Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ideas for a second car

looking to get a cheap run a round 4cyl Auto up to about $6,000, any ideas if there's a reliable car in that price range.

4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
Gavin Thomas
* 1962 XK Deluxe Sedan *

Default Re: Ideas for a second car

Toyota Camry with good service records - a bit boring but hard to beat for long term reliabilty. Also basic to service, plenty of parts available & fair resale etc. Check car point etc for examples of whats around, K's etc for that price range - should be plenty.
Gavin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Barnaby

Toyota Echo? Early models should be around that money.
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Capri convertible, great car, runs on the laser platform, looks cool and a turbo version can be had from $2000 to $4500 for a really good one. ( I need someone on here to compare notes with lol)
Old 20-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasty73
Capri convertible, great car, runs on the laser platform, looks cool and a turbo version can be had from $2000 to $4500 for a really good one. ( I need someone on here to compare notes with lol)
Get a hand bag to go with it too.
Mazda or Corolla for economy, resale value and cheap parts, plus reliability.
Old 20-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

N15 Pulsar, you might be able to get a SSS for that money
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want a 4cyl purely for the savings in fuel costs, then go for the 6cyl on LPG. It'll be cheaper to run than a 4cyl on petrol. A 2.0L 4cyl turbo diesel in our 5 year old Peugeot 307 is about on par on a cents per kilometre basis with the 4.0L I6 in my 13 year old EL Falcon.
In my Falcon, I get approximately 500kms out of a tank for $35.
Old 20-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

1.5L 5sp 3 door Festiva?

Currently a few low km ones on carpoint/carsales.com.au

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

you can have my pulsar for 3

oh wait, it's not an auto...dammit :-(

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
Krytox
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

KJ/KL/KN Laser, 1.8 robust little bastards and you'll get change from 6k.
Old 20-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
1.5L 5sp 3 door Festiva?

Currently a few low km ones on carpoint/carsales.com.au
Dangerous car, we've got one in the family, I'm trying to get Mummy dearest out of it and into driving the Fiesta I have but unfortunately she loves her car too much, lol.

Good on fuel though, 6.4L/100km.

See if you can pick up a Mazda 323 for $6000, you might be able to pick up a BJII for that money now.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...px?R=10253425&
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

had a few Toyota's before as 2nd cars not many problems but didnt think of the Mazda, will look into them. Falcon on lpg? too many Falcons already, need a small car for driveway parking.
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #13
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in the same boat - want a cheap reliable 4 cyl runabout as well as for son to learn to drive . Looking at 323's on carsales.com for 6 grand you're lucky to get a 10 yo car with around 200k on the clock...For that money i could get a AU XR6 so the small cars do hold their value well
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Mazda 121 Metro? Hyundai Accent? Toyota Echo? Kia Rio?

Cheers.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Thomas
Toyota Camry with good service records - a bit boring but hard to beat for long term reliabilty. Also basic to service, plenty of parts available & fair resale etc. Check car point etc for examples of whats around, K's etc for that price range - should be plenty.
Probably the best choice.

Well...depends if you buy with the head or the heart...
When I had to move away from home to go to the train drivers school for three to four months, I decided to buy a small car of some sort. I couldn't use the motorbike as I had to carry all sorts of gear to live on my own and the missus needed the Commodore we owned at the time back in Bundy.
I set myself a budget of $7000 and realised this was the first time we would be buying a car becuase we "wanted it" rather than "needed it", so I set some parameters:
Four cylinder, five speed manual, two door, rear wheel drive, air con, and something "interesting". We looked at old Mazda RX7's, but realised they'd be a bit of a nightmare in a small country town with questionable local mechanics who mightn't know rotaries as well as you'd like. I could have just gone our and bought a nice little Hyundai or Kia, but that kind of ignored the rear wheel drive and interesting part of the requirements.
Ended up tracking down the genuine one-owner '82 Celica with only 80,000km on it for $5000, and we couldn't be happier. Of course my sister in law who is a nurse is horrified...her "basic requirements" for a car is that it be festooned with a minimum of half a dozen air bags, but there you go.

Whatever you get, get something interesting...you'll enjoy it more in the long run and won't see it later as simply some sort of utensil.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 01:36 AM   #16
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

Of course my sister in law who is a nurse is horrified...her "basic requirements" for a car is that it be festooned with a minimum of half a dozen air bags, but there you go.
Might have something to do with having to look after people who've been smashed up in car accidents? I can see where she's coming from, I'd feel the same way if I was confronted with the consequences on a daily basis.

To the OP, it's not exactly a small car but don't overlook the humble Magna. The TE Magna came with a 2.4 litre as a base engine and it's quite a nice little unit, they use around 9l/100 around town in automatic guise. Definitely nothing like the Astron 2.6 that it replaced. Plus they have an excellent safety rating, far better than a 323 or Corolla of the era and parts/servicing are cheap. The build quality is excellent and they are a very affordable and better looking alternative to Camry or other smaller 4 pots.

