Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Default Ford cracking down on Warranty

Now, this is not an opinion but an observation.
Saw an FG F6 at ford today, as my G6E-T was getting the fuel sensor and sub woofer replaced. I asked my mate the advisor why it was there and he told me it had oil leaks, with only 6000klms on it. Anyway, it had been there 2 weeks as Ford refused to warrant it. It needs a new sump, timing chain cover and head gasket. All pretty standard warranty items I opined.

Anyway, a ford engineer came up from Melbourne and went over the car with the foreman at the dealership I go to, and found the car had been flashed 36 times. Resultantly, Ford declined to warrant the car. The warranty guy said the car showed evidence of having been at a track, the pcm showed several over temperatures consistent with track use and as Ford design their vehicles for road use only, it was not covered under warranty.

Now, I'm not voicing an opinion as last time I was flamed, but thought it wise to mention it in the hope it may save someone being left with a hefty repair bill.
Finally, CRC and a solicitor are now looking at the case, as Ford conducts more scrutineering tests on the car. Apparently, the next step is more pressure tests and the like, an Xray with a die may be used for porous tests in the metal castings.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

Does FPV not include a track day with the purchase of a new FPV product?

That could go some way towards explaining the 'track use' results.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.

Last edited by Paxton; 01-06-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Saw an FG F6 at ford today, as my G6E-T was getting the fuel sensor and sub woofer replaced. I asked my mate the advisor why it was there and he told me it had oil leaks, with only 6000klms on it. Anyway, it had been there 2 weeks as Ford refused to warrant it. It needs a new sump, timing chain cover and head gasket. All pretty standard warranty items I opined.

Anyway, a ford engineer came up from Melbourne and went over the car with the foreman at the dealership I go to, and found the car had been flashed 36 times. Resultantly, Ford declined to warrant the car. The warranty guy said the car showed evidence of having been at a track, the pcm showed several over temperatures consistent with track use and as Ford design their vehicles for road use only, it was not covered under warranty.

Now, I'm not voicing an opinion as last time I was flamed, but thought it wise to mention it in the hope it may save someone being left with a hefty repair bill.
Finally, CRC and a solicitor are now looking at the case, as Ford conducts more scrutineering tests on the car. Apparently, the next step is more pressure tests and the like, an Xray with a die may be used for porous tests in the metal castings.
I wouldnt warrant it either if its been flashed 36 times and seen track use..

Old 01-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd

I would cost more to pay someone to fly around the country performing elaborate tests and writing reports over a period days then it would to simply order the parts (at cost) and replace them (wages only).
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Not even the track day Norm? But i guess the track day wouldnt involve consistant over temps. But i do agree with the not warranting the 36 'flashes'
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

36 times is alot for any car.

BUt it is interesting whether FPV is the same story, a high performance car at a track?

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Do FPV not include a track day with the purchase of a new FPV product?

That could go some way towards explaining the 'track use' results.
No the FPV track day is very tame. No high speed or continuous runs, you can work the car harder staying within the speed limits on the old putty road etc.

As a side observation, I owned a 271rwkw F6 for almost 3 years and I would have only flashed it about 10 times including resetting it to standard for services.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
No the FPV track day is very tame. No high speed or continuous runs, you can work the car harder staying within the speed limits on the old putty road etc.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

I was under the impression that FPV offered a track day, but had no idea what was on offer.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should not be expected to warrant it. By declining these for warranty maybe they could put the money towards the people that deserve the right of claims .
There are to many unfairly treated customers now that deserve better service an also to many that dont .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Surely if someone has flashed the ECU for more power they cant expect to get warranty on it. Thats just common knowledge.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I wouldnt warrant it either if its been flashed 36 times and seen track use..
I am not up with this Flash Tuning Stuff on the BA BF and FG's but 36 times sounds like a massive amount.

When you get it Flash Tuned does it just show up as 1 Time or does it depend on how many times you play with the settings and runs to get it right?

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
ltd
Force Fed Fords

It's a nice looking car too, in black. Estimated repair bill is over 7 thousand. Not surprisingly the owner doesn't want to pay for it. Apparently though, it is putting out (the owner boasted about this) over 360rwkw.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Doesn't Nissan void the warranty on their GTR if you have more then two runs down the quarter or not get the car serviced after track work??
Old 01-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Thats clears up my theroy of the track day then
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #15
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Doesn't Nissan void the warranty on their GTR if you have more then two runs down the quarter or not get the car serviced after track work??
I doubt any car company will warrant regular track work
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #16
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
It's a nice looking car too, in black. Estimated repair bill is over 7 thousand. Not surprisingly the owner doesn't want to pay for it. Apparently though, it is putting out (the owner boasted about this) over 360rwkw.

Obviously an owner that didnt read the 'you tinker, no warranty' part of the contract
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
They should not be expected to warrant it. By declining these for warranty maybe they could put the money towards the people that deserve the right of claims .
There are to many unfairly treated customers now .
On the other hand, they have accused the owner of misuse. If the owner has not admitted anything and this ends up in court it will be most likely that Ford will get the silver medal.

But then if the owner is a goose like one up here who fitted nitrous and had a magazine article published about it before truing to claim the destroyed engine under warranty he might not be successful.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Just another thread about someones lack of knowledge when it comes to warenty and modifacation's, surley the owner would have known better.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
I doubt any car company will warrant regular track work
My point is its a $150k designed sports car, yet they are very strict on its use.

So thinking your getting warranty on a modified F6 is a tad naive.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

36 times is an awful lot, sounds like it's almost been used for a tuner to "practice" their FG stuff on. Either way, you play you pay.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #21
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
On the other hand, they have accused the owner of misuse. If the owner has not admitted anything and this ends up in court it will be most likely that Ford will get the silver medal.

But then if the owner is a goose like one up here who fitted nitrous and had a magazine article published about it before truing to claim the destroyed engine under warranty he might not be successful.
Someone actually did that? Unbelievable.

The ford guy Marty was telling me of a BF XR6T that had a destroyed engine after 30,000klm (this was before they could read the pcm's for flash evidence), and Ford refused the warranty. When the customer mounted a legal challenge (letter of demand etc, legal correspondence), Ford basically referred him to youtube which featured his runs, dyno work with outputs and listed modifications. Subsequently his challenge was withdrawn and he had a mates workshop carry out the repairs.

Quote: