Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
BroadyFord

Default April vehicle sales

Australian new-car sales take a hit in April

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2011...in-april-24684

The aftershocks of the Japanese earthquakes can now be felt in Australia -- not because new-vehicle stock is low but because dealers are not discounting as heavily.

That's the analysis of a well-placed insider after preliminary figures for April showed car sales dropped by about 10 per cent last month despite strong consumer confidence.

April is always the toughest month on the car sales calendar -- it has the fewest selling days because of Easter and Anzac long weekends -- but some brands did it tougher than others in 2011.

April figures are expected to show that Toyota -- market leader for the past eight years in a row and 14 of the past 20 years -- was down 17 per cent compared with the same month the previous year, posting a little over 14,000 sales.

All Toyota factories around the world have cut production by at least half -- and the Thailand factory that makes Hilux utes has been slowed to just 30 per cent of its capacity.

But most dealers for most brands in Australia still had sufficient stock of most cars in April.

"It wasn't so much vehicle supply that was the problem, because there was plenty of stock on the ground, but dealers were not discounting as aggressively because they know supply will be tight in the months ahead," said the well-placed industry insider. "They're rationing what stock they have."

Toyota still holds a commanding lead in the overall sales race -- it is at least 20,000 sales clear of Holden and has sold more than twice as many cars as Ford so far this year.

Holden held up slightly stronger than the overall market, down eight per cent having posted more than 9000 sales.

But Ford had a particularly difficult month. After tracking well in the first three months of the year -- up by 3.4 per cent -- sales dropped by 20 per cent compared with the same month the previous year.

Falcon sales were down by 50 per cent in April -- with fewer than 1500 recorded.

Ford's tough run allowed Korean car maker Hyundai to make it into the top three for only the second time on record -- and almost saw it overtaken by Mazda (as it was in January).

With 6800 sales, an increase of two per cent, Hyundai was the third best selling brand in April -- ahead of Ford (6400) and Mazda (6300).

It was only the second time Hyundai had overtaken Ford and claimed a top-three position: the first time was in February 2010 when Hyundai posted 7208 sales compared to Ford's 7148 and Mazda's 7003.

Hyundai also came within three sales of defeating Ford in January 2011 -- Ford's tally was 6413 and Hyundai's was 6410.

The Mazda3 (pictured) is still Australia's best selling car so far this year but the Holden Commodore claimed top spot for the second month in a row.

The Commodore's April tally of 3090 sales was just 40 more than the Mazda3, according to preliminary figures, but the Mazda3 still leads year-to-date by about 450 sales.

The Toyota Hilux is believed to have been the third best selling vehicle in April, posting just shy of 3000 sales, but is expected to be hit by supply restrictions in the coming months.

BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Default Re: April vehicle sales

Sales bad all round there. Even Commodore barely sold over 3000.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Ugh. I would like to see a full breakdown of Ford's model sales before passing judgement...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An imported Ford will surely be Ford's best seller soon, which is really sad.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Falcman0o7
Banned

It just doesn't seem to get any better does it. Poor falcon...
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
It just doesn't seem to get any better does it. Poor falcon...
No...not poor Falcon! If they were put together properly and didn't have stupid design flaws then they wouldn't have a bad reputation and would be selling better!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
No...not poor Falcon! If they were put together properly and didn't have stupid design flaws then they wouldn't have a bad reputation and would be selling better!
Do you own a FG Falcon?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Do you own a FG Falcon?
I have driven an FG and they are fantastic inside and out, an absolute dream of a car. But car sales are obviously not dependent on how the car drives... if they were then why is Falcon not selling? It's because in the last 20 years the Falcon name has turned to garbage. The B-series weren't exactly a masterpiece in technology, build quality or reliability. If a nameplate or brand has a bad reputation, people won't even step into the showroom.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look at it this way. If the Falcon has gone from last months 1700 to this months 1500, then it has only dropped 12%. If the commodore has gone from last months 4100 to this months 3090, it has dropped 25%. Its all about market share, and obviously Falcon increased its share of the large car segment last month.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Look at it this way. If the Falcon has gone from last months 1700 to this months 1500, then it has only dropped 12%. If the commodore has gone from last months 4100 to this months 3090, it has dropped 25%. Its all about market share, and obviously Falcon increased its share of the large car segment last month.

