Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Scrap rego - per km tax

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...30/2886503.htm

Quote:
A key infrastructure lobby group has called for road taxes such as registration to be scrapped in favour of charging motorists for each kilometre they drive, just ahead of the release of the long-awaited Henry tax review.

could you imagine the NSW govt actually getting rid of rego if this came in? i can't. like they were supposed to eliminate a lot of their stamp duty when the GST came in, and didn't.

the reason congestion is so bad is everyone needs to be in the same place at the same time. top gear uk had a discussion about it when they looked at it for the UK.

it would also cost a lot to administer. imagine having to check every single person's mileage to see how much to charge them.

Old 30-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There already is a per kilometre tax, its called the tax on petrol. The more you use (and so the more km you do), the more you pay.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...30/2886503.htm

could you imagine the NSW govt actually getting rid of rego if this came in? i can't. like they were supposed to eliminate a lot of their stamp duty when the GST came in, and didn't.

the reason congestion is so bad is everyone needs to be in the same place at the same time. top gear uk had a discussion about it when they looked at it for the UK.

it would also cost a lot to administer. imagine having to check every single person's mileage to see how much to charge them.
Of course it will have to be tailored to suit the real world.

QLD is 20 times the size of VIC so the $/km for Victorians should be 20 times that of QLD.

Capital city dwellers who have access to public transport should also pay at least 100 times everyone else.

Gotta be fair.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

i do see a plus side of it though, if say like me, i plan to have 2 bikes and a ute, now i cant possibly travel in each vehicle at the same time. so why pay rego in all three, ber km of road used is good in this sense, king of stupid paying rego on a bike that will do 80 kms a week, then a bike that does 400 kms a week, and a ute that does 400 kms a week, why cant we roll them all into one in a way to discount?
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

$ per km of fuel works best. It is easy to administer (already in place) and it's a user-led way to benefit the environment.
Old 30-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If this was to get in, chances are certain charges like rego would not be scrapped entirely - just like taxes like Stamp Duty were meant to go when the GST came in, but it is still with us.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with Flappist. It should be fair for us country folk who generally do a lot more kms than you city folk.
I think in a country of our size, it would be difficult to implement.
How do you do it so it doesn't disadvantage country folk, couriers, taxi drivers, truckies, people doing driving holidays, grey nomads, etc, etc. There would be too many exceptions.
The tax on fuel idea would still disadvantage these same people due to the sheer number of kms they do, hence fuel they use. That would mean that fuel would have to be cheaper in the country than in the city for that to work, wouldn't it?
Old 30-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If something aint broke, then don't fix it!

Although rego may be on the more expensive side of things, it works as it is - don't change it, especially to something more confusing.

EDIT: I just worked out to see how much it would cost me to drive each week under the system, it would cost me $32 a week or $1664 per year. NO THANKS!

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Didn't they look at doing this in London until it was realised it was a rubbish idea and wouldn't work?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Didn't they look at doing this in London until it was realised it was a rubbish idea and wouldn't work?
Yep, and how the hell do they expect to 'monitor' people's driving/vehicle usage? Like hell I'm putting some big brother black box in my car.

As others have said, we already have a "pay as you go" system, it's called excise.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #11
nstg8a

nz uses a similar system for taxing diesel users, as diesel is exempt from certain taxes that petrol is.

you simply buy 10000km 'vouchers' and they are displayed beside rego labels.

from memory it was $35 for 1000kms?

worked ok, but if you got behind and got caught it was a massive fine, and if you bought a vehicle that was behind in its 'ruc's then the new owner had to catch it up.

not a hard thing to police, the voucher shows your km's when you bought the new 'voucher' and the maximum km reading before you need to buy more

found an image on google

i like the idea, a much fairer way of user pays imo.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question

CAN you really see them scrapping rego, fuel tax etc ????? they will still be there,but given a different name. Looking out window..no pigs flying...
Old 30-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #13
Boosh Brus

I support the idea though it has to be fair for country folk. My rego this year was $460 or something an on this system it will be well under $100 per year.

The problem is how to police people cheating the system?
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #14
fg_nitro

I can see them putting this on top of what's in place already rather than scrapping rego/tax/excise.

You cannot have the government doing something good for the road congestion.

Public Transport is a joke. Obvious people who say "use" public transport have never had the displeasure of using it?
fg_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #15
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
nz uses a similar system for taxing diesel users, as diesel is exempt from certain taxes that petrol is.

you simply buy 10000km 'vouchers' and they are displayed beside rego labels.

from memory it was $35 for 1000kms?

worked ok, but if you got behind and got caught it was a massive fine, and if you bought a vehicle that was behind in its 'ruc's then the new owner had to catch it up.

not a hard thing to police, the voucher shows your km's when you bought the new 'voucher' and the maximum km reading before you need to buy more

found an image on google

i like the idea, a much fairer way of user pays imo.

Unscrew the speedo cable and problem solved. Work out your speed off a tacho.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg_nitro
Obvious people who say "use" public transport have never had the displeasure of using it?
Or have never lived in an area that is poorly served by public transport/have to commute on a route that isn't served by buses or trains.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #17
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Well in NSW at least you have your cars Km taken down when you got a roadworthy inspection which is forwarded to the RTA, so they could use that. However what is to stop people editing odometers?
Wont work.
At least someone got paid a bucketload of probably taxpayer money to think this crap up probably knowing full well it could never work.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Of course it will have to be tailored to suit the real world.
The NSW is really good at this......

The NSW Gov said they need new/better roads in the Syd metro area, so up goes the rego. Much to the disgust of us bush folk.

If you like Flappist we can send our lot up there to help Ms Bligh, she could probably get lots of new ideas from them
Old 30-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #19
omn1potent

Thumbs down ......... hmmmmmmm no thanks to this TAX.

Here's some more info:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/money/mo...-1225860719998

and the proposal

http://www.infrastructure.org.au/Dis...spx?FileID=372

......... hmmmmmmm now they can track us via GPS, and one would assume, how fast you are traveling, hey presto, ADHOC self infringement notice for speeding. Excellent revenue maker.

......... hmmmmmmm now they can track us via GPS, and monitor what ever you do or go via a motorised vehicle, big brother, or just another form of control from the government.

......... hmmmmmmm why don't they just "fix the roads" and "public transport", oh oh that whats this new tax is for, then what is the fuel excise paying? Wasn't that the original terms of reference?

......... hmmmmmmm no thanks to this TAX.
omn1potent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2010, 02:10 AM   #20
omn1potent

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/hen...-1225861022539

Quote "There will be no road congestion tax, no change to the GST, no change to capital gains, negative gearing or share taxation and no changes to petrol taxes." Bonus - NO ETS! Now this government is starting to understand, and to WAKE UP!
omn1potent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #21
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Unscrew the speedo cable and problem solved. Work out your speed off a tacho.
in nz its a massive fine if caught with an inoperable odometer on a vehicle which requires ruc's.

sure some did it, and get away with it, but its a big risk. and im not sure how well modern cars would like having the speedo signal interupted.

and its easily tested, i had a cop test mine in my old patrol. all he did was checked my odometer reading, then followed me for a distance and rechecked it.

if it hadnt rolled over the right distance he would have written out a nice big ticket.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #22
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rego is only 25% of what you pay each year the rest is tac insurance i doubt that will be bought under the kms driven each year it will only be the rego side of it

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #23
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i dont get the country should be cheaper bit, it allready is cheaper!!

rego is 20% cheaper, insurance is 30% cheaper, greenslip 20% cheaper.
and you use 20%~45% more fuel in city traffic.

if the tax was on excise only then it would be well cheaper in the country then city.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #24
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The easiest way to over come the monitoring issues raised; black boxes, salellites, non-working spoeedos is to link it to fuel usage; effectively what's happening now!
The more you drive the more you pay! Of course this mean little or no growthg to the exisiting Puiblic Service; so is NOT being considered!
If they scrap rego then how do they plan to keep ******** boxes off the road? Oh that's right they don't enforce the systems in place now, so that won't change either.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post