Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #1
josh1990
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 10w-30 in XR6 Turbo - hands up

Ok, so some background; I'm a uni student and I work casually in automotive retail. I'm a semi mature student, not wet behind the ears high school type you regularly see in these types of places. My pig of a father was head mechanic at Datsun/Nissan and was swinging spanners at a young age (changed a head and gasket on our ED wagon solo at 10 while the sack of **** sat on his fat **** and watched and barked orders).

Anyway, getting off topic here - short version, I'm not retarded.

So yesterday, I'm trying to explain to a customer why 20w-50 mineral wasn't suitable for his snotbox. He pointed to the edge and said what makes this oil able to be a 10w-60. I said synthetic technology da da da de da. If you want to understand oil, check out BITOG because I don't have the time to go in depth because I had to go fit a battery. But what car would use 10w-60 he goes? Well, in the Edge that's one of the recommended oils for an XR6 Turbo. Cue another customer walking past to say "I would never use that on my XR6 Turbo. It's the wrong oil. I run a 10w-30 in mine because that's the right oil, you don't know what you're on about."

At this point I told original customer there's the recommended oils, I've got to fit the battery now. ****ed me off to no end because Castrol website recommends edge 10w-60. My computer recommends 10w-60 edge. In Penrite, I would recommend HPR10 10w-50. So on and so on. Made me look like a ****ing idiot and I was fuming about it all day.

So my question to the people of Ford Forums - hands up who is running 10w-30 in a turbo and why? Is it the price?
Old 28-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: 10w-30 in XR6 Turbo - hands up

Ford states and recommends 15W - 40 in the FG XR6T.

I would never ever put a 30 weight oil in my car... Its definitely too thin!

Turbos can run hotter than NA's and it definitely needs the thicker oil, and especially if they are tuned.

I would put 0W-40, 5W-40, 10W or 15W -40 and have also gone higher using Penrite 5W - 50 and 10W - 50.

For a stock XR6T I feel a 60 weight is too thick, and only puts added pressure on the oil pump.

During cold Melbourne winters I use 0 or 5W - 40, and in summer will go 10W - 40.

Why anyone would go lower than what Ford recommends is beyond me.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm no expert but i would use the oil that is recommended in the book, if i'm driving hard or racing i'd go higher in the hot viscosity.
no point spending 3 times more on 10w-60 if you're driving to work or cruising.
if i was buying oil and the sales guy tried to upsell 10w-60 i'd probably tell him to jump and buy 10w-30 based on my driving style.
but i also don't even agree with the service intervals for fords, i go max 7500km, 15000km is way too long if you ask me especially in a turbo that has the oil cooling the turbo.

p.s. why is an atmo barra 10w-30 and an e-gas 15w-40? i would have thought they should be the same?
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
josh1990
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FWIW - I don't upsell oil. I go off the computer, give multiple options and offer up what I would run from that if asked. If it's tuned/built - run what the tuner tells you to. But my point is - no one should be running 10w-30 in it ffs.

Totally agree with 7500km oil changes, mine gets changed between 5-7.5k to ensure done well on time. With Edge 5w-30 or HPR5, mine is N/A obviously.
Old 28-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interestingly enough, one of the last times i read Bobs website, he had an example of running a thinner than reccomended oil being a benefit. From memory it related to having better cooling theiugh faster oild floe.

The problem with the Fords and why that wont apply though is because the oil also has to cool and lubricate the turbo, which can see temps several times higher than the crankcase.

My general advice for oil is pick whatever running temp viscosity is required and then get something with the lowest winter rating you can afford.
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since you work in retail it's kind of your job to be able to deal with rude and 'know-it-all' customers, you can't be getting all upset and teary eyed over it. If a customer wants 10w-30 or 20w-60 - give the advice your computer tells you to give, and if they argue just give them what they want.

