Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-03-2024, 08:04 AM   #181
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australian fuel efficiency standards aimed at cutting petrol bills, 'catching up' with US

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Wouldn’t be surprised if more children and pedestrians are injured by rouge cyclists and E scooter riders than vehicles the greens love to hate.
Thats exactly right.
I pick up elderly in a mini bus.
There is one 90 year old near a school zone.
I park on the street.
I have pleaded with this lady -when you get to your letter box look left and right.
Cause the kids are off to school on ebikes bikes and scooters and their vision is to the straight ahead no left and right.
And the elderly lady still hasnt learnt to look left and right.
We try to manage by reversing into her drive but not always possible with the busy traffic flow.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 11:02 AM   #182
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Australian fuel efficiency standards aimed at cutting petrol bills, 'catching up' with US

Yarra Council is getting a fair amount of support for it on 7 News Melbourne's X/Twitter feed, reeks of people salty over others able to afford expensive vehicles and keep fuel up to them in this economic climate.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 01:04 PM   #183
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
as are bull bars. just right for smashing little kiddies brains in. I've said it before, but I've no idea why we still have these. If the council want to get on their high horse and ban something for 'safety' then how about look at these in the City?
agree with you. It's been like this a long time, big bull bars on utes and wagons in the city. When I lived in Perth, a 17 yo boy was hit (on the sidewalk I recall) by one on Stirling hwy, just before exams. Truly sad. I'd removed the bar from my 60 for exactly that reason, not that it would help much in that situation.
Old 11-03-2024, 01:09 PM   #184
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The E-Scooters seem to be a total free for all, no regs; scooters hitting pedestrians, pedestrians taking out scooters, cars hitting scooters, night time knock downs, self inflicted injury:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/m...eb52f06bb49483

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...03-p5bmth.html
Old 11-03-2024, 01:15 PM   #185
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
agree with you. It's been like this a long time, big bull bars on utes and wagons in the city. When I lived in Perth, a 17 yo boy was hit (on the sidewalk I recall) by one on Stirling hwy, just before exams. Truly sad. I'd removed the bar from my 60 for exactly that reason, not that it would help much in that situation.
What if you travel 50:50 between city and country?
What if you drive country every weekend?
‘No bull bars’ screams like it’s from out of touch city dwellers who haven’t realised people live in areas past the 60kmh zone.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 01:16 PM   #186
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
It's not impossible though, just a matter of thinking what's needed per jobsite and when.
I've worked in places where the trade guys will keep their stuff onsite and still want to park right in front of the front door for no reason other than being FN lazy.

When I work in $ydney I use public transport carrying a bag of hand tools.
Tons of sandstone can be delivered as can sand and cement, which I'll do regularly. Stone can show up onsite within a days order.
If its a job where I need star pickets, shovels etc these I can be dropped off via car/truck previous to starting said job.

Country Victoria is a totally different approach granite needs to be picked by myself from the quarry as it can not be pre delivered and simply cut to shape like NSW/QLD Sandstone.

And Melbourne, its back to a mix of PT or truck if needing to bring granite from outside. Melbourne's soft Blue stone is easy to work so can be delivered to site and worked into required shapes.

Any thing can be worked around if you are open to it, is my point.
Not for everyone but its a good mix.
may also have a van stacked with $???k+ plus of tools and bits - not a bucket full of rock chippers??
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 01:18 PM   #187
DMXR6T

Bottom line for me is that anything that "dick fingers" Bowen proposes, go the other way. Absolute crap about "saving" $1,800 per year in fuel - Bowen will not say how that figure is derived...probably from comparing the worst possible current vehicle and driving 100,00km per year. reality is that the increased cost will never be cover by any real world fuel savings. Anyway, let me decide what I drive. The reality is that with the low KMs that I drive my Sprint 6 every year, the pollution cost of producing a new car EV would be far higher. The real agenda is to get everyone out of their own car and into public transport (that goes from where you are not to where you do not want to go, at a time that you are not there! And controlled by unions that can then blackmail us.).

Everything that Bowen has touched he has f****ed. Check his history. Vote that muppet out.
DMXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 01:28 PM   #188
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Issue with public transport in Melbourne is frequency of services, buses have frequencies of 45 mins to 1 hour around Melbourne, predominantly Western suburbs that are under serviced with public transport infrastructure and then they travel on roads that are absolutely cooked with traffic and the Western Freeway.

