Old 26-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Arrow Toyota’s tag team on top in SUV market

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2575BB0016A82B

Quote:
Kluger, Prado give Ford Territory a tough time in the medium SUV market

By IAN PORTER 19 May 2009

WITH the benefit of hindsight, the Ford Territory’s time at the top of the heap in the medium SUV sector was just a blip on Toyota’s time line.

Using the might-is-right method, Toyota released a second model into the sector – the Kluger – only a few months before Ford unveiled the Territory in May 2004.

It was a pre-emptive strike that did not work well at first, at least in terms of suppressing the ‘Terry’.

The Ford went to number one, but subsequently was brought back to the pack by the combined might of the Kluger and the Prado.

Toyota has almost all aspects covered with those two – the Kluger covering the softroader market, with the Prado appealing to 4WD buyers who want to go rock-climbing.

The Toyota range lacks only a high-performance version to counter the highly successful, but necessarily smaller volume, Ghia Turbo Territory.

It might have taken two of them to catch the Territory, but the constant model cycles that can be maintained with an international market and volumes to match have accelerated Toyota’s advantage. The Prado was given a better turbo-diesel engine in 2006 – something the Territory still cannot offer – while the Kluger was renewed in 2007.

The Territory had to wait until last month for a minor facelift and upgrade.

As might be expected, sales of medium SUVs declined during the period of high fuel prices and the global financial crisis.

Sales fell off a small cliff in June last year – down from 7.9 per cent to 7.1 per cent of the overall market – and continued to ease for the next five months.

Then, as the pain of fuel prices subsided towards the end of last year and manufacturers stimulated the market to reduce inventories, sales jumped back in December, from 6.7 per cent to 7.6 per cent. This was just above the 12-month average of 7.5 per cent.

Every model on the graph rose in December except the Pathfinder, with sales of the Territory, Captiva and Pajero all jumping more than 35 per cent in a month. The Kluger was up 29 per cent and the Prado “only” 15 per cent.

This year, Prado and Kluger have exchanged number-one honours in the segment, ahead of Territory.

While the big three slug it out at the top, Holden’s Captiva has been making steady progress in its bid to close the gap. It’s still fourth in the rankings, but was a much closer fourth in April.

GM marketing chief John Elsworth said the Captiva had been a particular focus for Holden since December, especially with extra value deals and driveaway prices.

“It combines sporty good looks, fuel efficiency and a featured-packed, flexible package,” Mr Elsworth said. He said private buyers were attracted to the availability of seven seats across the range. The availability of a turbo-diesel variant also gave it the edge over some of its rivals.

The minor placings on the graph are being squabbled over by Pajero, Pathfinder and the CX-9, with the Pajero appearing to have lost some of its advantage in the last 12 months.

However, release of the upgraded NT model in February looks to have already started to improve the car’s fortunes, with a notable kick up in sales in April.
I have to admire Toyota for their business savvy and ability to plan for what the market wants. Its vindicated by their sales and shows a gaping hole in Ford's lineup.

Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2575BB0016A82B

I have to admire Toyota for their business savvy and ability to plan for what the market wants. Its vindicated by their sales and shows a gaping hole in Ford's lineup.
Enter the Kuga.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Enter the Kuga.
Isn't the Kuga in the mid size SUV market - competing with Outlander, Xtrail and Rav 4?
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

It's hard to imagine that the next series "Aussie Only" Territory (diesel, revised interior & exterior) due 2010-2011 will ever be a match for the Global Toyota Mid Size 4x4's.

It's a real shame as it's a great car which may never see a second generation model. If only Ford AU had the money required to invest in it, or the market to export it.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've driven both Territory and Kluger and I reckon they are both great cars (or SUVs). I prefer the exterior styling of the Terry but reckon the Kluger has the nicer interior (well KX-S and up). Would happily own either.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Isn't the Kuga in the mid size SUV market - competing with Outlander, Xtrail and Rav 4?
It will at least provide an alternative to the Territory.

Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Porter
WITH the benefit of hindsight, the Ford Territory’s time at the top of the heap in the medium SUV sector was just a blip on Toyota’s time line.
I based it on what Mr Porter wrote.
After all, he's the expert. :

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
It will at least provide an alternative to the Territory.
Yes but it's not even here yet and at least 2 years away.
Old 26-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

The Kluger, the ugly toyota 4wd that they rolled in wheels magazine cos the esp is worse than not having it at all?
Yeah, i laugh at anyone who owns one.
Old 26-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
The Kluger, the ugly toyota 4wd that they rolled in wheels magazine cos the esp is worse than not having it at all?
I doubt that (the failing of the ESP test) is a factor in peoples minds when they buy these types of cars. I would expect less than 5% of Klugers ever see a dirt road; and as such the failure of ESP on dirt would probably not be in many people's minds when they put the deposit down.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
The thing is, people are still buying them. The article is right: Toyota have the game sewn up and Ford have been caught flat footed.
Old 26-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #11
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
So did I until my boss bought his wife one, she go the Grande and as a car (which it is) it is outstanding. For $50K its got features that even the $75K Prado Grande doesn't have, and its bigger! There is more legroom in the back of the Kluger than a Fairlane.