If it's a Falcon, running the incorrect oil would be the difference between an engine which lasts 700,000km or one which lasts 800,000km.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #7
josh1990
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool, so I work in retail. What makes me any less of a person? Why is expected that I should have to put up with rude and disrespectful customers because I work in retail? What happened to common respect? How would you feel if I came into your workplace and treated you like scum and told you you had no ****ing clue what you're talking about?

I'm done giving advice, if it's not on the computer then it's not my problem. I'll become the useless zombie people expect to see.

Oh, I'm not "teary eyed" either, for the record.
Old 28-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #8
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

I would have pulled him aside and promptly shown him the owner manual, which states which oil to use.

As well as each of the oil websites, Shell, Penrite etc...they all contradict what the moron was saying.

I'd have loved to have put him in his place.
Old 29-08-2017, 04:58 PM   #9
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've worked in retail a long time. I put up with crap you like you every day and I'm becoming less tolerant that's for sure. However, give your advice as to what the recommended oils are. If someone chooses to go with something else then that's on them. If someone says you don't know what you're talking about then tell them Ford or Castrol must be clueless too. It's hard to not let it get to you.

In saying that, I run 10-60 in my tuned FG turbo as recommended by my tuner.

FG XR6T SILHOUETTE - 380rwkw
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #10
MattstaF6

Mate i have argued with people regarding this. I use Edge 10w-60 as what was recommended by my tuner. People say its too thick but most tuners would recommend a 50 or 60 weight. Give your advice and if they dont listen then let them get what they want. The way i see it, no ones oil pumps have failed due to running 50 or 60 weight oil and filtergram tests prove these thicknesses are better for tuned engines especially if you drive hard.
MattstaF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2017, 03:31 PM   #11
Sioso
irregular member

People will sooner change their religion than change their position on which oil is "correct".
Trying to get a consensus on which oil for which motor on this forum or any other forum is an exercise in futility.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #12
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
People will sooner change their religion than change their position on which oil is "correct".
Trying to get a consensus on which oil for which motor on this forum or any other forum is an exercise in futility.
But even the religion of cars have their own bible... It's called the car owner's manual.

Never understood why people don't follow the Gospel according to Ford when it comes to which oil to use on a stock car.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #13
MattstaF6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
But even the religion of cars have their own bible... It's called the car owner's manual.

Never understood why people don't follow the Gospel according to Ford when it comes to which oil to use on a stock car.
Just wondering what oil you use?
MattstaF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #14
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I don't understand why Ford don't read their own freaking gospel.
"Um Mr Ford can I please have the 5w20 oil you recommend in your gospel?"
"Nope, we don't stock it."

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #15
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

While I partially agree, I've basically never ran the owners manual specified oil grade in any of my cars out of warranty.

I believe manufacturers will use oil on the thinner side to reduce fuel consumption and squeeze a tad more power out of the engine, which is fine for the first 100k or any car you wish not to keep long term.

Manufacturer 'bibles' also have recommend wheel and tyre sizes, boost pressure, engine tunes, exhaust systems, suspension heights and shocks etc but they're not always followed nor are they always 'best'.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #16
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattstaF6 View Post
Just wondering what oil you use?
Currently running Mobil 1 ~ 0W - 40, but have used 5W - 40, 10W- 40, 15W - 40 (Castrol or Nulon) and sometimes Penrite 10W - 50.

Always full synthetic, changed on average every 5,550Kms for the last 103,000 Kms since new.

Last edited by GO FURTHER; 02-09-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM   #17
xyv866

Old post but..I'll tell you this.
For the last 150.000 km I have been using Castrol Edge 10/60, sometimes when Castrol 10/60 is not available from Supercheap, I pouring Penrite 10/50. (oil/filter change every 10 K).
Now engine has 252 K on the odometer and the engine runs like new. You can't hear the chain, valves or there is no problem with the oil pump. IMO for Turbo only 10/50 or 10/60 and min 10/40.
xyv866 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM   #18
HIPO
Al

Computer says no!
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post