Sunbury line is 30 minutes in off peak,

Where as Sydney has much more frequent services on a lot of its metro lines, things like 7 minute frequencies and for longer.

With me my closest train station is 16km away, and in peak the frequency is once every hour, once every 2 hours in off peak and if I go to the closest metro line well I'm half way to my destination so might as well as continue driving.

Or shit like try go from western suburbs say Sunshine to Melbourne Airport.

Public transport - 1 hour 20 mins:

Driving - 19 minutes:

Its just absolutely shit unless you want to go to Melbourne CBD or somewhere along your train line.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 11-03-2024 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-03-2024, 01:42 PM   #189
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
may also have a van stacked with $???k+ plus of tools and bits - not a bucket full of rock chippers??
Obviously haven't bought diamond tipped and tungten carbide hand tools have they.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2024, 03:48 PM   #190
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Issue with public transport in Melbourne is frequency of services, buses have frequencies of 45 mins to 1 hour around Melbourne, predominantly Western suburbs that are under serviced with public transport infrastructure and then they travel on roads that are absolutely cooked with traffic and the Western Freeway.

Sunbury line is 30 minutes in off peak,

Where as Sydney has much more frequent services on a lot of its metro lines, things like 7 minute frequencies and for longer.

With me my closest train station is 16km away, and in peak the frequency is once every hour, once every 2 hours in off peak and if I go to the closest metro line well I'm half way to my destination so might as well as continue driving.

Or shit like try go from western suburbs say Sunshine to Melbourne Airport.

Public transport - 1 hour 20 mins:

Driving - 19 minutes:

Its just absolutely shit unless you want to go to Melbourne CBD or somewhere along your train line.
Whats wrong with you, public transport phtttt! Uber is the go and Melbourne West is the capital of Uber.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2024, 03:56 PM   #191
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
It's not impossible though, just a matter of thinking what's needed per jobsite and when.
I've worked in places where the trade guys will keep their stuff onsite and still want to park right in front of the front door for no reason other than being FN lazy.

When I work in $ydney I use public transport carrying a bag of hand tools.
Tons of sandstone can be delivered as can sand and cement, which I'll do regularly. Stone can show up onsite within a days order.
If its a job where I need star pickets, shovels etc these I can be dropped off via car/truck previous to starting said job.

Country Victoria is a totally different approach granite needs to be picked by myself from the quarry as it can not be pre delivered and simply cut to shape like NSW/QLD Sandstone.

And Melbourne, its back to a mix of PT or truck if needing to bring granite from outside. Melbourne's soft Blue stone is easy to work so can be delivered to site and worked into required shapes.

Any thing can be worked around if you are open to it, is my point.
Not for everyone but its a good mix.
When I was last in the trade, a very well stocked vehicle was a must. You could be pulled of a job to go to another one at a minutes notice.
Leaving tools or materials onsite is like inviting thieves to your goods.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2024, 04:21 PM   #192
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
When I was last in the trade, a very well stocked vehicle was a must. You could be pulled of a job to go to another one at a minutes notice.
FFS........ Depends on what trade really. Yes, each of my trucks are well stocked but doesn't mean I need them at every site. It works for me.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2024, 04:26 PM   #193
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Spot on.
So much stuff knocked off these days.
Another factor is so many Builders going into liquidation.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2024, 07:52 PM   #194
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
The E-Scooters seem to be a total free for all, no regs; scooters hitting pedestrians, pedestrians taking out scooters, cars hitting scooters, night time knock downs, self inflicted injury:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/m...eb52f06bb49483

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...03-p5bmth.html
They love these things in Campbellfield, see them all the time, recently one was fanging down Sydney Rd in amongst traffic and he left us all for dead, we were doing around 60km/h.

I think they need safety gear on par with motorbikes I reckon, proper helmet and gear up properly if you're going to fang along at those speeds on your e-scooter.

I got no dramas with people riding e-scooters keeping up with traffic, but like motorbike, wear the safety gear.
Old 11-03-2024, 08:38 PM   #195
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They love these things in Campbellfield, see them all the time, recently one was fanging down Sydney Rd in amongst traffic and he left us all for dead, we were doing around 60km/h.

I think they need safety gear on par with motorbikes I reckon, proper helmet and gear up properly if you're going to fang along at those speeds on your e-scooter.
I can top that ...