Marketshare means nothing, its about how many you pump out the door.

The large car market could be 3 cars a year, if I had 100% of that market, I would be bankrupt in 12 minutes.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

And if it had 5000 cars a day making no money, they'd still be bankrupt.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Here you say they have stupid design flaws...

Quote:
I have driven an FG and they are fantastic inside and out, an absolute dream of a car. But car sales are obviously not dependent on how the car drives... if they were then why is Falcon not selling? It's because in the last 20 years the Falcon name has turned to garbage. The B-series weren't exactly a masterpiece in technology, build quality or reliability. If a nameplate or brand has a bad reputation, people won't even step into the showroom.
Here you say they're fantastic...

Which one is it really?

If sales aren't dependent on how a car drives, then we have more than a small percentage of complete idiots gracing our fine country.

Explain Hyundai...those cars were always pieces of snot...up until the i30, where they somehow became popular...the only benefit they had was being cheap and nasty...so what has a bad reputation got to do with anything?

Renowned for being 'p' platers cars, usually women, or men who riced them up...anyone who knew anything about cars never went near a Hyundai. Now even those who know something about cars are.

You don't have to go back 20 years even. In the last 5 years most brands have turned into garbage...I don't know why you need to slam Ford anymore than all the other sales, which have ALL dropped.

Then again, it seems of late every one of Ford's supporters is definitely their biggest critic...

I read the post about the new Cruze SRiV...I went looking for it - you know what page comes up first when I typed in 'Cruze SRiV vs. Ford Focus...

THIS!!!

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11329814

So out of curiosity...I look up April vehicle sales for ford...and what do you know, first page - second link...and here I am.

Seriously, you might want to reconsider bagging at EVERY opportunity because anyone doing any kind of comparison, is going to come across this site...

Quote from the article...probably more important than the others that have been highlighted..

Quote:
"It wasn't so much vehicle supply that was the problem, because there was plenty of stock on the ground, but dealers were not discounting as aggressively because they know supply will be tight in the months ahead," said the well-placed industry insider. "They're rationing what stock they have."
and furthermore...

Quote:
April is always the toughest month on the car sales calendar -- it has the fewest selling days because of Easter and Anzac long weekends

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Marketshare means nothing, its about how many you pump out the door.

The large car market could be 3 cars a year, if I had 100% of that market, I would be bankrupt in 12 minutes.
Darwins theory of evolution solves this issue. Simply, if you are dumb enough to build a car plant which will make 3 cars a year, then you wont be smart enough to make the money to enable you to build the car plant. Pretty much the same principle goes for if you maintain a car plant (that has already been built), to make 3 cars a year.

Plus Part iv of the Bankruptcy Act 1996 - Proceedings in cennexion with bankruptcy, stipulate certain procedural matters which in the normal scheme of things take many months to work through, thus in theory it should take more than 12 minutes to make you bankrupt.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I'd like to know what Ford's projections on Falcon sales are for the rest of the year and while it's
easy to be upbeat and say just wait unto EcoLPI comes and FG II comes how much difference
will those cars really make, particularly if Ford's fleet buyers have already moved onto other vehicles....

Not trying to be negative here, just wondering if Ford is now prepared to consider all
options or are they still prepared to tough out 2011 and stick to their long term plans...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Rubbish !!!

coming from a bloke who drives an EL no less. If theyre so bad why do you drive one ?
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I got 2 FG's ones a **** box that Ford refuses to give me a decent outcome with in regards to fixing it, the other ones okay but I can see the issues come more apparent with kms.

They certainly need to do some work on bulid quality and building cars that last.

