Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Rodent in car

Ammmm I was driving to work the other day and out of the corner of my eye I see what looks to be a very large cockroach running around in my passanger footwell. But when it eventuly made it around my feet and onto my lap [WHILE I WAS DRIVING] I seen it was a poor defencles mouse!!! None the less Mouse v's ZH Marquis wiring loom....... mouse wins every time!!! : Now ive set a trap and the bugger has eatin the cheease of it every time, and I dont wanna poision it at it will probly go die in the A/C behind the dash board! I dont think the old fashinod mouse traps are as sensative as they use to be!

Last edited by Auslandau; 31-01-2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Sorry ..... spelling police!
Old 30-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
braddyxe51
cortyboy

Dont put food in for it. soon enough it will leave. I get mice in my cars all the time. Aswell as wasps, coches, ants.
Got in once to find 1/2 my road map ripped apart.
Once ya get rid of them from house closest place is cars.
Old 30-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Peanut butter works best in mouse traps.
Old 30-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its crazy!! it smells and i blane the sugar cane fields!!! but it might eat stuff i dont want it 2 eat!!!
Old 30-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
LukeGT
Melbourne, Victoria

Heres a photo of a RAT (big one too) that never made it out of the car. Photo is underneath the rear seat in a P6 LTD.

XB GT Restoration - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11281881

Old 30-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I swear thats where its living, but when i pulled the rwar seats out it wasnt there!!!
Old 30-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
jcat58

go to the 2 dollar shop or bonkers if you got em in your town and get the sticky mouse traps.put some peanut butter in the middle and you will get him. my best is 5 at once they get stuck on them.they weren't in my car of course
Old 30-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
lubby1

Hi Marquis 351

When i put traps out for mice i use the crust of the bread or a piece of bread roll with some nutella on it, they love it and cant keep away from it- works every time.

If you are having trouble with them taking the bait without triggering the trap try a piece of dog buiscut superglued to the trap that should fix him.
Old 31-01-2010, 12:55 AM   #9
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I don't have the mouse problem in the car, however in the house, they're a pain in the rectum.

Anyways, the misses has bought a new mouse trap on the market. It's called "The safe and sure mousetrap". Hard to describe the look and not knowing how to post piccies on here, it makes things difficult.

If someone can guide me on piccie posting, I'll take one of it and post it up.

There's no chance of catching the fingers by setting it, due to its design and I haven't failed to catch one yet with it.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 31-01-2010, 07:17 AM   #10
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
I don't have the mouse problem in the car, however in the house, they're a pain in the rectum.

Anyways, the misses has bought a new mouse trap on the market. It's called "The safe and sure mousetrap". Hard to describe the look and not knowing how to post piccies on here, it makes things difficult.

If someone can guide me on piccie posting, I'll take one of it and post it up.

There's no chance of catching the fingers by setting it, due to its design and I haven't failed to catch one yet with it.
www.photobucket.com Upload them there and copyandpaste the IMG code to where ever you wanna post the pic. I'd be intrested to see a pic.
Old 31-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #11
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby1
Hi Marquis 351

When i put traps out for mice i use the crust of the bread or a piece of bread roll with some nutella on it, they love it and cant keep away from it- works every time.

If you are having trouble with them taking the bait without triggering the trap try a piece of dog buiscut superglued to the trap that should fix him.
It is hard to get the mouse to spring the trap, I will try the glue and dog biscut!
Old 31-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If your using the original mouse trap I always file the end of the throw over wire just a little. makes it a hair trigger : Note: Keep fingers clear when loading :

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Old 31-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
left
Lady Leadfoot

Do you have a secure lockable garage? If it is secure to do so, with the car parked inside, leave the cars doors open and the trap *outside the car* and in the morning you will have one dead mouse. BTW they really like budgie food too.

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
Old 31-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis 351
www.photobucket.com Upload them there and copyandpaste the IMG code to where ever you wanna post the pic. I'd be intrested to see a pic.

Where abouts on the forum do I find the IMG code, so I can post this pic up?

Sorry for the thread hijack too.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 31-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #15
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yeah peanut butter on a little bit of bread TIED TO the trap, otherwise they'll just yank it out.

Just use a traditional style trap, there's no moral harm in killing a mouse.
But it isn't fun at midnight when you hear *SNAP* WEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee......
Old 31-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Where abouts on the forum do I find the IMG code, so I can post this pic up?

