Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: So how much extra will you pay for your FHC?
< $3,000 10 15.38%
$3,000 to $5,000 11 16.92%
$5,000 to $10,000 9 13.85%
$10,000 to $20,000 2 3.08%
Whatever it costs (within the realms of sanity) 16 24.62%
Not interested, Ford/FPV range is broad enough 17 26.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Falcon haute couture (hypothetical)

Ford have finally listened to the AFF and created a new division, Falcon Huate Couture (FHC) specificly to address the needs of those who just can't find the right combination of Falcon options.

FHC will take a basic sedan or ute (wagons are now dead) and fit any combination of Falcon/G6/FPV components to build you your dream car.
Any colour, wheel/brake combination, interior etc. will be available with the proviso that it must be safe and technically possible e.g. 16" steel rims and brembos can't be done.

The only badge will be FHC as GT/F6 etc belong to FPV and XR/g6 etc belong to Ford so you can't make a GT ute et. al.

Of course there is a huge overhead as it has to be hand built so how much more is a fair thing?

Based on a VERY conservative estimate of $200/hr internal costs the extra cost of this car would be $4000 if it took 20 man hours, $10,000 if it took 50 man hours etc.
This is on top of the actual costs of the components so a V8 G6ET like vehicle (G8ESC) or (GT-E without brembos) might actually cost more than a GT-E.

So:

Are you interested and how much extra would you pay for the privilege of owning a unique (until someone copies it) Australian car?

And no it will NEVER be cheaper......

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Chopped
as in chopped

Default Re: Falcon haute couture (hypothetical)

I had to google "Huate Couture" !!! (it wasn't in the Bogan dictionary)
Old 22-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I had to google "Huate Couture" !!! (it wasn't in the Bogan dictionary)
+1, and I want my 5 minutes back, Flappist polls are getting worse
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

It's a bit hard to pick a number because what I'd like as options may be completely different to someone else and obviously a different cost.

I'd just be happy if FPV allowed options from their current parts bin across all their models (GT-P style seats in any other model, brakes, trim, strip delete options, etc)

I optioned up my FG F6 but would have also liked the option for the GT-P seats (minues the badge), auto dimming mirror, piano black trim, deleted raccon eyes, and would have happily paid for it (within the realms of sanity).

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

So customers can now option G6ET with an LSD..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Something along the lines or HBD by the sounds of it (Holden by Design)
Old 22-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Are these threads genuine concerns for you Flappist or are you just puttting up threads that make themselves in your previous threads?
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went low, All I am interested in is "simple" changes that ford do not support.
For example put a V8 in my Fairmont Ghia.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS
+1, and I want my 5 minutes back, Flappist polls are getting worse
Yeh I can't imagine a person who drives:

BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV Steering Wheel, GT ICC, Tripod Gauges

having any interest in custom designed factory warranted vehicles.

Haute couture is French and is a term normally used in fashion or design to describe specially designed one-off items created for a specific person or event.
Old 22-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have always wanted car manufacturers to be like this.
I would pay, within reason to have my car exactly the way I wanted it.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would love an XR8 with a blown 5.0 in it..........
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Haute couture is French and is a term normally used in fashion or design to describe specially designed one-off items created for a specific person or event.
Not according to Wikipedia

Haute couture (French for "high sewing" or "high dressmaking"; pronounced: [ot kutyʁ], English pronunciation: /ˌoʊt kuːˈtʊər/) refers to the creation of exclusive custom-fitted clothing. Haute couture is made to order for a specific customer, and it is usually made from high-quality, expensive fabric and sewn with extreme attention to detail and finished by the most experienced and capable seamstresses, often using time-consuming, hand-executed techniques. Couture is a common abbreviation of haute couture and refers to the same thing in spirit.[1]

It originally referred to Englishman Charles Frederick Worth's work, produced in Paris in the mid-nineteenth century.[2] In modern France, haute couture is a "protected name" that can be used only by firms that meet certain well-defined standards. However, the term is also used loosely to describe all high-fashion custom-fitted clothing, whether it is produced in Paris or in other fashion capitals such as Milan, London, New York and Tokyo.

Looks like clothing only, not a one of factory car
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:

Haute couture (French for "high sewing" or "high dressmaking"; pronounced: [ot kutyʁ], English pronunciation: /ˌoʊt kuːˈtʊər/) refers to the creation of exclusive custom-fitted clothing. Haute couture is made to order for a specific customer, and it is usually made from high-quality, expensive fabric and sewn with extreme attention to detail and finished by the most experienced and capable seamstresses, often using time-consuming, hand-executed techniques. Couture is a common abbreviation of haute couture and refers to the same thing in spirit.[1]

It originally referred to Englishman Charles Frederick Worth's work, produced in Paris in the mid-nineteenth century.[2] In modern France, haute couture is a "protected name" that can be used only by firms that meet certain well-defined standards. However, the term is also used loosely to describe all high-fashion custom-fitted clothing, whether it is produced in Paris or in other fashion capitals such as Milan, London, New York and Tokyo.