Will I buy another one, depends if they fix the one Ive got, but probably not, unless i get sucked in again.

And before anyone flames me im up to 80 faults now, some reoccuring. E.g. mirror temp sensor requiring 4 new passenger mirrors!!

My cars not a one off, you only have to go and look at the "what problems have you had with your FG" thread!

Not bad huh!

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 03-05-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #17
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
Rubbish !!!

coming from a bloke who drives an EL no less. If theyre so bad why do you drive one ?
So the useless sh-sh-sh handbrakes, warping rotors, crap ball joints on the Terri, the IRS that scrubs out bushes, water contamination into the gearbox due to crap trans cooler lines, 'shockwave' paint peeling off in huge flakes, all of these problems present in the last generation of local Fords didn't put off potential buyers?

Oh and what does the EL have to do with anything? It's turned out to be a crap box as well.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #18
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Quite interesting that you bring up build quality. As today someone at work was asking me about my G6ET and what the build quality was like.As on the weekend he had been to look at G6 50th Anniversary (he currently owns a Aurion Sportivo ZR6) The thing that struck him was that when the salesman opened the bonnet all the engine block was rusty and even the bellhousing.

He said that he understands that it doesn't affect the way the cars drives at all but just doesn't give a good look to how the car is built.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #19
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So the useless sh-sh-sh handbrakes, warping rotors, crap ball joints on the Terri, the IRS that scrubs out bushes, water contamination into the gearbox due to crap trans cooler lines, 'shockwave' paint peeling off in huge flakes, all of these problems present in the last generation of local Fords didn't put off potential buyers?

Oh and what does the EL have to do with anything? It's turned out to be a crap box as well.
Fair point there I reckon! My next car wont be a falcon either, sadly!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #20
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

No LPG. No 4 Cyl. No Diesel. It's been years and years now since the announcements were made. Ford Oz make turtles look quick. All they make here are vehicles with high fuel consumption at a time when Fuel is now pretty damn expensive again.

Do Commodore sales usually include LWB sedans and Wagons? Or is that separate again?

My point is, what's the total Commodore SWB+Wagon+LWB sales like compared to Falcon+Territory?

Lukeyson
Old 03-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #21
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Large cars aren't as important as they once were. We say the same thing every month. Most have converted to SUVs. Even Australia's golden child the Commodore is being beaten by the Mazda 3 for overall sales. Its time to face reality that Falcon will never reach great heights again. Once gas comes in I think 2000 a month will be about it.

Its time for Ford to concentrate on Focus, Mondeo, Fiesta and the SUVs.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #22
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
No LPG. No 4 Cyl. No Diesel. It's been years and years now since the announcements were made. Ford Oz make turtles look quick. All they make here are vehicles with high fuel consumption at a time when Fuel is now pretty damn expensive again.

Do Commodore sales usually include LWB sedans and Wagons? Or is that separate again?

My point is, what's the total Commodore SWB+Wagon+LWB sales like compared to Falcon+Territory?

Lukeyson
LWB is separate. Commodore sales include the wagon (as did Falcon sales).
Old 03-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #23
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Commodores aren't much better yet they are selling 3000+ units a month. Look at the Falcon numbers and consider that there is no wagon (~400 units/month) and no LPG models (significant percentage of sales). Then consider that Ford's marketing department have done a terrible job at marketing the car - this particular point was also echoed by the head honchos in America. Once Ford release the 4 cylinder version I'm sure sales will pick up. When you think about it, Holden wouldn't be too far ahead of Ford's numbers if they didn't have the Sportwagon or a V8 option. In fact without the Sportwagon, Commodore numbers would be in big trouble.