Sorry for the thread hijack too.
also sorry to hijack, this is the link you need to copy and paste from photobucket. if you run your mouse over the picture, a list of options comes down, then click that, and right click, then select copy, then paste it into your post
Old 31-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #17
reds89

could be worse,could be a dirty great huntsman spider running across ya dash heading for your side while you are in traffic.As for the mouse we had one at home and he liked mint chocolate.
Old 31-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #18
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

I keep snakes, maybe I could lend you one..LOL
Old 31-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #19
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
also sorry to hijack, this is the link you need to copy and paste from photobucket. if you run your mouse over the picture, a list of options comes down, then click that, and right click, then select copy, then paste it into your post

Sorry if I do sound thick, but is it a case of just coping and pasting from photo bucket into the open reply area or do I have to open up the "management attachment" area on the forum?

Old 31-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #20
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Sorry if I do sound thick, but is it a case of just coping and pasting from photo bucket into the open reply area or do I have to open up the "management attachment" area on the forum?
Just copy the link including the 'IMG' in brackets at both ends, and paste into your reply area, where you want your photo.
Click "Preview post'' to see how the post will look before you send.
Old 31-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #21
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

if there is damage from the mouse, ie wiring/upholstery etc, if you have comprehensive insurance you can claim it. Of course it is classed as an at fault claim and will cost you your excess, but it is claimable.
Old 31-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #22
left
Lady Leadfoot

I dunno, I'd kinda like a mouse who was happy to hang with me. Keep him as your car's mascot I reckon. They're cute little guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds89
could be worse,could be a dirty great huntsman spider running across ya dash heading for your side while you are in traffic.
Ick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds89
As for the mouse we had one at home and he liked mint chocolate.
A choccy connoisseur! Cute

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
Old 31-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #23
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about leaving a cat in the car for a night - install Cat i.1 to remove mouse 0.0

It worked for the mice in our roof at home!
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 31-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #24
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I have an idea, its a bit destructive but will work, set the car on fire lol!, Jokes!

Just dont leave it any food, it wont stay if it will starve
Old 31-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #25
Mad Maxine

Just a bit of advice - if you choose to use a sticky trap, you will have to kill the mouse, as you will NEVER get it off the trap without it being covered in adhesive. These traps are NOT humane if you set it and forget it - the poor buggers die of thirst or starvation or stress or a combo of all three.

Do it quickly and humanely or use a live trap: simple to make if you've got an old glass milk bottle or something similar. Really easy: place some bacon fat or peanut paste or something nice and fatty (chocolate is also good, believe it or not, but squandering it on a mouse might be a big ask, even if it is to be it's last meal!) in the bottle. Stand bottle up in middle of footwell of car, braced at the base by something like a couple of shoes or whatever. Mouse crawls up outside via the shoes/towel outside, jumps into bottle, can't jump back out.

Another method uses a bucket with a thin rod or stick tied across it, and a piece of tasty steak or chop fat tied to the stick in the middle by a piece of string over the middle of the bucket so it dangles halfway down into the bucket. Coat middle of stick with vaseline. Mousie walks on stick to get at food below, slips and falls in. Can't jump back out if bottom of bucket is full of water either (only has to be four inches deep) but this is also a horrible way to kill mice though it will catch many mice each night without need to reset anything. Bushies use a similar method using a greased longneck beer bottle placed over one edge of the bucket with some food stuffed in the neck.

MM

1977 XC GS Coupe
Old 31-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #26
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

You can get these newer, plastic traps, and when used with peanut butter are very good at catching mice... well, the odd mouse doesn't get the trap clamped around it's head properly and they trash around a bit. Had one that managed to pull its way out but was so stunned by the trap closing on his noggin that I was able to catch him with my hands.
Old 31-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #27
03wrx

I just read thru this thread, and its unbelievably funny.

If I ever meet someone who has this problem, I am sure I could blow their minds with the knowledge I have acquired from this thread.
Old 31-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #28
Mad Maxine

Ha ha! Welcome to the wonderful world of the AFF, LOL!

MM

1977 XC GS Coupe
Old 31-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #29
dogfish

Bend the wire in more of an arc on the old fashion Mouse trap it makes it more sensitive.

THE TOY:2003 CV8R Monaro 6Spd Manual.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #30
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark351
You can get these newer, plastic traps, and when used with peanut butter are very good at catching mice... well, the odd mouse doesn't get the trap clamped around it's head properly and they trash around a bit. Had one that managed to pull its way out but was so stunned by the trap closing on his noggin that I was able to catch him with my hands.

Any chance of you posting piccies up of your traps. They sound very similar to the ones I use, but unfortunately I still don't know how to post piccies on this forum to compare

Closed Thread