In QLD, the e-scooter speed limit is 25 kph and the rider must wear a helmet. Three houses down from me, the father bought his two teenage sons e-scooters to play with when the lads are staying over at Dad's. Both lads spend time on the weekends tearing up and down our suburban street (50kph speed limit for registered vehicles). I have stop-watched them at around 70 kph, and of course no helmet. A neighbour and I had a calm chat with the lads about the dangers of not wearing a helmet and to watch their speed in a street that children play in. For our troubles, we got some backchat from the father about having a go at his teenage boys. The next option is to go to the police with security camera footage (which would prove no helmets and give a good indication of their speed). But, given all of the other more pressing societal problems the police have to put up with, I doubt they would have the time. If their father is not going to set boundaries, then in a few years time they will probably go silly once they get their car/bike licence.

But, look on the bright side, the e-scooter is highly energy efficient transport that will help Australia meet its CO2 emissions target (along with maiming and killing innocent bystanders).
whynot is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2024, 08:39 PM   #196
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

E scooter riders
Like cyclists
Like motorcycle riders

Are temporary Australians

Waiting for the axe of a texting driver looking at their phone and not at the road
Old 11-03-2024, 08:41 PM   #197
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
I can top that ...

In QLD, the e-scooter speed limit is 25 kph and the rider must wear a helmet. Three houses down from me, the father bought his two teenage sons e-scooters to play with when the lads are staying over at Dad's. Both lads spend time on the weekends tearing up and down our suburban street (50kph speed limit for registered vehicles). I have stop-watched them at around 70 kph, and of course no helmet. A neighbour and I had a calm chat with the lads about the dangers of not wearing a helmet and to watch their speed in a street that children play in. For our troubles, we got some backchat from the father about having a go at his teenage boys. The next option is to go to the police with security camera footage (which would prove no helmets and give a good indication of their speed). But, given all of the other more pressing societal problems the police have to put up with, I doubt they would have the time. If their father is not going to set boundaries, then in a few years time they will probably go silly once they get their car/bike licence.

But, look on the bright side, the e-scooter is highly energy efficient transport that will help Australia meet its CO2 emissions target (along with maiming and killing innocent bystanders).
I have had one on the bike lane beside me doing 80 on the Gc
Old 11-03-2024, 10:22 PM   #198
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
......If their father is not going to set boundaries, then in a few years time they will probably go silly once they get their car/bike licence.
From what you have indicated I doubt they will get to that stage and dad can then start a foundation in their honor, which is the norm nowadays.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2024, 10:33 PM   #199
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Or they fall off hired scooters while on the gear in Bali and bleat for donations on Gofundme.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2024, 05:01 PM   #200
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personal transportation has arrived in a very silly place in 2024. Years ago they promised flying cars but instead we have auto brake assist so texting drivers don't run over pedestrians, free Obikes in trees and lakes, and teens can speed without consequence (save: head injury) on e scooters before any thought of going for a licence even enters their mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdgPBwioPkY

I can't believe these things are in traffic when physics sends their riders face planting. We live in a more retarded world now.
Old 12-03-2024, 06:10 PM   #201
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Personal transportation has arrived in a very silly place in 2024. Years ago they promised flying cars but instead we have auto brake assist so texting drivers don't run over pedestrians, free Obikes in trees and lakes, and teens can speed without consequence (save: head injury) on e scooters before any thought of going for a licence even enters their mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdgPBwioPkY

I can't believe these things are in traffic when physics sends their riders face planting. We live in a more retarded world now.
I'm the retard king, I'm surprised I've lived this long
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2024, 07:33 PM   #202
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
You’re not, the retards flashing down our footpath (out front during school drop off time) without helmets going faster than traffic (50kph) are.

Luckily I haven’t had to Karcher their stupid brains off our driveway or the footpath out front.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2024, 09:49 PM   #203
ToryMikey

Quote:
Yarra Council is getting a fair amount of support for it on 7 News Melbourne's X/Twitter feed, reeks of people salty over others able to afford expensive vehicles and keep fuel up to them in this economic climate.
That's soycialism for you, it all comes down to one thing and that's envy.
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2024, 10:07 PM   #204
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

getting quite nanny here for me.
We were rougues back in the day on pushys.
Flying up pathways, cars blindly back out of driveways you go flying over the handle bars.
Fly through the shop pathways between pedestrians.
Countless accidents, be it high and low speeds.
Yes sorry for the aged or a accident that really cause's harm to an innocent victim but isn't this life.
Do you some of you want every single thing in life regulated.

