Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-11-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
alstar5

Default NSW P-Plate's "Engine Performance Modification"

Hi There,

I'm going for my provisional licence next Monday (13th) and I drive a '02 Futura BA with a modified exhaust.

I've just been reading through the RTA website and it prohibits P-Plater's from driving with a vehicle fitted with an "engine performance modification". Would an exhaust mod fit this description?

Thanks for your advice,

Alex

2014 - 2014: AUII Futura SR
2015 - 2015: Kawasaki Ninja 650RL
2016 - 2016: Kawasaki Ninja 300
2018 - 2018: VZ Holden Commodore
2019: FG G6 Falcon
alstar5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

I wouldnt say so, and i hope not, because then its going to apply to me.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
XzLr8
Banned

well depends on where your from im in melb and we drive with heaps of mods, seen a couple of p platers with supercharged 8's, you could possibly be reading the rules that will apply to P platers as off next year???
XzLr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
Ford Racing
Starter Motor

oh great another p-plater terrorising us on the roads soon....

mate just call the RTA and ask them if its allowed. I guess it will depend on what you have classified as a mod, if its going from a 2 inch to 2 1/2 inch then most times they don't worry...
Ford Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
YuGoStaR
Long Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XzLr8
well depends on where your from im in melb and we drive with heaps of mods, seen a couple of p platers with supercharged 8's, you could possibly be reading the rules that will apply to P platers as off next year???
Really now...supercahrged 8's is that right? And you wonder why we cop it...
Old 05-11-2006, 04:01 PM   #6
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Yes it would.

An exhaust affects the engines performance.

Should you really care about it and will it ever affect you?

NO
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

technically a p-plater driving a supercharged V-8 in Vic is illegal. The law down here says a car can't have more than 125kw per tonne
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Racing
oh great another p-plater terrorising us on the roads soon....

mate just call the RTA and ask them if its allowed. I guess it will depend on what you have classified as a mod, if its going from a 2 inch to 2 1/2 inch then most times they don't worry...
oh so you werent ever a P Plater?

really annoys me people going off at P Platers all the time when most the time non P Platers are just as 'terrorising'.

your proberly just stuffing around but what I said still stands!
:sm_headba
Old 05-11-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
Steffo
LPG > You

Anything that requires an engineer's certificate is deemed illegal for NSW P-Platers. Unfortunately, your exhaust falls into that too.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 04:32 PM   #10
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

since when have you had to get an engineers cert for an exhaust mod??? ive had aftermarket 'zorsts on all my cars, been pulled over in each one by cops and rta alas no defects or requests for engineer certificates.
dude, just ask the rta before you go down or take your parents car hehe
:
Old 06-11-2006, 11:24 AM   #11
LukeyST
ST fan

I was wondering the same thing a while back when i first got my p's and they brought in the those laws. I rang the RTA and got the same answer, that is, "engine performance mods" = "modifications effecting the engines performance that require an engineers certificate". Surely you dont need a certificate just for an exhaust!!
Im going to have to look further into this cause in a few weeks or so im going to buy my first car and i am planning exhaust mods etc. and i still have 24months of Green P's to come. Up till now i have only been driving my parents cars and their completely stock.
LukeyST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 11:32 AM   #12
1FLYRYD
Boost Cruisin'

yeah you wouldn't know these days, half the time i think it all depends on the cops mood, and if the cop actually knows nething or not, i have never really been hasled be exhaust mods more so suspension and gauges really loud stereon so forth
1988 EA falcon, 20inch dark agents, cyprus blue, ED XR front, full EF fairmont interior conversion, built AU motor with modded BA turbo pistons, AiResearch T04, Snort manifold & 4inch dump, 50mm Synapse external gate, custom stainless 3inch exhaust & cooler piping, Synapse BOV, SMT8 piggy back, lowered on king sl's and ultima shocks, full noleathane bushings
1FLYRYD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 11:36 AM   #13
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

yeah, p-plate regs are anything requiring certificates.. or that affects the ADR certification of the car..

exhaust
extractors

are all perfectally legal..
Old 06-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #14
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstar5
Hi There,

I'm going for my provisional licence next Monday (13th) and I drive a '02 Futura BA with a modified exhaust.

I've just been reading through the RTA website and it prohibits P-Plater's from driving with a vehicle fitted with an "engine performance modification". Would an exhaust mod fit this description?

Thanks for your advice,

Alex
You'll be fine. What they mean is that you haven't supercharged an otherwise P-plate OK car.

General Duty cops don't really care about P-Plates and power restrictions so long as you not directing attention to yourself. Its the RBT and defect vans you'll need to keep an eye out on, not because it may have "engine performance mods" but moreso that "its too loud".
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #15
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstar5
Hi There,

Thanks for your advice,

Alex
mate im a p plater & i work for the RTA.. inregards for the performance mods.....even though the exhaust does JUST fit into it... its not highly policed....unless you can be heard comming 4 blocks away a coppa is not gonna give a *****....they are actually reffering more along the lines of turbo's and superchargers....and extractors.....basically anything that will let you be the stereotype Hoon and be profiled by every cop that you pass....

mate what ill do is ask the poeple in the road vehicle standards and safety section who deal with this stuff all the time....and ill shoot you off a PM when i get an answer...im sure the RTA will not mind you having an exhaust on your car....if they do. just say that you required to get a new exhaust system as your old one had problems and issues....

Last edited by photn; 06-11-2006 at 12:18 PM.
photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 11:44 AM   #16
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
You'll be fine. What they mean is that you haven't supercharged an otherwise P-plate OK car.

General Duty cops don't really care about P-Plates and power restrictions so long as you not directing attention to yourself. Its the RBT and defect vans you'll need to keep an eye out on, not because it may have "engine performance mods" but moreso that "its too loud".
damn you beat me to it lol.....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #17
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

I was under the impression that you could do mods unless they needed to be engineered.