Either way, you get the point..... or don't you?
Old 22-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

In France, Champagne, Burgundy etc are also "protected names".

Falcon is a bird not a car, Fairlane is a house not a car, Typhoon and Tornado are weather types not cars, Commodore is a military rank etc. etc.

You seem to be spending more than 5 minutes on this......
Old 22-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #15
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Something along the lines or HBD by the sounds of it (Holden by Design)
bingo, keep up with the "old" times flappy.

ps: within sanity.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
Are these threads genuine concerns for you Flappist or are you just puttting up threads that make themselves in your previous threads?
This is always somewhat amusing to me.

I start these threads as a focal points for discussion on various subjects and concepts that pop up on the forum.

More often than not the actual subject is ignored by some who would rather nit pick over the choice of title or some other insignificant factor than get involved in the actual discussion.

This is augmented by those who complain that they waste time reading it yet spend even more time writing that complaint and then supporting others who complain and defending the complaint.

FHC will probably never happen as if this cross section is an example too many are more interested in the name of the company than what it could offer.......
Old 22-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
stang65
FPRJET

Flappist don`t you understand these forums are designed for you to express yourself or to contribute too. ( toungue in cheek.:-))
Old 22-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #18
Chopped
as in chopped

If anyone is confused, I think Flappist means something like this >

(yes slow day for me!)
Old 22-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

(yes slow day for me!)
Old 22-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #20
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Seriously though, can't you just get any option from another trim level ordered and installed by a dealer if you want it?

Last edited by Auslandau; 22-06-2011 at 08:06 PM. Reason: I would rather ... "Why bother entering the discussion?"
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Seriously though, can't you just get any option from another trim level ordered and installed by a dealer if you want it?
Unfortunately no.
Old 22-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #22
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
i would love an XR8 with a blown 5.0 in it..........

Spot on PB add some 19's, big brakes, leather trim, maybe a quad exhaust and it would be perfect....

Could they add cobra stripes too?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Spot on PB add some 19's, big brakes, leather trim, maybe a quad exhaust and it would be perfect....

Could they add cobra stripes too?
a rubber snake on the side???.. hell yer why not.... just dont put GS stripes on it...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i voted not interested , i look at the FPV site and see plenty of cars there i would be more than happy to have as they are if finances allowed.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #25
stang65
FPRJET

I`m thinking thats a real picture of Flappist... Would explain the mood swings.
Old 22-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #26
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I dont think Ford needs to add such customization, but FPV... hell yes.

Im still not convinced that the argument that having options kills resale..I mean how much worse can it really get anyway? Any level of devaluation hurts, I would have thought the possibility of being able to spec your own FPV would enhance the experience immensity.

I think thats one of the charms of the older GT's (and Fords in general), is that the trim and spec level can be so broad and interesting.

With this strategy you could get rid of GS and GTP for example. Have just GT/F6 and GTE/F6E.

That way people could spec there trim type and say stitching, want a spoiler on your GT, fine, dont..thats cool its one less thing to put on.

If someone wants a GTE in a manual then done, maybe someone wants a GTE with a GT spoiler, that to should be ok. Maybe a GT owner wants his "racoon eyes" colour...no problem.

These cars are not mass produced like FPV wants us to believe. Yes they go down the line and are probably order/restricted by what colour is being painted at the time. But thats hardly an issue.

All the bits that matter to a FPV client are done across the road, so I dont see the fuss in adding or taking out stuff. The customer will be more acceptable of any waits because its quite literally their car, not one a dealer ordered and thought they could sell quickly (although you need these too, but thats the dealers choice).

I cant see how that would great add cost the the car, it still goes down the line and across the road as usual. I think FPV could do with some kind of strategic difference to aid sales. If people want stuff removed then fine, but it doesnt change the cost..I think people could accept that.

I mean most people who want to customise the look of their FPV do it anyway in the aftermarket, why not try and capture that inhouse?

Ford on the other hand are produced in bigger numbers, and this wouldnt work for them.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #27
Rodge
Banned

Quote:

(yes slow day for me!)
Can I get a supercharged version of that, and do they take trade-in's of your existing "ride"

I agree 100% Poyal, FPV need more customisation to differentiate their product from Ford. Special order paint colour would be a good place to start. I'd pay a couple of thou for that.

Last edited by Rodge; 22-06-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #28
Scott

This would be awesome! I could finally get that F6 with a real V8 rumble I've always wanted
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #29
b2tf
not here much anymore

Give it a rest Polyal you're making far too much sense.
Old 22-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #30
JG34JA

Nice topic for a poll. I think with the XY you could get 136 different customisable options on the car, well over a million different, and individual permutations.

Current range, I'd ask for the column shift 6 seat option in an LPG "ute with 4 doors and integral rear canopy"* at G6E trim level.

* = wagon, I know, I know.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post