I know some will get offended or lamblast me but for christ sake, everyone don't venture out of their homes one day.
As Franco mentioned being a retard, how many of us are lucky to be alive long before him, I luv using those scooters sorry
Whilst in Milan late last year my son and I ripped around the place for days on end, what a hoot, on the pathways, on the streets, doing wheel stands, jumping off gutters you name it I'm still a retard and I luv it.
Shit happens, some cop it some don't, some just shouldn't try anything that requires co ordination.
Anywhere around school zones I agree should have limits imposed no diff to us in cars and helmuts must be worn, well in this over regulated country thats for sure.

Great vid Sprintey.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2024, 10:47 PM   #205
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah yeah the pushy adventures. Worst I copped was a car reversing across the cyclepath, all the houses had brick walls so it came out of the blue so I skidded sideways and adorned both doors with a bike imprint. They asked "Are you alright," and I was "Yeah I'm ok, but you might want to look at your doors." Think I went over handlebars once as well, going down the biggest hill in the suburb, landed on a lawn luckily. Hire bikes at Rotto were ghosted off the main jetty to add to the artificial reef down there - funnily enough, just like today's hire bikes.

Texting while walking accidents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl0JojWH1rQ

"...a bear on the loose..."

It's probably more a case of a suite of new technolgies, and we are all in the beta test of them.

Last edited by Sprintey; 12-03-2024 at 10:58 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2024, 10:48 PM   #206
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Pls share your e scooter adventures Franco!
Old 12-03-2024, 11:36 PM   #207
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
getting quite nanny here for me.
We were rougues back in the day on pushys.
Flying up pathways, cars blindly back out of driveways you go flying over the handle bars.
Fly through the shop pathways between pedestrians.
Countless accidents, be it high and low speeds.
Yes sorry for the aged or a accident that really cause's harm to an innocent victim but isn't this life.
Do you some of you want every single thing in life regulated.

I know some will get offended or lamblast me but for christ sake, everyone don't venture out of their homes one day.
As Franco mentioned being a retard, how many of us are lucky to be alive long before him, I luv using those scooters sorry
Whilst in Milan late last year my son and I ripped around the place for days on end, what a hoot, on the pathways, on the streets, doing wheel stands, jumping off gutters you name it I'm still a retard and I luv it.
Shit happens, some cop it some don't, some just shouldn't try anything that requires co ordination.
Anywhere around school zones I agree should have limits imposed no diff to us in cars and helmuts must be worn, well in this over regulated country thats for sure.

Great vid Sprintey.
Summernats last year, you know what the alcohol and the crowd is like, we've all got no phone service so we can't organise ubers to get out of the joint, because the phone towers are cooked - so I start making my way back to Canberra CBD on foot until I can get phone reception.

The crowd has all been sinking copious amounts of ****, and we're on foot, and then greeted with this magical sight just outside the venue:

The ONLY reason I refuse to use these things is there'll be something sticking up on the road/footpath and I know I'm going to hit it, come off and eat shit face first.
Old 12-03-2024, 11:48 PM   #208
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
What if you travel 50:50 between city and country?
What if you drive country every weekend?
‘No bull bars’ screams like it’s from out of touch city dwellers who haven’t realised people live in areas past the 60kmh zone.
That'd be me...
Never had one, will never have one, never needed one and still here to tell the tale. Just another accessory being sold to you like Maxx trax and Bush chook mudflaps.
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2024, 12:32 AM   #209
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
That'd be me...
Never had one, will never have one, never needed one and still here to tell the tale. Just another accessory being sold to you like Maxx trax and Bush chook mudflaps.
My favorite is those plastic 'roo whistle' things, I'm calling bullshit on those.
Old 13-03-2024, 02:14 AM   #210
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
That'd be me...
Well it’s all about reducing the risk.
I’ve never come off any of my motorbikes on the road. Doesn’t mean I don’t need a helmet when riding one.
I did 3 months driving a truck from the SW into Perth every day and seen enough roo damaged cars sitting on the side of Forest and Bussel highways to make me think twice before driving at night.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post