Also as far as the numbers go, I believe Ford sold more 6 cylinder Falcon sedans than Holden sold 6 cylinder Commodore sedans in 2010- so it's largely the lack of V8, lack of LPG and lack of wagon that's hurting them.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Also as far as the numbers go, I believe Ford sold more 6 cylinder Falcon sedans than Holden sold 6 cylinder Commodore sedans in 2010- so it's largely the lack of V8, lack of LPG and lack of wagon that's hurting them.
No, what's really hurting Ford is a lack of buyers.
They have a gazillion XR6s up the cazoo for $34,990 and still, hardly anyone wants them....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #25
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Large cars aren't as important as they once were. We say the same thing every month. Most have converted to SUVs. Even Australia's golden child the Commodore is being beaten by the Mazda 3 for overall sales. Its time to face reality that Falcon will never reach great heights again. Once gas comes in I think 2000 a month will be about it.

Its time for Ford to concentrate on Focus, Mondeo, Fiesta and the SUVs.
I post similar to that and get flamed. But your right IMO, times they are a changing unfortunately, and if you dont move with them.....
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #26
fordv8!

yeah it's a damn shame but the reality is the general public think of a falcon as unreliable, petrol guzzler etc...... i see as many commodores "pulled over" as falcons but holden's where known to be junk aswell how come the mud "sticks" when its a ford? how have holden overcome this?

i have been in plenty of VE and i cant see how its better than a FG its simply not.

imagine if falcon's body hadn't changed in 5 yrs the press would be bagging it out so much but not good old holden i think a lot of the bad feelings towards falcon come from the press and their bias towards gmh but thats just my opinion
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #27
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordv8!
yeah it's a damn shame but the reality is the general public think of a falcon as unreliable, petrol guzzler etc...... i see as many commodores "pulled over" as falcons but holden's where known to be junk aswell how come the mud "sticks" when its a ford? how have holden overcome this?

i have been in plenty of VE and i cant see how its better than a FG its simply not.

imagine if falcon's body hadn't changed in 5 yrs the press would be bagging it out so much but not good old holden i think a lot of the bad feelings towards falcon come from the press and their bias towards gmh but thats just my opinion
The difference is the VE offers a car for different types..

E.g. Sports wagon, Calais V8, povo pack SS 6 litre... Plus Holden has a bigger following, so many people hate FORD!!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #28
Falcman0o7
Banned

Far out...I just read all this thread. Is the falcon really that bad? I have found them to be great, But i have never owned BA onwards...

Is falcon doomed :(
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #29
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Would be good if people didn't assume the FG Falcons were still the same as they were a couple of years ago. Ford are well aware of the problems on the earlier cars and there have been significant improvements made since then.

Looks like many enjoy bagging the FG, some owners of earlier ones may have a valid reason but others seem to like getting on the bandwagon without really actually knowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
As today someone at work was asking me about my G6ET and what the build quality was like.As on the weekend he had been to look at G6 50th Anniversary (he currently owns a Aurion Sportivo ZR6) The thing that struck him was that when the salesman opened the bonnet all the engine block was rusty and even the bellhousing.
I say he was exagerating quite a bit. You cannot see the passenger side of the block at all, the drivers side only a little can be seen under the exhaust heat shields, and he must have used a torch, or the sun must have been at the right angle. And as far as the bellhousing is concerned, that is aluminium and cannot rust.

Had a look at my block the other day, strangely its not rusting yet and its over 6 months old and 10,000km now, driven in rain etc.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #30
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
No, what's really hurting Ford is a lack of buyers.
They have a gazillion XR6s up the cazoo for $34,990 and still, hardly anyone wants them....
Because people want them with 18" alloys and premium sound which gets you the 7" colour screen. Ford build stock standard ones. Great cars, but don't have that bit of techy / bling that people want. Just lunacy.

FG Falcon is a superior car to VE Commodore in so many ways but Ford just aren't selling them in an advertising and literal sense.

FG launched in 2008 right at the previous spike of oil / petrol and by the time FG started to get sales momentum, despite the pathetic fingers adverts, the GFC hit. It has been bad timing, poor marketing and slow updates.

Thankfully FG2 is only a few months away and EcoLPi is even closer.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post