Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Question Alcohol abuse thread

I am surprised to see there is no discussion about this subject. Many times we read or hear in the news about the affects of alcohol. Laws have been introduced to try and reduce the problem.

I rarely drink but when I do find that on very rare occasions I drink myself to a stupor. Last night was one of those occasions. It usually occurs when having a good time with friends and the alcohol is flowing freely over several hours. I never drink with the intention of getting plastered. But when drinking over such a long period it adds up and catches me out.

It is not a situation I like to be in. Any AFF members have thoughts on this topic? How do you avoid getting yourself well and truly pickled? Should I just become a teetotaller?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 
Default Re: Alcohol abuse thread

I'm a bit the same.

Don't normally have a drink through the week, but come weekends, I tend to give it a good nudge.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
.:4:.
Kicking back

When I know that it's going to be a long night of heavy drinking (namely my Christmas party) whenever I go for a refill I'll grab a glass of water to drink at the bar to try and dilute things. Other then that, the other good option is alternate a beer and a softy. When doing that someone will always make a comment, but at the end of the night you always will be better off then your ****ed as a fart mate
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
snopony

oh cripes dont get me started on this.... Right at this moment I am trying to help a very dear friend thru a break up due to, you guessed it, Alcohol abuse.

Her ex is completely in denial.

She tried for 15 years to help him. kids/houses/businesses, the whole lot is completely down the drain to this stuff.

It does my head in.
snopony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #5
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Keep the hell away from spirits!
Beer is my only drink now, much easier to maintain, and count how many standard drinks you've had.
If you like a drink, or two, be in control.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #6
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

I work in the alcohol industry and like most things its open to massive abuse
I might drink a couple of ciders on the weekend in summer and have a couple of Jameson's in winter watching the footy
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #7
Windsor220
Now Fordless

The amount of alcoholics is disturbing. Most don't even know they are at that point.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2016, 05:44 PM   #8
Deo

Put the scum in jail and throw away the key!!

Sent from my GTi-9305 using bloody Tapatalk
MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Deo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Alcohol abuse thread

What is the definition of 'Alcoholism' or 'alcohol abuse'?

Each individual is different and what one person can handle may not be the same for another so how do you determine a limit?

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #10
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to be a lot like many above no real reason, my low is a toss up between this story

we had gone away with 2 other couples for a parents weekend away in a cosey log cabin in the mountains druing winter, we got there later than the other couples and I not only caught up but overtook and lapped the other guys, finishing up hurling redwine on plush cream carpet

Or anther story I won't repeat

I laughed them off as every one does it from time to time

My wife was livid to say the least

What turned me was I took my 12yo son to a day on the green to see hunters n colletors I was driving so I wasn't drinking, but I finally witnessed sober how uncomfortable insanely drunk people made him and it shook me straight

I still drink but I couldn't tell you the last time I had the wobbly boot on

Now I rarely drink unless I'm entertaining and when I do it's just a couple and 9/10 I would be under 05 at the end of the night

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2016, 05:50 PM   #11
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Keep the hell away from spirits!
Beer is my only drink now, much easier to maintain, and count how many standard drinks you've had.
If you like a drink, or two, be in control.
Amen Brother marty351!!! x like a bazillion...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 06:06 PM   #12
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I am surprised to see there is no discussion about this subject. Many times we read or hear in the news about the affects of alcohol. Laws have been introduced to try and reduce the problem.

I rarely drink but when I do find that on very rare occasions I drink myself to a stupor. Last night was one of those occasions. It usually occurs when having a good time with friends and the alcohol is flowing freely over several hours. I never drink with the intention of getting plastered. But when drinking over such a long period it adds up and catches me out.

It is not a situation I like to be in. Any AFF members have thoughts on this topic? How do you avoid getting yourself well and truly pickled? Should I just become a teetotaller?
Tis not the drinking its what you do when you have been drinking that causes problems,i love drinking though is only if i am lucky a once a week thing usually as you posted with a few friends etc etc.For myself its having a few rules most importantly including food in the evening...seems to level things out another being having transportation organised beforehand if i am away from home.As i say getting drunks not a crime its the choices you make whilst being so that can turn it into one.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #13
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I am an alcoholic. Have been for many years.