Trust me, the wheels thing... one off incident that couldn't be replicated by other journalists.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #12
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

50k? cheap. RRp: $65k for 2wd, $70k awd. and u'd be lucky to get a discount bigger then 5k in most cases.
But feature wise, 2nd to none.
hy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #13
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hy_boi
50k? cheap. RRp: $65k for 2wd, $70k awd. and u'd be lucky to get a discount bigger then 5k in most cases.
But feature wise, 2nd to none.
Nah we are good at bargaining, ABN discount, Gold Discount and fleet discount. It was $55K on the road.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

It doesn't surprise me, the Territory has been left to stagnate for so long now with minimal changes and no diesel option - the latter dealers have been crying out for a while now. I suspect the lack of development funds are the primary reason why the Territory is getting its first facelift now, which is unfortunate as buyers are already going elsewhere for fresher product.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #15
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
It doesn't surprise me, the Territory has been left to stagnate for so long now with minimal changes and no diesel option - the latter dealers have been crying out for a while now. I suspect the lack of development funds are the primary reason why the Territory is getting its first facelift now, which is unfortunate as buyers are already going elsewhere for fresher product.
This is the reason the Territory is falling behind.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #16
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
Nah we are good at bargaining, ABN discount, Gold Discount and fleet discount. It was $55K on the road.
ABN discount? Gold discount? Fleet discount? Bahahaha

55k ain't bad for gold fleet pricing.
hy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #17
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2575C9000718C0

Quote:
Toyota opens Chinese factory to make Kluger, boosting production capacity 80%

By MARTON PETTENDY 2 June 2009

TOYOTA has started Chinese production of the Highlander SUV, which is known as the Kluger in Australia where the local subsidiary of the world’s largest car-maker still hopes to secure production of the next-generation model beyond 2012.

As previously reported, GoAuto understands that Japanese production of the Kluger will cease in Japan, where Australia’s version is made, after the current model is replaced by an all-new vehicle that is not due to emerge for at least two years.

Toyota Australia has made no secret of its desire to add a third model line at its Altona facility in Victoria, which produces the Camry and Aurion sedans and could easily be expanded to produce any Toyota Modular Platform-based vehicle, including the Kluger.

It is not clear what bearing, if any, Kluger manufacture in China will have on Toyota Australia’s Kluger production hopes, but Toyota makes it clear the new assembly line in the Nansha District of Guangzhou in Guangdong will be for domestic production only.

The new Highlander assembly line represents a total investment of 4.26 billion yuan ($A772 million) by Guangzhou Toyota Motor Corporation (GTMC), which is a joint-venture between Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) and Guangzhou Automobile Industry Group.

“TMC is looking forward to continuing to work with our business partner Guangzhou Automobile in strengthening GTMC’s foothold in the Chinese market and steadfastly increasing its operations, thereby enabling GTMC to provide even more products and services that will be welcomed by consumers in China,” said TMC executive vice-president Takeshi Uchiyamada.

Sales of the Chinese-built Highlander, which will be priced between 248,800 yuan ($A45,000) and 429,800 yuan ($A78,000) in China, began on May 25 – the same day a line-off ceremony was held to open the new facility. GTMC said it has a 2009 sales target for the Highlander of 20,000 vehicles.

The Highlander will be built on the second assembly line to be formed by GTMC in south China, and brings the venture’s total annual production capacity to 360,000 vehicles – up 80 per cent.

In addition to annual production capacity of 200,000 examples of the Camry, which was the first vehicle to be manufactured by GTMC, in May 2006, the Highlander will join the Yaris, which entered production in China in May 2008, on a second assembly line that will produce 40,000 vehicles initially, increasing to 160,000.

GTMC’s more advanced and energy-efficient new assembly line will produce both 2.7-litre four-cylinder and 3.5-litre V6 versions of the Highlander, which it describes as it first “luxury SUV”.

Toyota also builds its Crown, Vios and Reiz models in China in a joint-venture arrangement with FAW Group.
I think that this will scupper Toyota Australia's hopes of building the Kluger here - why would Toyota fund a production line expansion at Altona for this vehicle when it will more than likely be made in China cheaper than it ever can here?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #18
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2575C9000718C0

I think that this will scupper Toyota Australia's hopes of building the Kluger here - why would Toyota fund a production line expansion at Altona for this vehicle when it will more than likely be made in China cheaper than it ever can here?
Because they wholly own the factory in Altona and the Fedral government will no doubt pay for it.