Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Queensland to consider.02 blood alcohol limit

QUEENSLAND will consider a new blood alcohol limit for motorists as low as .02 in a bid to cut the state's horrific road toll.

A Drink Driving in Queensland discussion paper, to be released today, looks at the possibility of lowering the general alcohol limit from .05.

Norway and Sweden have the lowest road toll rates in the world and both have a blood alcohol limit of .02.

The Scandinavian countries have four road deaths per 100,000 population – Queensland has eight. Premier Anna Bligh and Transport Minister Rachel Nolan will ask Queenslanders to comment on the lower blood alcohol limit and other tough drink-drive measures.

"The paper canvasses dropping the blood alcohol limit lower than .05," Ms Bligh said.

Captain Bligh.." you said "speed was the cause of the horrific road toll, now its alcohol, whats next, V8's ?"

Old 14-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Another quick bandaid fix
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Need to get money somehow once ports and rail bring in no revenue for the government.

Adolf Bligh has probably worked out how many people get caught for .05 and there are far more that are between .05 and .02 and she has seen the money signs.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont see a problem with it. Atleast people will know for sure that they cant drive if its only going to take one drink to put them over.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Dont see a problem with it. Atleast people will know for sure that they cant drive if its only going to take one drink to put them over.
Valid point but they arent in it to stop people dying in a crash, they are in it for the extra revenue involved. As per every other 'cash grab'

Edit- I DO NOT RECOMMEND DRINK DRIVING (FOR THE NIT PICKERS)
- Antz Turboside Intake

Last edited by DJM83; 14-03-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 14-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Yep, a few less clowns on the road.................can't see a problem either.
Old 14-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

I think it can only be a good thing. I have no sympathy for anyone that wants to have even one drink and then hop behind the wheel of a car. And if people think its ok to have just one drink of wine at lunch time, then drive somewhere, does that mean its ok to have one line of coke, one joint, or shoot up just one hit of heroin before you drive as well?
Old 14-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I don't have a problem with this, what i can't understand is the prolonged slide to zero alcohol, just make it zero and be done with it....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

What's the point beyond revenue raising? You couldn't even have 1 drink to put you over the limit so if you were going to go to .02 you might as well make it 0.0 and be done with it. It still won't stop the dropkicks who would walk out of the pub/club/party and hop in their car cos they are taking no notice of the DD laws anyway no matter what the limit might be.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
The Monty
Just slidin'

Wouldnt this basically mean 0 bac anyway? As even one drink will put you over. Its jsut a nice way of sugar coating it. People will think, oh, I have a little bit to play with, Ill just have one, and then end up with a fine anyway.
Old 14-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Wouldnt this basically mean 0 bac anyway? As even one drink will put you over. Its jsut a nice way of sugar coating it. People will think, oh, I have a little bit to play with, Ill just have one, and then end up with a fine anyway.
Exactly right Joshand thats what will happen people will still think they can have 1 drink then drive and then when they get caught cop a fine. Its a nice little 'loophole' for the govt to make money as 0.2 BAC means 0 BAC
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 14-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No probs here either.

However, if .05 isn't stopping people, .02, won't make any difference to those who reguarly drive drunk.

A zero limit is foolish. Cough medicines, cherry ripes and some ice creams (Bubbl-o-bills I think), will even give a reading.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
InTrail

Surely if there is an actual safety reason behind this push for a lower BAC then accidents involving drivers between 0.02 and 0.05 must be reasonably frequent.

I know up here in FNQ there was talk of lowering the BAC limit after a string of alcohol related fatalities, but all the involved drivers were well above the current limit.
If someone's going to drive after drinking enough to be double (or more) the current limit, will lowering that limit actually have an effect on such menaces??
Old 14-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Exactly right Joshand thats what will happen people will still think they can have 1 drink then drive and then when they get caught cop a fine. Its a nice little 'loophole' for the govt to make money as 0.2 BAC means 0 BAC
Why is it so hard not to drink before you drive? It's common practise for mining workplaces insisting on a worker blowing triple 0's before starting work, why is it so hard to insist on triple 0's, or less than 0.02 BAC before driving a car?

Australia has a booze and alcoholism culture, about time someone attempted to tackle one aspect of it by making other road users safer.
Old 14-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

vic are looking at it as well

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #16
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
QUEENSLAND will consider a new blood alcohol limit for motorists as low as .02 in a bid to cut the state's horrific road toll.

A Drink Driving in Queensland discussion paper, to be released today, looks at the possibility of lowering the general alcohol limit from .05.

Norway and Sweden have the lowest road toll rates in the world and both have a blood alcohol limit of .02.

The Scandinavian countries have four road deaths per 100,000 population – Queensland has eight. Premier Anna Bligh and Transport Minister Rachel Nolan will ask Queenslanders to comment on the lower blood alcohol limit and other tough drink-drive measures.

"The paper canvasses dropping the blood alcohol limit lower than .05," Ms Bligh said.

Captain Bligh.." you said "speed was the cause of the horrific road toll, now its alcohol, whats next, V8's ?"
Anther patently stupid rush patch by a government on the verge of being disenfranchised , the countries quoted don't have to distance problems we do here in Au they have a public transport system far more viable and a road system several generations ahead in development . Perhaps a sensible decision would be to actually study and find a workable solution in this driving environ instead of importing a nonstarter ?
Oh wait that would lead to intelligent government ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #17
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Falcon

Australia has a booze and alcoholism culture, about time someone attempted to tackle one aspect of it by making other road users safer.
What a crock of do-gooder rubbish!

