Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Default Cheap UAW labor

I mentioned this in another topic so I thought I would find something and make a new thread about it.

I never expected this, but because of all the concessions the UAW has given Ford over the past 5 years, and also the weakening dollar against the Euro, Ford is moving production of the Kuga to the US for export to Europe. Here is just one article about it...

Quote:
Ford may build Kuga in US – potentially export to Europe
10/23/2009, 6:15 AMBy Mark Kleis

In what is most likely meant to be a very visible display of Ford’s intentions to deliver on their promises to the UAW over recent contract concessions, several sources close to Ford confirm a future for the Kuga in the US.

LeftLane reported in early March, 2009 that Ford could likely move Kuga production to US soil due to a weak dollar. Now, with the dollar hitting record lows several sources close to Ford, speaking with anonymity, have released that Ford is likely to produce the Kuga at the Louisville, Kentucky assembly plant beginning in 2011.

Previous reporting was based on the speculation that Ford may introduce the Kuga to the US market at all, with or without its current nameplate, and purely for North American consumption. Now sources close to Ford have announced that it will be capable of producing and exporting as many as 80,000 C-platform based vehicles (Such as the Kuga) to the European market each year from the Louisville, Kentucky Assembly plant.

This unique change is explained by Barclays Capital auto analyst Brian Johnson, “This makes sense because western Europe is not a particularly cheap place to make cars.” Brian goes on to explain that Ford’s net labor costs could be $10 an hour lower in the US than in Germany.

The potential shift of production location to the US due to the weakening dollar makes an even stronger business case for Ford to expand its “One Ford” business model and begin selling the Kuga platform, Kuga name or not, here in the US.

Nevermind the "may build..." part, it is going to happen.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Interesting news Steve. I gather they have capacity issues in the plant it is now assembled in, so moving to the largest SUV market and a single plant for the model makes sense to me. I wonder if the rhd cars could also come here?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I was waiting for an announcement like this. I reckon we are going to see a whole new batch of US cars coming to Australia. F trucks and Mustangs thanks.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
I was waiting for an announcement like this. I reckon we are going to see a whole new batch of US cars coming to Australia. F trucks and Mustangs thanks.
Well, with the US Ford plants now having equal best industry quality. This could be a good thing.

The Kuga has been selling to capacity and there has been no desire for FoE to build some for Australian consumption to our spec.

Lastly, nice to see that Ford have kept their promise to the UAW and brought production to the US in return for the concessions gained.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Well they build them for the pommies, surely now with production going to the US, we might get a look in with the Kuga?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Well they build them for the pommies, surely now with production going to the US, we might get a look in with the Kuga?
The KUGA really could do well for Ford Aus. That and the Tiguan are the class leaders if the press is to be believed.

Even if it's 500/mth, that is still an extra 0.6-0.7% market share. Some of which might come from Territory, but most would be conquests from Toyota/Subaru/Holden. Nice!

Retrotech thread
Old 08-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The RAV 4, Forrester and CR-V sell over 1000 a month sometimes. Its an important market Ford need a good competitor in because there are a lot of important sales that can be gained there.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Lastly, nice to see that Ford have kept their promise to the UAW and brought production to the US in return for the concessions gained.

It is about frigging time!

While we were agreeing to concessions the Fiesta went to Mexico, The Fusion, Milan, and MKZ went to Mexico, and most recently, the new 6.7L diesel that Ford just announced a couple weeks ago, will be built in Mexico.

In Mexico a Fusion is only about $800 USD cheaper than in the US, due to less destination charges. Otherwise, Mexicans making $2.50 - $5 USD an hour cannot afford to buy a $17,300 Fusion.

Hey, wait a minute!!!! In Mexico the wages are so much cheaper than in the US. Why doesn't a Fusion cost only $10,000? That's because labor is only 6 - 10% the price of the vehicle. For anyone that has ever doubted that, here's the perfect example.

US Ford worker = $28/hr.
Mexican Ford worker = $3/hr (avg,)

Car = same price as always.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 12-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Obviously cheaper labor increases the profit margin if the RRP isn't lowered compared to a vehicle built in a higher wage country.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #10
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
$800 USD cheaper than in the US
Times 5 million vehicles worldwide. $4B USD profit. Anyway.

