Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Should the motor industry be a totally level playing field
Hell yes, I would love to see this 17 22.67%
Yes but only for new cars 2 2.67%
Yes but only for cars that are already sold here e.g. Ford yes, WhoFlungDung no 5 6.67%
Possibly but there would still have to be some restrictions for safety 7 9.33%
No, it would destroy our industry and hurt our economy 39 52.00%
Hell no, this would destroy our heritage 5 6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Level playing field, another bloody hypothetical

Well there seems to be a rather active thread in the BAR on the whole overseas shopping and tax free advantage so as this is actually a CAR forum I thought I would turn it around a bit.

So Gerry and his mate did a high court challenge to the Government rules and protectionism and got their bums handed to them in a big way.
The court rules that it was unconstitutional to restrict any trade in any way as now we are "one world" so section 92 applies to everywhere.

Of course this now applies to motor vehicles as well so anyone can import anything and drive it on our roads regardless of whether it was originally designed to be driven here.

Great cries of joy as a Nissan GTR is now $60,000, a M3 is $50,000 and mustangs start at about $30,000.
Merc and Audi sedans are in the $20-40k and chinese and korean junk, I mean "budget cars" are available for mid 4 digits.

Unfortunately the entire Australian car industry has had to move offshore sacking all of their employees but who cares....cars are heaps cheap, bloody Ford and FPV.....ripping us off for years the bastards....suck on that.
And the holden bogans.....now they are sticking lion badges on FWD pontiacs, oldsmobiles and chevrolets.

No warranty unless you buy off the actual dealer and pay full price but they will fix your broken car.....how much money do you have?

So was this a good idea?
Is the end worth the means?

And what would one of these things be without a poll....

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I wish this would apply to older vehicles that are imported. Save a LOT of headaches.

As for new vehicles, I cant really comment. In the end, I would see it hurting local car manufacturers who cannot compete with slave labour rates for the "cheaper" sector.

But conversely, it would allow local manufacturers to become less complacent in the face of high quality euro-imports. Perhaps even pick up our game.
As I would assume that due to our vehicles being impossible to manufacture in the chinese price ranges, that we will target our cars to the upper range. And as a result make them more competitive to such imported models.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
I wish this would apply to older vehicles that are imported. Save a LOT of headaches.

As for new vehicles, I cant really comment. In the end, I would see it hurting local car manufacturers who cannot compete with slave labour rates for the "cheaper" sector.

But conversely, it would allow local manufacturers to become less complacent in the face of high quality euro-imports. Perhaps even pick up our game.
As I would assume that due to our vehicles being impossible to manufacture in the chinese price ranges, that we will target our cars to the upper range. And as a result make them more competitive to such imported models.
But would you pay $100,000 (in current pricing) for a G6ET with the build quality and features of, for example, a LEXUS?

I could not imagine many would really
Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
But would you pay $100,000 (in current pricing) for a G6ET with the build quality and features of, for example, a LEXUS?

I could not imagine many would really

Thats one thing we will never know for sure. Theres no doubts that Ford could produce such a car, the problem is that Australias market is too small to see any real results from it.

So that being the case, yes it would send local manufacturers into ruin if there was a significant decrease in pricing of imports.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I would have to say that as you put it would be a big no, particularly in respect to ensuring ADR compliance and lack of consumer protection through warranty.

I could see how a reduction in import taxes and tariffs plus a relaxation on LCT could benefit the aussie motorist with an increase of choices within their budget but the risk here is the aussie motor industry.

So in the absence of a suitable choice in the poll, my answer is no but it is not a firm no, I could be swayed under the right conditions.

I think this hypothetical is taking the elements of the other discussion too far.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Really cheap cars from overseas sounds good.
That's all I have to say.

It's pathetic that an American car cost double here then what it does in the states.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I would have to say that as you put it would be a big no, particularly in respect to ensuring ADR compliance and lack of consumer protection through warranty.

I could see how a reduction in import taxes and tariffs plus a relaxation on LCT could benefit the aussie motorist with an increase of choices within their budget but the risk here is the aussie motor industry.

So in the absence of a suitable choice in the poll, my answer is no but it is not a firm no, I could be swayed under the right conditions.

I think this hypothetical is taking the elements of the other discussion too far.
Yes I am trying to make it the equivalent of the online overseas shopping thread.
You can import electrical gizmos that do not comply with any Australian safety standards and have no warranty so I just changed it to cars.

The warranty is from the importer and as you are the importer then the warranty is your problem. This is part of the way you save money. You can always send it back to get sorted
Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Cheaper BMW vs a car industry. An S/C 5.0 GT vs an AMG. Really thats all it boils down to.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And the Holden bogans.....now they are sticking lion badges on FWD Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles and Chevrolets.
Would mark a welcome change to the current trend of removing Holden badges and putting Chevrolet badges on their cars. The amount of new VE models with Pontiac badges in concerning too...
Old 09-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #10
bingoTE50
Steve

I voted a level playing field for new vehicles but I would rather the safety comment attached to this selection. Maybe our ADR's are to high.
I am basing my selection on tariiff removal ,if there is still any ?
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Cheaper BMW vs a car industry. An S/C 5.0 GT vs an AMG. Really thats all it boils down to.
That's how it seems...... Told you blokes what would happen when you voted "Flappie" in fer PM.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

I voted hell yes and I will explain why....

