Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #1
superyob
Banned

Default Restringing guitar

Greetings to all you talented musicians on this forum. I have but a simple question for the guitarists amongst us.

Does your restringing technique affect the way you play your guitar?

For example, I have always restrung my own guitars but recently I had my Seagull professionally set up and restrung. I thought, when I got the guitar back, that I sounded better than I usually do and of course the set up will have a big effect on that. But when I subsequently restrung my guitar, I found that I did not sound as good as before, which leads me to my question above...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: Restringing guitar

I restring my own but I’m not that good a player so paying a professional would be a waste.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #3
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did they use a different brand of string? Some are better than others and a well tuned ear will pick the difference.

Or it may just be like when my car has been washed it feels like it goes faster? ie you're just imagining it.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
superyob
Banned

Stefan you may be right, but I am sure the guitar responded better to my inept fumbling before I changed the strings...
Old 14-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #5
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

He may have set the action up better. (Strings closer to the fret board) And used better quality strings. But new strings do sound better than the worn out strings they replace.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #6
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I restring my own but I’m not that good a player so paying a professional would be a waste.
Ditto!
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2016, 11:11 PM   #7
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJaVu GT View Post
He may have set the action up better. (Strings closer to the fret board) And used better quality strings. But new strings do sound better than the worn out strings they replace.
I'm inclined to agree that he may have lowered the action or used a different string. Though another thing when restringing is to loosely fit the strings then start tuning from the centre out, similar to how you should alternate tensioning wheel nuts on a car- it keeps the fretboard from warping which can adverse effects on the action. Heavier or lighter gauge strings can require an adjustment of the truss rod which us mortals don't do but a luthier will just about always do to get it spot on.

I'm assuming it's acoustic but every string instrument would benefit the same way. I'm religious with how I string my bass (5 string with a 36" scale) because with a fretboard like a cricket bat and fencing wire for strings it becomes really evident if you string it badly
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2016, 07:49 AM   #8
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Most likely to be strings - I'm not going to buy into what are the 'best' strings because they are a personal choice but I use the Elixir Nanowebs because I don't particularly enjoy spending a whole day restringing the collection all that often and they have an excellent 'standing' life.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Most likely to be strings - I'm not going to buy into what are the 'best' strings because they are a personal choice but I use the Elixir Nanowebs because I don't particularly enjoy spending a whole day restringing the collection all that often and they have an excellent 'standing' life.

Cheers
Russ
I was just about to post the same thing. Elixir strings are my go to and they always sound fantastic.

I actually have a set of Elixir's on my acoustic which I haven't restrung in probably 4 years......they still sound pretty good!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #10
superyob
Banned

I am referring to the all round playability before and after the restring. Sound has never been a problem as it is a nice sounding guitar...
Old 15-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #11
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK so your playing "improved" with pro restring and "deteriorated" again with your own restring"?

I'm guessing nothing to do with set up as you would only restring the guitar the guitar not change the set up from the pro's set up.

But I know I would play better if my sound was better and most guitarists agree with that.

Only other thing is did you use different gauge strings?

Sounds to me like you need to hire a full time guitar tech so you play at your best at all times.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #12
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

What this guy said haha ^^^

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #13
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Well there’s your answer, turn Pro and you’ll have a full time tech on hand to give you that perfect sound.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #14
superyob
Banned

Stefan and Express, I have a cunning plan. I will turn pro and have a full time pro pleb to restring my axe.

Gadzooks my genius precedes me...

Now where's my make up???
Old 15-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #15
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
For example, I have always restrung my own guitars but recently I had my Seagull professionally set up and restrung. I thought, when I got the guitar back, that I sounded better than I usually do and of course the set up will have a big effect on that. But when I subsequently restrung my guitar, I found that I did not sound as good as before, which leads me to my question above...
I can understand why the guitar may have sounded better and perhaps been easier to play after it was done by a pro. A setup isn't just a re-string, it will involved adjusting the action and neck relief, which itself involves adjusting the truss rod to change the amount of curvature in the fretboard/neck. This affects how low you can get the action and how much buzz you get when you bring the action down. They'd also have adjusted the intonation to suit (has to be redone whenever you change the action).

All of this makes the guitar easier to play. Being able to get away with a lighter touch makes the tuning more consistent across the length of the fretboard and makes the intonation truer the further up you go.

If you did a re-string yourself, and you didnt use identical strings, the neck tension will be different which will change the neck relief and therefore the action, changing the quality of the tuning up the neck and how easy it is to play.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #16
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

To set up your bridge, assuming it is adjustable, set up the height of each saddle where you are comfortable and it doesn't buzz on other frets when you hold down a note.

Then the tone of the string must be the same from the nut to the 12th fret compared with from the 12th fret to the bridge. The length of the saddle needs to be adjusted to make these two tones equal.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #17
superyob
Banned

Thanks for your replies guys. I did use the same gauge strings though...
Old 15-02-2016, 11:23 PM   #18
Boosted8
Banned

It could be that when you re-string the axe yourself, you're not getting a tight enough bind on the machine head which is causing some slippage... that causes the guitar to wander out of tune often (which always makes it sound worse).

I've found that two "loops" around the post is usually more than enough, any more than that can cause the string to become unpredictable.
Boosted8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2016, 12:41 AM   #19
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Thanks for your replies guys. I did use the same gauge strings though...
Exactly the same strings though?

eg. D'addario EXL120 9-42's have slightly different tensions to EHR320 9-42's, despite the strings being the same gauge.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2016, 09:26 AM   #20
superyob
Banned

Not the same brand string b0son. Maybe I'll have to find out what they were...
Old 16-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #21
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Can I ask what guitar it is?
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #22
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50 View Post
Can I ask what guitar it is?
Seagull acoustic dreadnought...
Old 16-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #23
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe the pro used a different gauge set of strings
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #24
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think acoustics tend to benefit tonally from a good brand of strings, more so than electric were the sound is impacted / destroyed / improved by pick ups, amps and effects, each having tone controls. Acoustics it is what it is sound wise.

Personally, I love the bright twanginess of new string on acoustics, but actually prefer dull older strings on electrics.

I guess is the better maybe brighter sound increases your confidence in playing.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2016, 08:06 PM   #25
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted8 View Post
It could be that when you re-string the axe yourself, you're not getting a tight enough bind on the machine head which is causing some slippage... that causes the guitar to wander out of tune often (which always makes it sound worse).

I've found that two "loops" around the post is usually more than enough, any more than that can cause the string to become unpredictable.
I have always looped my strings to the top of the post hole first then to the under - and always aim to have at least 4 total winds on the post - this effectively 'locks' the string to prevent slippage and going flat

Different brands will certainly have a different sound and even different style of strings in the same gauge from the same manufacturer will have a different sound due to different composition - if you liked the sound after you had it restrung find out what the strings are and use em - its such a labourious and expensive task finding a great sounding string

Fwiw i have always used dean markley acoustic strings - vintage bronze, EB hybrid slinky's for electric

If i find time i'll take a pic of tuning post to show if needed.

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #26
CJR09
RPO 77

Gave me motivation to get it out of it's case!!

Cheers.

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post