn i paid somewhere around $280 .Great quality and use it all the time on my GT but only when it has been washed before i put it on.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 10:55 PM   #17
XA_GT351
Supreme Machine!

i only use them for dust covers in the shed. i left it on my car outside for the night, strapped it down tight and it still managed to take the paint off my side mirrors from rubbing, They trap moisture aswell even if they have the air holes. this was a Autotechnica one.

1960 FB Holden Wagon, Yellow, 192, 4spd,

My XA Build-Up
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...&page=10&pp=25
XA_GT351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 08:02 PM   #18
NIGHTHAWK
starter motor

Cool re: car covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
We now have a single garage, my car has the garage (but of course) and the lancer gets to live outside, but to protect it a bit I am thinking of getting a car cover for it, so whats the good, the bad, and the ugly side of them.
Having moved into a (rental) house without a garage, i got a super cheap car cover for my xf, about 55 bucks i think, after 6 months the car eventually "sweated" so much i found a lot of rust coming through.
NIGHTHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post