I don't have enough knowledge regarding the economics of it all but it would be like Paradigm Shift forced by other factors,
like a Revolution of sorts.

Example:
Much like film became obselete when digital cameras hit the scene and Kodak workers where sacked.
Sad for the workers, but we all rejoiced in this technology at the time and still do!

I would imagine that same kind of excitement if it eventuated and we can pick up any car from around the world
brand new for half price.

In this case I could give less than a stuff about Ford, Holden or any company that has making good money of us.
They have had it all to themselves for ever and now the time has come and we have front row seats to witness
this transformation.

They too will need to step up and compete and make the GT335 $24999, YEAH!

If they can't do that, then we will have no choice but to buy M3s, Skylines etc... as the op said.

But, it's another bloody hypopathetical
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

as things stand, its a big no from me. you would kill the local industry in very short time. i don't believe they are ripping us off either. the fact is, with such a small population to offset any cost, it is expensive to manufacture in australia.

having said that, there are many companies that build cars all round the world. cars with german badges on them coming out of 3rd world countries. a lot of manufacturers build cars where it is cheap to build them. if ford shut up shop in australia, and moved its manufacturing to china or thailand, there would be a substantial decrease in the price of a new falcon. whilst this may seem like a good thing, the aussie auto industry employs 10's of 1000's of people.

on a slightly different topic, its why i think the tariffs should never have been lowered, or not as much. sure it gives consumers more choice, but there are many families that are now so much worse off because their bread winner got layed off.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaFlash
I voted hell yes and I will explain why....

I don't have enough knowledge regarding the economics of it all but it would be like Paradigm Shift forced by other factors,
like a Revolution of sorts.

Example:
Much like film became obselete when digital cameras hit the scene and Kodak workers where sacked.
Sad for the workers, but we all rejoiced in this technology at the time and still do!

I would imagine that same kind of excitement if it eventuated and we can pick up any car from around the world
brand new for half price.

In this case I could give less than a stuff about Ford, Holden or any company that has making good money of us.
They have had it all to themselves for ever and now the time has come and we have front row seats to witness
this transformation.

They too will need to step up and compete and make the GT335 $24999, YEAH!

If they can't do that, then we will have no choice but to buy M3s, Skylines etc... as the op said.

But, it's another bloody hypopathetical
i do realise its only a hypothetical, but its a very selfish way to look at things. there is no way ford or holden could build their cars a lot cheaper. they don't make a lot of profit on each unit. there's no way they coud shave 45k off the price of a GT. thousands of people would be out of work due to the industry shutting down or moving off shore.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #15
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

ofcourse selfish, i buy a car for me and i use my own money and i have to balance that against my families interests, food, on the table, clothes on their back and roof over their heads.

did you think i was buying a ford for an intersection window cleaner?

hehehe.... hypothetically
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #16
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Interesting that you quote cheap figures for prestige cars that come from countries with a higher standard of living that us.

I'd really like to know why is that. Why can you buy a BMW in the USA cheaper then here? The extra cost can't be all down to ADR compliance as a great many of ours would be less stringent than other markets. The cars sold in the USA are still warranted.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Interesting that you quote cheap figures for prestige cars that come from countries with a higher standard of living that us.

I'd really like to know why is that. Why can you buy a BMW in the USA cheaper then here? The extra cost can't be all down to ADR compliance as a great many of ours would be less stringent than other markets. The cars sold in the USA are still warranted.
Well I would not say USA has a higher standard than us but they do have a LOT more people and a lot less "extra" taxing.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:20 AM   #18
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Well I would not say USA has a higher standard than us but they do have a LOT more people and a lot less "extra" taxing.
So your saying all that extra cost is taxes? Won't the taxes/duties still be applicable here. It's over $1K.

This is something that I just can't get my head around. Why the massive difference in price locally compared to OS. Can someone provide a breakdown of the costs?
Old 10-01-2011, 01:32 AM   #19
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Just to compare ......

BMW X5 xDrive 35i in the USA - Starting at $46,300 Plus on road

BMW X5 xDrive 35i Aust - Starting at $115,000 Plus on road

Same car ..... similar cost in transport and delivery (albeit cheaper in the states because of quantity but still ... ) Difference in price is predominately taxes which are in place to protect the small (in comparison) industry here.

Close the manufacturing industry here and the protection offered by the g'ment and you could have a hell of a Beemer for Falcon money ..... but you can tell Geelong and Elizabeth to close town.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 01:39 AM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i like haveing a motor industry in Australia, i like haveing our own car brands, commy falcon,etc,etc, and personally i`d rather have a bit of industry protection, not just cars other industry and farmers too, people want imports they can pay extra for them..........MIK for el president-ay
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #21
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I voted "Possibly but there would still have to be some restrictions for safety," basically I am all for it but there needs to be a line drawn in the sand in terms of safety.

I would rather we do not have cars like the Tata Nano which are suicide machines on wheels. We'd need at least a 4 star rating minimum.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #22
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Considering the level of taxes aimed at the automotive world, I'm rather scared of a government which heavily borrows money from China doing away with a source of tax revenue. It simply means they'll apply tax somewhere else which could be even more broad based and hurt alot more people who can least afford it.

Quote: