Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Things to do around Fresno and Bakersfield California?

I am off for a week or two in the Fresno/Bakersfield area of California, and would like to say I had been and done something in the area other than work!

So far all I really want to do for sure is hit up the Bakersfield Dragway. So if anyone has any other advice or suggestions, It'd be great to hear them.

It sorta sucks that the Baseball isn't on this time of year (Even if the game is slow as all hell!!) I'd like to say I'd been to one!

Knowing a few good places to grab a feed, a beer or just plain have a sticky beak at in the Fresno area would take my mind off the fact I wont be able to get a whole lot of time (read; more than 8 hours) in Los Angeles.........

Cheers!

calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Mad Maxine

You could try the Kern County Museum, but it's more designed for kids, though if you haven't been in the US for long (or ever), it has some OK displays, mostly of old buildings, and native history. http://www.kcmuseum.org/

And this is the best restaurant in town! http://mamaroomba.com/ Cuban food, some spicy stuff, but ask the staff first if you can't cope with hot and spicy food. If you want a quick bite, you can't go past the Lie-N-Den burger joint on Niles Place/Plaza

I travelled around the States in late 2007, and spent a night or two in Bakersfield, because there was a massive car show/spare parts market there.

If you like animals, there's a zoo there too, and they walk 'tame' animals around pretty much every weekend. Just amazing. Can't remember the name of the place, though. I also remember a massive caravan/mobile home park there too.

Have fun, and I'd just ask at your hotel, they will know everything and tell you what's good and what's not.

Check this website out: Lots of stuff to see, particularly if you have a car and can travel.... http://www.visitkern.com/index.php

America is an amazing place, hope you enjoy it!

MM

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Use www.tripadvisor.com and search for all you need.

Things to do in Fresno

Fresno restaurants

Fresno hotel deals

Fresno Q&A forum
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 02:02 AM   #4

i was in fresno in 1996 and saw someone get shot and killed,
have fun.
fresno is a hole,full of gang bangers,
its not to far from san fansico which has lot more to do.
go to las vages its the best place to go,well worth it,free beer while playing the pokies cheap rooms and food.have fun 24/7.
1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971
i was in fresno in 1996 and saw someone get shot and killed,
have fun.
fresno is a hole,full of gang bangers,
its not to far from san fansico which has lot more to do.
go to las vages its the best place to go,well worth it,free beer while playing the pokies cheap rooms and food.have fun 24/7.
Not unlike when I drove through Bonnyrigg in Sydney with my Dad in 1998 and got shot at........

Shame I wont be able to make it to San Francisco unfortunately, That opportunity may come later in the year, perhaps with Vegas too.....
Old 11-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Santa Cruz and Monterey south of San Fran are good places to visit as well. Spent a few days around there back in '03.
San Francisco is a great city. Been there a number of times now. Quite a few when we were there in 03 and went back for a couple of days in 07. Much better than LA in my opinion. Too hard to get around LA unless you have a car.

If you can get out to the coast, then a drive down highway one is great. Big Sur is a good spot to go and Hearst Castle at San Simeon is another good place to go tour.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #7

will you have a car there?
route 66 starts in LA.
1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, San Fran is go, just at night though... Shame I have to work during the day!

I had a few work buddies recommend Santa Cruz too.... whats the appeal?

Highway one is definately on the agenda if I get a day off.
Old 14-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #9
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Santa Cruz Boardwalk: http://www.beachboardwalk.com/
Ride the Giant Dipper rollercoaster. It's an 85 year old wooden rollercoaster. Good fun!

As for San Fran, simply ride the cable cars, Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, etc, etc. Heaps to do there. If you want to do Alcatraz, then you have to book in advance.
Old 15-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #10
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Giddy Up.

I fly out in a few hours.....

I'll let you all know how the trip went when I get back!

Cheers for the advice.
Old 23-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I flew back into Sydney yesterday morning, and to be honest even though I had an unreal trip, being back home after such a full on week was just what I needed.

I did get up to some interesting activities while I was over there though! And used the advice as given by some of the guys who contributed to this thread.

On my first night, after having worked a full day out at Top Gun NAS, my colleagues and I hit up Chili's for a feed and many a beer was consumed, the service was better than any restaurant I have been to here, the portions massive and appetising and the bill more than reasonable.

On the second night after a full day of work again, we hit the road for San Francisco at 2.30pm. After smashing the interstate for 250 or so miles we rolled over the Bay Bridge just as the sun was sitting on the horizon. It made for awesome photos! We then rolled through downtown SF through to the Golden Gate, and onto Observation Point for more pics and a well earned pitstop. After such a long drive we cruised back into SF and down to Fishermans Wharf for a a feed, a beer and some nightlife! Hooters was a good choice for obvious reasons and then we hit up some of the honky tonk bars and some touristy places for souvenirs. After this, some hill jumping was in order, and let me just say, the Kia Sedona I had as a rental copped a fair hiding up and down Steiner St. We left SF at around 2.30am for the drive back to work!

The next night, Saint Patricks Day was cause for celebration and much eating drinking and being merry! So we did. We started out at Applebee's in Hanford .CA (a ridiculous amount of hot women were there, it was a goldmine!) The food kicked ***, and the beers were cheap and green! So we kicked on to one of the local bars for drinking games and shot games of pool. A great St Patricks day, the ladies loved the Ockerisms and the Accents us Aussies were sporting....

Onwards the next afternoon we headed east for the Sequoia National Park to find the worlds largest living oganism, a tree call General Sherman which is stupidly big and an unreal sight to behold. Not to mention we stopped many times for snowball fights and to build snowmen once above the snowline. It was an awesome sight and well worth heading into the Sequoia National Park.

The next night, we left country California for the starry sights of Los Angeles and quickly found ourselves strutting Sunset Boulevarde and Hollywood Boulevarde, and star hunting. We got lucky and got snaps with Jamie Foxx and Mischa Barton. Not that I cared to much. We had pics at the Chinese Theater and watched a full blown police siege at the end of sunset strip (the only crime I saw in the whole trip). After this, visiting many bars and attractions we somehow ended up at a strip joint, albeit briefly, all being married men and all. We headed back to our hotel.

The next day, we didn't have to work, so we hit up Pann's diner in Inglewood for a feed (it was like stepping onto the set of Pulp Fiction!) which was just what we needed to quell the liquor from the previous night! We then decided Universal Studious would be the go for the day. We booked a stretched Hummer and made our way into the Hills. Upon arriving at Universal, the lines were massive and we got slightly disheartened, until we saw a front of line pass, which meant we didn't have to wait in line for any ride or attraction and had priority seating for the shows! We bought our front of line tickets and smashed every ride in the park about 6 or seven times in a day. Where regular ticket holders were waiting up to an hour and half, the longest we waited was 3 or 4 minutes! Money well spent!!

After Universal Studios, we went straight back to Airport and boarded the A380 home.

Needless to say I love the clean, smog free air of the Blue Mountains, and am already in detox!

Cheers guys, and thanks for the help prior to my trip! :