When are you guys going to start building the Kuga for us. Not the US, but us Australians!

Retrotech thread
Old 13-12-2009, 02:55 AM   #11
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Does this mean the end of the escape though?
Old 14-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

phillyc - the price in Mexico is only $800 cheaper than the US price, not the cost to build the car. I'd expect that to be a greater difference.

irlewy86 - under the 'one Ford' theory I would say yes, but the one Ford policy does not apply to all US vehicles. They are so similar that surely the Escape would be replaced (note it is due for a new generation vehicle) especially if they can get a V6 in there for the US market. The Kuga is based on a Focus so that isn't guaranteed.
Old 16-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Times 5 million vehicles worldwide. $4B USD profit. Anyway.

When are you guys going to start building the Kuga for us. Not the US, but us Australians!

I have heard nothing of a RHD version of the Kuga. Doesn't mean it is impossible. I think it would be better to build in there. (Australia)

The Escape/Mariner will be built in a different plant than it is in now. The Kuga is slated for Louisville Assembly Plant. Presently the Escape is the small SUV, with the Kuga being introduced it could be moved to being the "middle sized", not in wheelbase, just in thought of the customers. With the largest SUV's being done away with and everything being scaled down I figure it will be viewed that way.

I am still waiting to see what the next gen Explorer looks like, in unibody construction.

The $800 I presumed is just the difference in the cost of delivering it to the dealer; Mexican dealers much closer to the factory.

I have wondered if the Kuga will be the "new" Escape. I'd have to look into wheelbase and room, etc. before being able to tell. I know people wanting an SUV-like vehicle that gets great fuel mileage would be a big hit, especially if it looks snazzy!

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 16-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #14
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Steve there is a RHD Kuga sold in the UK. I'd think there is a fair chance the Kuga will take over from the Escape in the future. The Escape must be getting towards the end of its platform life. I know there was a substantial facelift recently - or was that a proper new model?

The presence of the Escape hybrid model means it surely will have to continue until there is another or more hybrids to take over.

Looked up some dimensions that were comparable. Couldn't find interior dimensions for the Kuga, or luggage compartment dimensions for the Escape/s. Measurement of luggage capacity didn't seem to be directly comparable either.
[CODE]Exterior Escape (Aus) Escape (US) Kuga
Overall length 4480 176.4 4437 174.7 4443 174.9
Overall height 1760 69.3 1722 67.8 1710 67.3
Overall width 1845 72.6 1806 71.1 1842 72.5
Wheelbase 2620 103.1 2619 103.1 2690 105.9
Front track 1545 60.8 1542 60.7 1574 62.0
Rear track 1535 60.4 1529 60.2 1584 62.4

Kerb weight 1578 3479 1623 3578 1613 3556
Gross VM 1986 4378 1950 4300 2130 4696

Max tow(braked) 1000 2205 1588 3500 2100 4630

Fuel tank 61 16 62 16.5 66 17
Turning Circle 10.8 35.4 11.5 37.7
[/CODE]Left column for each vehicle is metric dimensions, right is US imperial
Old 17-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Wow, check that out, the Kuga is actually a touch larger than the Escape.

The last revision of the Escape was a major facelift only.

I didn't make myself clear in my last statement. What I should have said is that I have not heard of any plans for building a RHD Kuga in the US.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 17-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #16
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Ok - will have to be one of those wait and see things. Tough call, do you transfer all lhd & rhd production to the one plant or leave the small volume of rhd where it is.

Basically the same size outside, a touch shorter and lower and the same width (unless the new US Escape is actually narrower in the body with the same tire track width dimension - I don't trust the 71.1" dimension).

While I said the luggage volume figures were not directly comparable, the 2nd-row-folded figure for the Kuga was a lot smaller than the Escape. Factor in a 'racier' shape, thicker doors/pillars etc for crash purposes and airbags and it is not hard to believe. The 2nd-row-up in the Kuga was only to the cargo cover height and half the volume of the Escape's to the roof figure.