Also don't overlook a Falcon on LPG, as said above the running costs would be very competitive with a 4 cylinder, plus you get bucketloads more power and a much safer car. Small cars from the late '90s-early 2000s have questionable crash safety at the best of times.
Old 21-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #17
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just acquired a 1998 Hyundai sonata
Twin cam,auto thingy
Bit bigger than an old laser/corolla
Mother in law owned it for the last 9 years
Funny thing is even with only 120k on the clock its market value is only 3.5K
Goes quite well for what it is , and cheap on fuel

A small car with good return,toyota
But youll pay extra for the priveledge

Need to ask yourself , how long realistically are you planning on owning it ???
Till it dies,or a year or two or three
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #18
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Good luck with the sonata 302 XC, they're a 'mitsubishi style' timing belt 'interference/non-clearance' motor.
We call them hand grenades, cos you just don't know when the belt is going to snap and you need a remachined top end.
That's why they have terrible resale value
I recently turned down a 2003 Sonata with 170k on the clock for $4k for this very reason
Old 21-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #19
BrisVegas
Noobie

I'm in the same boat. Looking for a cheap, economical second car later this year. Although I've never owned a Falcon, the AU3 Falc looks to be pretty good value and there are plenty on gas already. Even on petrol they wouldn't be that bad if you're not doing lots of kms. We've got a 4cyl diesel for trips. The second car would just be for juggling kid dropoffs on days when the wife gets work etc..

Having owned Corolla, Integra, Focus, Fiesta, Accord and a Maxima... None of these are any better or worse. The jap stuff is pretty reliable, but is still quite expensive second hand compared to 6 cyl Falcon and Commodore. Small car parts are not cheap.

If only doing modest mileage, a used 6 cyl looks to make more sense to me.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #20
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Good luck with the sonata 302 XC, they're a 'mitsubishi style' timing belt 'interference/non-clearance' motor.
We call them hand grenades, cos you just don't know when the belt is going to snap and you need a remachined top end.
I recently turned down a 2003 Sonata with 170k on the clock for $4k for this very reason

Thanks for the tip
But for the pricely some of "$0" with 9 months rego
Ill drive it till it goes pop
Ill just ensure it keeps its service intervals,when the time comes for a big $$$ repair,ill wiegh the odds

Ya wanna talk about big $$$ repairs
Go crack a head on a GU 2.8 patrol
You wont get any change from 4K
Thats just a top end repair,not a motor rebuild
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We've got a BJII-J48 (2003) 323 in the household, good car, put up with massive abuse like not getting serviced between big intervals, its got just under 300,000km on the clock.

Still starts every morning no fail.

Hell, it hasn't even blown its factory original headlights that came with the car, I replaced them for Phillips +80s a month or so ago, lol.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #22
malazn mafia
Boss 335

1996-2002 Mitsubishi Mirage. Nice and zippy in manual, easy to park and will run off the smell of an oily rag. There's an auto option too if i recall correctly. With a JDM spec front cut, or 4G93/4G63 motor you can have yourself a nice little go-kart for not much more.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #23
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Smile Re: Ideas for a second car

A 2003-4 Magna will do the job nicely,alot of car for the money really.4 airbags std,climate control,sequential auto,cruise,electrice and a good V6 that is great on fuel regardless what anyone says.Had one for two years and was the smoothest car I have ever owned,I circummed to needing more power though.My BA is nowhere near as good a car allround and the Mitsi's dont rust lol,just dont let birdcrap stay on car for more than a few days,paint is very thin and my only gripe.

50ltrs would get us over 500kms of city driving.Not a 4cyl I know but a good alternative to the others mentioned.

Flame suit well and truely on.....
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Yes they do. Right now my son's old 1997 Sonata is sitting under his house with a dead engine from a snapped timing belt. Not worth repairing.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #25
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Question Re: Ideas for a second car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Yes they do. Right now my son's old 1997 Sonata is sitting under his house with a dead engine from a snapped timing belt. Not worth repairing.
Is it snapped or is it free spinning on the cog?
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #26
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you have any idea on how many 4 cylinder cars I have had to pull the sump off and clean out the oil pick up out and put con rod bearings in? No. Well it's in the hundreds. FOR CHRIST SAKE, CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 10000 ks or EVERY 6 MONTHS!!! Got a 95 corolla at work right now with 250k on it and it needs this done. Most jap 4s are good BUT NEED MAINTANENCE!!!
Old 21-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #27
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Dangerous car, we've got one in the family, I'm trying to get Mummy dearest out of it and into driving the Fiesta I have but unfortunately she loves her car too much, lol.

Good on fuel though, 6.4L/100km.

See if you can pick up a Mazda 323 for $6000, you might be able to pick up a BJII for that money now.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...px?R=10253425&
Is it? What makes it dangerous? Sister could be buying one when she kills my Subaru :(

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #28
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Had a '99 KN Series Laser in the family which everyone learnt to drive in ... serviced every 10,000kms, clocked up 250k without a hitch and then got written off ...

Only non standard maintenance item was a cracked auto trans pan (no big deal, got onto it early) and dodgy aftermarket central locking (easy fix - use a key).

Any of the Mazda 323's or Ford Lasers from about 1995/96 onwards (until they stopped making them in 2003) are absolutely great little 4cyl cars, so reliable and good on fuel and easy to drive.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #29
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Flogging a dead horse BUT the Capri is based on the laser and Mazda 323 platform, same running gear and suspension BUT YOU GET A CONVERTIBLE!!!!!
Old 21-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #30
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Is it? What makes it dangerous? Sister could be buying one when she kills my Subaru :(
Low crash star rating, 2 or 3 stars. No airbags at all, no ABS etc.

Contradictory I know (coming from me lol) but when I was buying one new that's all I could afford.

They are a bullet-proof car and if you can stretch the budget get something a little larger or safer.

Once you are buying a 2nd hand car that's 7-10 years old there are a plethora of options and and extra grand or 2 will get you into something that would have cost and extra 10 grand when new.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post