Cops don't really police it unless you do something stupid. If someone tries to get you for it say it was replaced because the stock one rusted even if you get a fine write a letter to the infringment centre and they should let you off.

And remember its only illegal if the cop notices it, if you make it look stock you will mst likly get away with it.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 12:14 PM   #18
WHIPLASH
METALLICA and FORD FREAK

Up here in QLD there arnt any real P plater laws yet, luckely. My ea has exhaust, extractors, cams and even a chip in it but all of this was done before i bought the car so if these performance laws applyed to me then would this mean id have to spend big money to get all of it removed and returned to stock. Anyway i think that if a law is introduced after you have got your P's then i dont think it applys to you.

Little fox

Rolling back in my au forte
*18" xhp jetz
*alpine 4000watt audio
*tickford t3 bodykit

Still got a V8 but wanting to offload the shell if anyone is interested PM me.

(1993 EB body, some minor marks, full interior (electrics need attention) NO MOTOR, gearbox needs 5th. Make offer.

Also in the shed is a 3.9ltr straight six (1990 EA). headers, crow cam, 5spd manual included. may need minor rebuild. Again make offer

WHIPLASH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #19
StookEB

every mod requires an engineers certificate but with minor mods aren't we classified as an engineer, well thats what the NSW RTA said somewhere.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #20
1FLYRYD
Boost Cruisin'

i don't think every mod needs to be enginered for example an exhaust isn't classed a structual modification for eg, think its more to do noise pollution n so forth
1988 EA falcon, 20inch dark agents, cyprus blue, ED XR front, full EF fairmont interior conversion, built AU motor with modded BA turbo pistons, AiResearch T04, Snort manifold & 4inch dump, 50mm Synapse external gate, custom stainless 3inch exhaust & cooler piping, Synapse BOV, SMT8 piggy back, lowered on king sl's and ultima shocks, full noleathane bushings
Old 06-11-2006, 02:38 PM   #21
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

In NSW you can get around it if it is the only thing you can drive as say If I owned a 351XE that my father brought me and I can't afford to buy a car then you are aloud to drive it.

And anyway how is a copper going to know that you have had your internals done... the only thing that would be noticable would be POD filter, turbo, supercharger, extractors(fix that with a heat sheild) and exhaust which they don't care about unless it is really really noisy( which would have to be bloddy loud cause they don't care about mine and it is louder than most V8's and is a I6)

NC Fairlane GHIA
Series II
I6.
Mods. 2.5" cat back
Clarion HU
Soundstream speakers amp and subs
Lowered
DL LTD rims
: thats it!
For the moment... :
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #22
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EArulz
every mod requires an engineers certificate but with minor mods aren't we classified as an engineer, well thats what the NSW RTA said somewhere.
The RTA has Vehicle Standards Information files that tell you in detail what can and can't be done to your car. These can be found here http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...i/vsi_dl1.html

We will look at VSI 06 "Guidelines for light vehicle modifications" http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati.../vsi/vsi06.pdf

There are 3 types of mods according to the RTA: Minor modifications, Modified Production and Individually constructed vehicles. Minor modifications do NOT require a engineering certificate but MUST comply with ALL ADR's so its your responsibility to check if it complies.

Have a read through a it will explain what you can and can't do to your car. Also look at the others for the real laws about things. #9 talks about tyres and is a good read to get rid of the myths about rim laws (Such as the 1inch increase myth).
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #23
geohatrick

rockers, cam, chip, exhaust, more than one air intake mod (eg anything more than a cold air) all is meant to be enginered anything that gives you more performance. But nobody gets it enginnered as nobody polices it. But if you have a big crash and the insurance company wants to investigate your car and finds it to be modified then they can decline your claim.
geohatrick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 08:20 PM   #24
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh no, Not an Exhaust,> ****** ME what is happening to this country, to many Nancy arsed fagot’s are running this country (Oh that was politicly incorrect I may of offended someone or some group) You now what I don’t give a chit, This country needs to sit down to a concrete milkshake and harden the ****** UP, some elected officials need a good swift kick up the **** from size 12 Steel Blue steel caped Boot to give there brain a kick start as that looks to be where it is located.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #25
Tocchi
Sandtrap Motorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprjenkins
technically a p-plater driving a supercharged V-8 in Vic is illegal. The law down here says a car can't have more than 125kw per tonne
if its a BA/BF v8 supercharged, then you shouldnt have any probs with the 125kw/tonne :P
Tocchi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #26
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Oh no, Not an Exhaust,> ****** ME what is happening to this country, to many Nancy arsed fagot’s are running this country (Oh that was politicly incorrect I may of offended someone or some group) You now what I don’t give a chit, This country needs to sit down to a concrete milkshake and harden the ****** UP, some elected officials need a good swift kick up the **** from size 12 Steel Blue steel caped Boot to give there brain a kick start as that looks to be where it is located.
f*&kin hello, its chopper f%$%ing reid :evil3: totally agree with ya, at the very most an exhuast will give you an increase of a breaknecking 8kw ooooooh better not get one i might get a red defect sticker on my xr8. GET OVER IT LOOSERS :
Old 06-11-2006, 09:47 PM   #27
1FLYRYD
Boost Cruisin'

yeah i agree, albury police should read that, i don't cruise much nemore but when i did they were even hasseling us if we were parked having a chat, i even got fined over $200 bucks for a loud stereo, as for the insurance ppl, they don't investigate much my el had cam, extractors full 2.5inch zorst 3.73 lsd lowered mags tint ect and when i rapped that round a pole :( they didn't even come out to look, they had no idea those mods were even there, all tho we took'em out neways so i could sell/reuse them.