Used to be a drug user in my younger years. Amphetamines - orally, not intravenous. Haven't touched the stuff for yonks. I used the gear to help with working shiftwork, kept me wide awake and alert.

I don't like getting ****ed out of my brain, but found alcohol as a crotch to be more socially acceptable. I don't get violent or unfriendly on booze. I just like the "buzz" it gives me. Having said that, I'm a "functioning" alco - if I have to go to work or perform a task I'm good for it - the drink can wait. Hope that makes some sense.

I fully understand how alcohol/drugs can destroy lives/families/relationships, have seen it first hand.

All things in moderation is an understatement coming from an alcoholic - you just need to control it before it controls you.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.

Last edited by supershifty; 06-02-2016 at 06:20 PM.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #14
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Tis not the drinking, its what you do when you have been drinking that causes problems,
Bingo! Doing or saying things I would not ever consider when I am sober.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I don't know how you guys do it, as soon as I touch the stuff I go all red and start sweating like a mofo.

I have the odd Corona or premix can here and there, because I like how it tastes and thats it.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #16
Kicking back

Quote:
Tis not the drinking its what you do when you have been drinking that causes problems,i love drinking though is only if i am lucky a once a week thing usually as you posted with a few friends etc etc.For myself its having a few rules most importantly including food in the evening...seems to level things out another being having transportation organised beforehand if i am away from home.As i say getting drunks not a crime its the choices you make whilst being so that can turn it into one.
I agree with that statement. There is a difference between having a social drink and being responsible, then there is people who intend on getting blind and rowdy. If the family and I go to the pub for dinner, 1 or 2 beers with dinner and she drives home makes for a nice night. On occasion when the wife and child are out for the evening, I'll take my self to the bottlo and grab a big 3 or whatever and stay home and unwind, as usually I'm stressed hard and even after hours I still cop work calls and emails and its always about stuff that you don't want to think about when at home in your own time. All in all there is a line, and it's a pretty big one, and if you decide to cross it, it usually leads to embarrassment. When's the last time you spewed after a can of coke?
3 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #17
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Have to add that my opinion was somewhat a learned opinion as in wise up or suffer the consequences etc...like many who like a tipple ive had a few to many and done some stupid ***** in my youth.Whats sad is seeing people do the same then suddenly there in there 40s and partys over ie they lost everything.Generally when people run into a brick wall it hurts so they dont bother doing it again some it seems develop a liking for it be it booze/drugs gambling etc etc.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #18
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I don't know how you guys do it, as soon as I touch the stuff I go all red and start sweating like a mofo.

I have the odd Corona or premix can here and there, because I like how it tastes and thats it.
So all those slabs your customers got you for Xmas....they may as well given you 6 boxes of dirt?

I go red and start sweating when I'm not touching it. I should just glue a stubbie-holder to my palm.

You should hear my recycle bin get emptied. It sounds like two cargo planes transporting drum-kits collided 10 metres above my house.

10 days without a smoke (cheating,e-cigarette) beer next, then pizza. I eat slices of pizza like most people eat popcorn.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2016, 07:36 PM   #19
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6 View Post
What is the definition of 'Alcoholism' or 'alcohol abuse'?

Each individual is different and what one person can handle may not be the same for another so how do you determine a limit?
Good question really.Waking up on Sunday morning with someone you wouldnt look twice at when sober could be defined as alcohol abuse,waking up 40 years later with the same chick may well get you thinking Alcoholism....that or shes really is a lovely person.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #20
snopony

Quote:
This.... witnessed this first hand- fixtures removed and destroyed (from friends houses) driving drunk despite people trying to wrangle/hide keys, then threatening the people that hide them, driving drunk with kids in the car and getting caught, stacking his car and walking home (to numerous to count) countless punchups, money withdrawn from atms when drunk, reversing into friends cars repeatedly with a trayback "cause its funny and they wont move" not being able to go to work "i must have picked up the flu..." Final straw punching the missus.

