Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 
Default Anyone collect Michael Jordan basketball cards or MJ memorabilia?

As per title.

If anyone does please share some pics?

I for one have 2 autographed framed jerseys and collect his rookie cards (all beckett graded).

Will post pics when I can

Cheers!

Old 06-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Heres my signed jerseys that are in my "pool room" rofl.....

Jordan Bulls:

Jordan Wizards:

The rookie cards:
All professionally graded by Beckett Grading and given a grade out of 10. The closer to 10 the more the card is worth. The first 2 cards are my most prized because they are his official rookie cards and they are both worth alot
1986-87 Fleer Jordan rookie card. The most well known and accepted rookie card because these cards were 'randomly' found in bags. Jordan actually started with the Bulls in 1984.

. 1984-85 Star Co #101 Jordan rookie. The FIRST Jordan basketball card ever and the rarest of all Jordan cards. Only around 3000 printed. Not accepted as the OFFICIAL rookie card because this card was found easily in 'team bags' so it wasnt luck of the draw to find it like the Fleer card. This card is the most valuble of all Jordan cards as Star Co went out of business a couple of years after it went to print. My most prized card by far (estimated value around $3000.00, during 1990s card BOOM these fetched around 30k for a decent grade (highest of these cards has only being graded a 9/10). - This is the 'demo model barn find GTHO' of Jordan cards

1985 Jordan 'Nike promo' rookie card. Used as a promo for Air Jordan 1 shoes.

1985 Star Co Jordan rookie

1985 Star Co Jordan 'all rookie first team'

1985-85 Star Co Jordan 'USA olympic team rookie'

1984-85 Star Co Jordan Gatorade slam dunk contest rookie

1985 Star Co Jordan ROTY

1984 Star Co Jordan 'gold medalist' rookie card

1986-87 Fleer Jordan rookie 'sticker card' (still intact)

Upper Deck Jordan 'baseball rookie card'

1996-97 Topps Star Co #101 Jordan rookie 'refractor' card. A special edition card in "chrome" to represent the Star Co Jordan rookie of 1984. Limited to 50 cards worldwide. #24/50 (damn! almost a number 23/50 haha) Topps brought out Star Co so they obtained the rights to reprint.

Last edited by FG XR; 06-03-2011 at 05:36 PM.
FG XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

My other NBA stuff

Magic Johnson autographed Lakers jersey:

And more rookie cards, the first 2 cards are all official rookie cards. Back in 1980 rookie cards were printed with the top 3 players in the NBA at the time which is why Larry Bird and Magic Johnson both rookies ended up on the 1 card.

1980 Topps Larry Bird / Julius Erving / Magic Johnson rookie card

1996-97 Topps 'anniversary rookie card' Larry Bird / Julius Erving / Magic Johnson rookie refractor card (chrome card) Limited to 50 worldwide. #22/50 printed

1987-88 Fleer Scottie Pippen rookie card

2002-03 Topps Lebron James rookie card. Waiting for Lebron to win some championships and this 10/10 rookie card is sure to skyrocket!

2002-03 Topps Lebron James rookie 'refractor chrome' card. Limited to 50 worldwide. #38/50.

that is all
Old 06-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
AU101

Cool collection mate, how did you get all the cards? Ya didn't buy thousands of them and hoping for 1 good card out of every 50 packs? lol
AU101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

haha nah! Ive being collecting them since i was in primary school. Some i was lucky enough to get in a pack however majority were brought from other collectors when the basketball card boom went south in the late 1990s (around the time Jordan retired AGAIN in 1998) thus making them easier to afford. Way i see it is Jordan cards will never decrease in value and will always hold their own. Just think the Star #101 card above in 20 years time or when Jordan passes away...... $$$ though i would never sell - Although my daughter might! lol as all this stuff is left to her in my will (i also have alot of Metallica vinyls records framed and signed by the band members - even some signed by Cliff Burton (deceased bass guitarist)
Old 06-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
CJR09
RPO 77

some cool stuff there nitro - I was a big fan growing up also and have played basketball all my life - I am lucky enough to own a pair of origional NIKE series 1 AIR Jordans - actually picked them up in Sydney 20yr ago in a little boutique shoe shop that was having a closing down sale!! there was one pair in the shop just happened to be my size.... scored for $50!!