Next you will moaning about the terrible V8, speeding, petrol guzzling, pot smoking, 4wd environmental vandaling, heterosexual culture that is so obvious in Australia...... outrageous indeed!

Bring in zero BAC and make all road speed limits 40 km/h!

Would that make you happy?
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #18
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
agreed, drink driving shouldn't be acceptable under any circumstances

also, does alcohol taste that good that you want to drink it without getting ****ed? ive never tasted an alcoholic drink that tasted better than orange juice, chocolate milk or even a cold water
Old 14-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #19
ToCo
Drives a Ute!

Quote:
I think it can only be a good thing. I have no sympathy for anyone that wants to have even one drink and then hop behind the wheel of a car. And if people think its ok to have just one drink of wine at lunch time, then drive somewhere, does that mean its ok to have one line of coke, one joint, or shoot up just one hit of heroin before you drive as well?

So are you saying that you are just as coherent if you have 1 drink to compared to a hit of heroin? Come on.... Bit of a ridiculous comparison.
Old 14-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #20
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATXR8
What a crock of do-gooder rubbish!

Next you will moaning about the terrible V8, speeding, petrol guzzling, pot smoking, 4wd environmental vandaling, heterosexual culture that is so obvious in Australia...... outrageous indeed!

Bring in zero BAC and make all road speed limits 40 km/h!

Would that make you happy?
Rubbish. I drive a gas guzzling Super Pursuit ute, own a 4wd to go bush bashing and drive 130-160km/h on open roads. You couldn't have been more wrong matey.

I wouldn't fly with a pilot who had any BAC reading, why should I share the road with others who read any BAC. Most people are incompetent and struggle at the best of times, allowing a BAC just makes stupid behind the wheel even more stupid.

And yes, Australia does have a booze, binge drinking and alcoholism culture.

Last edited by Romulus; 14-03-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The limit was dropped from 0.08 to 0.05 on the grounds of impairment,
people at 0.05 do not perceive any impairment that's actually happening.

I doubt the argument for fines/suspension for exceeding 0.02 holds up to scientific scrutiny,
it seems more of a officious legislative way to enforce a no drink/drive policy.
The recalcitrant ones will continue to drink and drive, I say bring back target testing...

Or, just put alcotest/ignition lock software in cars,
provide a breath specimen or the car doesn't start.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #22
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

This seems to me a punishment of those who do the right thing.
As mentioned above the alcoholics will keep drink driving, nothing will stop them.
But the average worker who may have a beer or two with mates before coming home cops the fallout.

Just like the alcopop tax, this penalizes the majority who do the right thing, we all know it's just another cash grab.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #23
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Or, just put alcotest/ignition lock software in cars,
provide a breath specimen or the car doesn't start.
Too easy to bypass.
Get someone else to provide the specimen, or use some compressed air.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #24
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is just another income stream for the fine/tax mad Bligh. This government must be in a bigger financial mess than we think.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #25
.OZZY.
[OZY 40T]

As a P plater and having 0 BAC, I dont see a problem with this realy.

If you know your going to have to drive and will be over the limit with just one drink, then dont drink! simple. Or find someone to be deso driver.
.OZZY. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #26
The Monty
Just slidin'

I cant believe the amount of people on here who think its fine to drink and drive. You guys are just as bad as the alcoholics who flout the law, I am seriously blown out by some of these comments.
Old 14-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #27
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
I cant believe the amount of people on here who think its fine to drink and drive. You guys are just as bad as the alcoholics who flout the law, I am seriously blown out by some of these comments.

Under 0.05 is legal last time I looked. I find your comment offensive being compared to an alcoholic.
I'm "blown out" by your comment.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 01:49 PM   #28
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What still buggers me relentless, is that these laws turn the the screws on the law abiding majority, whilst ignoring the fact that the people these laws are actually aimed at ie; potential drink drivers, and more importantly repeat offenders, really couldn't care less.

I guess the criminal science behind every other crime perpetrated in our society just doesn't apply to speeding and drink/drug driving offences. Not in Australia...... :
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #29
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Your post is very offensive! Don't drink and don't agree with this ...... As stated .... Laws to attack those doing the right thing while will have no effect to the twits who will STILL blow over .1-.2 etc.

Could those with their hands up saying whoo hoo to this let me know the statistics of crashes/deaths caused by those with a level below .05? Obviously the QLD g'ment has it handy?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suspect this is a red herring designed to take media focus off all the other problems going on up here.

0.02 will NEVER work as there are situations where medicines and some foods will increased the level of alcohol in the bloodstream of even the most ardent teetotaler.

It is amazing some of the selfish and naive posts that have been made lately on this forum.

If YOU don't drink then why do you think you have the right to tell others how to live their lives.
The anti-smoking, anti-drinking, (anti-gun), anti-whatever brigades seem to think that they are evangelists and their personal beliefs are the way the truth and the life.

Unfortunately for every anti-whatever group of which YOU are a proponent there is another anti-car loony out there whose mission in life is to prevent US from owning or driving performance cars.

While THEY do not have the right to tell us what to do YOU do not either.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post