His answers "I dont rember any of that so it mustnt have been me"

..... and keeps drinking.

Then blames the wife for leaving.

Is it the grog? is it underlying issues? or a combination?
2 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2016, 07:42 PM   #21
Kicking back

Quote:
Have to add that my opinion was somewhat a learned opinion as in wise up or suffer the consequences etc...like many who like a tipple ive had a few to many and done some stupid ***** in my youth.Whats sad is seeing people do the same then suddenly there in there 40s and partys over ie they lost everything.Generally when people run into a brick wall it hurts so they dont bother doing it again some it seems develop a liking for it be it booze/drugs gambling etc etc.
I also have done dumb **** in the past, but when I walk down the street, over the crossing, and to the bowling club ( it's a 300m walk) I get a sense of self satisfaction on the odd occasion that I take myself there for a beer or 2, when with the standard issue conversations you have with a few of the locals, of whom I regularly run into up the shops or whatever, and they whinge and ***** abour rental prices etc and are typically single etc, but yet spend more time at the watering hole then at work, and I look at myself, I'm 28, nearly 4 years into a mortgage, married for 4 and a half years, and the kid is 6 and a half (don't judge me, I did the right thing in the end). I know first hand how it is to live for the moment, but if you have no forethought into how your actions can affect you current situation, it can affect just about everything. My dad, wise as he is, had major issues with wine if all things. When I was only little, all my memories was going to visit dad, as mum couldn't deal with it anymore. He sobered up for 18 years , and was great. A real father. Managed to start a company, did alright and retired at 50, however got bored at 52 and worked untill 58. He and mum split in 2008, and in that time I have seen a long descent. Dad may not have gone about things in the best of ways, but now it's hard to find a time when I can call him up and get a sober response. He is the big man in my life but I have seen the low point, then the rise to the top, and now it's where it is upsetting. Where do you sit? My grandma died from smoking, my grandpa died from drinking (7 strokes that took a few years, but the last few were visiting a vegetable)
Old 06-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #22
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopony View Post
This.... witnessed this first hand- fixtures removed and destroyed (from friends houses) driving drunk despite people trying to wrangle/hide keys, then threatening the people that hide them, driving drunk with kids in the car and getting caught, stacking his car and walking home (to numerous to count) countless punchups, money withdrawn from atms when drunk, reversing into friends cars repeatedly with a trayback "cause its funny and they wont move" not being able to go to work "i must have picked up the flu..." Final straw punching the missus.

His answers "I dont rember any of that so it mustnt have been me"

..... and keeps drinking.

Then blames the wife for leaving.

Is it the grog? is it underlying issues? or a combination?
Combination i reckon,booze is a stimulant which seems to end up being a depressant,in my experience with mates from troubled back grounds etc its all good for awhile but later in the evening out it comes.Everyone has bones in the wardrobe when it comes to life,alcohol in some people brings it out and **** goes bad,as i posted earlier its what you do when drinking that makes the difference.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #23
snopony

Quote:
Combination i reckon,booze is a stimulant which seems to end up being a depressant,in my experience with mates from troubled back grounds etc its all good for awhile but later in the evening out it comes.Everyone has bones in the wardrobe when it comes to life,alcohol in some people brings it out and **** goes bad,as i posted earlier its what you do when drinking that makes the difference.
yes of course, I forgot to add, one of the first things they teach you when you get your RSA (responsible service of alcohol) in NSW is that alcohol is a depressant.
I can remember clearly the course teacher saying to us "why do think you see so many guys at the pub sobbing into their beer that their life is crap"