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09
some cool stuff there nitro - I was a big fan growing up also and have played basketball all my life - I am lucky enough to own a pair of origional NIKE series 1 AIR Jordans - actually picked them up in Sydney 20yr ago in a little boutique shoe shop that was having a closing down sale!! there was one pair in the shop just happened to be my size.... scored for $50!!

Bargain! They are worth abit ya know
Old 06-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #8
Spudz27
Call me Spud

That is a nice collection.
I have a file full of old baseball cards from the early nineties. Had a few in hard covers that were considered rare (well by primary school standards lol) not sure where they are, but I have my file still. My aunty also collected them and for my 10th birthday gave me over 100 cards. Have not looked through them for ages but at the back of it are also my spider man cards. One day I should see if any I have are worth money.

Just had a quick look, my file consits of topps, Skybox, fleer ultra, upper deck, NBA hoops etc. Only Jordan card is a Drexler vs Jordan Skybox showdown series card. I have a few old topps rookie cards, have some cards with really old guys on them etc.

Last edited by Spudz27; 06-03-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro XR6
Bargain! They are worth abit ya know
Yeah I know mate - mine would have been but I have played in mine on the odd occasion over the years still have the original box as well - still have got 6-7 pairs of late eighties and early nineties as well series 4-10/11

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

awesome collection mate
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
greens_tuf

I used to be a big fan in the early 90's. Basketball was doing ok in Aus back then...

I've got a MJ card collection from primary school days, I don't think any are really worth much, but I've still got them a folder at home.
greens_tuf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
beanbag

i have a jordan card , i think fleer ultra with no 45 on his jersey he only wore this number for about 10 or so games after he game out of retirement the first time after his dad died i think,not sure what its worth but its rare i believe , i also have a small collection with a shaq rookie as well .
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Mate i've got HEAPS of basketball cards still... I'd probably have about 1500 cards

I've got 2 x full sets of Hoops 93/94 (the ones with the little 5th anniversary Gold Symbol) as well as lots of random rare ones... 1st set is about 85% with the gold logo (you only found 1 in each pack) and the 2nd set is about 30% with gold logo

I've got an upper deck Jordan card with him in his baseball gear??

I also have 2 x lottery cards - where you could redeem special sets of cards... but I contact Upper Deck when I got them - and they wouldn't redeem to anyone outside of the USA... (i've still got the cards though - so they are unclaimed)...

As well as a few other Jordan cards... from over the years...

I was a collector of Larry Johnson (#2 Hornets / Grandmama) and also David Robinson (#50 Spurs / The Admiral)

My team is the Mavs (big fan of Dirk Nowitzki) but I'm jumping on the Blake Griffin bandwagon...
Old 08-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

some nice looking cards there

not wanting to hijack but is there anyone one or anywhere that will buy cards for a decent price, or atleast look at them and value them. i (like most) have a good collection of cads from the early 90's sitting round doing nothing?

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #15
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

They only be worth their maximum if they are graded Unfortunatley
Old 08-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #16
beanbag

how do you get them graded nitro
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #17
xc4me

:O
great collection there mate jealous!

Sale thread here: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...77#post3722277
xc4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #18
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Www.Beckett.com or www.beckettgrading.com can't remember which one but basically you pay a fee, send the card to them (USA), they test whether or not it's a fake or genuine (for the rare cards), they grade the card (Aka how sharp corners are etc) then they lock it away in the tamper proof cases you see above in my pics. Closer to 10 the more the card is worth. In the case is the grading details and final score etc

Beckett and another company psa are the best but there are other grading companies out there but dont do half the tests or they give cards 9/10 when they should only be a 7/10. Most people who collect know who those companies are and stay away but people who use these other companies find it hard selling their cards and most of the time don't fetch as much.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #19
brett4777

check out this site for air jordan runners i just brought a pair of black jordan 6's

fadilx.com just type in air jordan in the search window
brett4777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #20
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett4777
check out this site for air jordan runners i just brought a pair of black jordan 6's

fadilx.com just type in air jordan in the search window

I hate to break it to you man, but they are fakes, replicas. Unless thats what you are looking for?
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #21
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Gee ok I might have some cash sittin in my closet front yonks ago. I have alot like loftie.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #22
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo77
I hate to break it to you man, but they are fakes, replicas. Unless thats what you are looking for?
Yes I also bought a pair of Reproduction (fake) Jordan 6's... they lasted about 5-6 months...

They look perfect - but you will notice no 'nike' on them anywhere...

Good replica's but not the real thing...

You will pay a premium for the real thing - and they are much better....