makes sense.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:07 PM   #24
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I also have done dumb **** in the past, but when I walk down the street, over the crossing, and to the bowling club ( it's a 300m walk) I get a sense of self satisfaction on the odd occasion that I take myself there for a beer or 2, when with the standard issue conversations you have with a few of the locals, of whom I regularly run into up the shops or whatever, and they whinge and ***** abour rental prices etc and are typically single etc, but yet spend more time at the watering hole then at work, and I look at myself, I'm 28, nearly 4 years into a mortgage, married for 4 and a half years, and the kid is 6 and a half (don't judge me, I did the right thing in the end). I know first hand how it is to live for the moment, but if you have no forethought into how your actions can affect you current situation, it can affect just about everything. My dad, wise as he is, had major issues with wine if all things. When I was only little, all my memories was going to visit dad, as mum couldn't deal with it anymore. He sobered up for 18 years , and was great. A real father. Managed to start a company, did alright and retired at 50, however got bored at 52 and worked untill 58. He and mum split in 2008, and in that time I have seen a long descent. Dad may not have gone about things in the best of ways, but now it's hard to find a time when I can call him up and get a sober response. He is the big man in my life but I have seen the low point, then the rise to the top, and now it's where it is upsetting. Where do you sit?
"Where do i sit? " fella i reckon your doing ok,28 4 years into a mortgage with a 6 year old...all good so far eh,my parents split when i was 6 as like your mum mine had had enough of my old mans bull**** when ****ed,successful guy etc etc just never had the ability to say enough when it came to booze,love my old man still as it seems you do yours...all good i just make sure i dont end up as he has,nothing else i can do really.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #25
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Booze was always a problem for me in my line of work - clients and colleagues that drink big. And then there's the "reward factor" - a great week's work deserves a big night out. I think what I have done is substitute the high of getting smashed with the high of smashing out 50 kms on the bike. But I still have relapses occasionally where I'll kill a bottle of Scotch in 2 days.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #26
Kicking back

Quote:
"Where do i sit? " fella i reckon your doing ok,28 4 years into a mortgage with a 6 year old...all good so far eh,my parents split when i was 6 as like your mum mine had had enough of my old mans bull**** when ****ed,successful guy etc etc just never had the ability to say enough when it came to booze,love my old man still as it seems you do yours...all good i just make sure i dont end up as he has,nothing else i can do really.
Put it this way mate. My sister owns a unit dad bought for her(doesn't live in it anymore) my brother lives in a townhouse my parents own.. and me, I have a decent job, paid off my own car, have a family, and still manage to pay a mortgage. My wife always complains about having no hand outs, but in my opinion, being self made is more satisfying. Back on topic.. boozing too hard can, and will put pressure on other facts of life, moderation is the key and from one person to the other moderation is different
2 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #27
blakef6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
I am an alcoholic. Have been for many years.

Used to be a drug user in my younger years. Amphetamines - orally, not intravenous. Haven't touched the stuff for yonks. I used the gear to help with working shiftwork, kept me wide awake and alert.

I don't like getting ****ed out of my brain, but found alcohol as a crotch to be more socially acceptable. I don't get violent or unfriendly on booze. I just like the "buzz" it gives me. Having said that, I'm a "functioning" alco - if I have to go to work or perform a task I'm good for it - the drink can wait. Hope that makes some sense.

I fully understand how alcohol/drugs can destroy lives/families/relationships, have seen it first hand.

All things in moderation is an understatement coming from an alcoholic - you just need to control it before it controls you.

Cheers!
Completely understand mate. I used to be a user my whole 20s. I am now 32 and have been off it for a while. I was a functioning user (career,family,relationship). I am lucky i haven't taken up alcohol as my next vice. I don't have a vice now and I do get down/depressed because i have nothing but i just hope one day it gets easier being sober
blakef6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #28
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Booze was always a problem for me in my line of work - clients and colleagues that drink big. And then there's the "reward factor" - a great week's work deserves a big night out. I think what I have done is substitute the high of getting smashed with the high of smashing out 50 kms on the bike. But I still have relapses occasionally where I'll kill a bottle of Scotch in 2 days.
Fair play.Dunno if i would call it a "relapse' though mate.I will say it again theres nothing wrong with occasionally drinking to much (no matter what the do-gooders say) its what the result of doing so is thats the difference.As for 50kms on a bike your a better man than me unless its a motorbike.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #29
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ha!

truth syrum ;)
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #30
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
ha!

truth syrum ;)
Just to complicate things no doubt more so at the most inopportune moments.