Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-05-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Subaru owners

I have realised that there are quite a few Subaru owners here on FF.com.au.

What Subaru do you own and why have chosen a Subaru over/aswellas a Ford?

For me, it was trial and error. I had no previous experience with Subaru's but had a lot of friends and other peoples experiences that have been nothing but great. Also I liked the thought of AWD traction as I never have had it before. I also liked that the resale value of the car was far less than any of the previous Fords I have owned. The only regret for me was not getting the WRX when I had the chance! :( I dont regret getting the Liberty as I need it for family reasons, but I want to upgrade to an 03 WRX when I get the chance.

So what made you change?

(Please, no Subaru bashing!!!)

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #2
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I bought mne in NZ [Jap spec] while on long service...Drove down South Island etc..Top place to drive a WRX... At present looking into updating it to maybe a B4..One of the BEST cars we have ever owned....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4

Last edited by ebxr8240; 26-05-2006 at 11:26 PM.
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 11:17 PM   #3
LUXO_8
windsor user

im a bit of a closet subaru fan.

i almost bought a 98 or 99 WRX before deciding to build my stroker..... the only thing that stopped me was i really couldnt find that many unmolestered examples that i liked.... i'd rather not find that ive bought one thats about to cark it

i'd love to get a H6 gen2 outback in a few years time. i must be getting old... lol they just look the part, and from all ive read are a great car...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #4
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Needed a wagon for the wife and we love camping so awd and a liberty suited. Found a great myo5 luxury pack at auction for a steal. It is truly the best car we have owned in both looks and quality and it just feels that little bit unique and special compared to the run of the mill ford or holden. That said for hard work and reliability you cant beat a big aussie 6.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Yes the 3L motor's I hear are pearlers on the newer Libs and Outbacks. 180kw standard isn't all that compared to the Ford's power, but combined with a low diff ratio and good mid range and light weight, she apparently goes very well with good to excellent economy.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 26-05-2006, 11:22 PM   #6
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
....That said for hard work and reliability you cant beat a big aussie 6.
I definitely agree with that. Cant kill the ozzy 6 as a hauler! ing_sm

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 26-05-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

As far as quality is concerned, I was more than happy with it as it just felt that bit better than some of the falcons I test drove at the time. Plus I haven't had to spend any extra $$$ on unessesary repairs unlike some of the fords I have owned. Not that I am totally biased against Ford, but I truly enjoy not haing to worry about some issues that I have read already in relation to the BA etc. That doesn't mean Subaru's are exempt from this, as you will find out on Subaru forums respectively, but I don't see as many complaints on those forums unless they are modding it in some way. Perhaps I better shut up now. :P

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-05-2006, 03:39 AM   #8
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Would have likely PM'd you about this one day Shav.
G/F has a Kia rio wagon and as far as rear space goes, its great. Room for pram (soon) & some other stuff. All our visions have lead to Subaru as the Focus, SR2 laser, mazda & impreza WRX wagon etc are to small.
Slowly starting to find out a bit more on the Subaru side of things. Originally thought the Liberty wagon will do but have now discovered the outback. Don't really know the difference mechanically or spec wise of the 2.
I gather with the liberty the RX is like the ghia? They seem to have more features & leather
Either way, when finances permit the kia will likely make way for a subaru outback or liberty in whatever model year & guise we can afford. After owning a falcon & now a ghia I'd likely feel short changed if i went with a GX wagon over an RX.

They seem to hold their value extremely well. 01/2 liberty's still in the high teens & venturing to the early 20's. Most of the older outbacks are still close to 20k & over.
Something we'll have to look into eventually.
I don't see to many of the H6? models or even the 3.0L versions. Can imagine the depreciation would be even less on those, almost surely putting them out of our price range (14k to 20k maybe). Couldn't justify spending to much when we still don't have a mortgage.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 09:42 AM   #9
geoffa1

The wife and I both have Territorys, but three years ago there was an Impreza RX and a Forester GT in the garage. Althought great cars, Subaru have nothing to compare to a Territory, and they have changed their dealer setup in Melbourne, making servicing a pain in the !. The Territory has been a positive move.
geoffa1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WRX owner here, my first non Ford, I changed from Ford because it suited my lifestyle requirements at the time. The WRX is a great car for NZ conditions (twisty/hilly second rate roads, lots of rain) you just can't beat that AWD.

I'm still a Ford man though, always will be. I do miss the interior space of the Falcon even though I never actually used it, nice to have. Don't miss the fuel consumption.

What gets me though is the countless number of WRX experts there are on here *sarcasm intended* :
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #11
Mondie
Firm member

Another Ford fan and Subaru owner here. After an XR6T and FPV GT a chnage in job neseciatated two cars so l no longer needed a large family car for work and wasnt happy with the ongoing Ford quality issues. So first it was an MY03 WRX Sti which l sold early this year and replaced with an MY 06 Liberty Gt "tuned by Sti".

Bloody good car and the quality is superb. :thebirds: Still 2 Fords in the shed though.......
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #12
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like MADNC8 i'm a bit of a closet Subaru fan as well. Many of my friends and family own Subarus and all of them have turned out to be quite strong and reliable. My cousin bought a new WRX back in 96 when nobody knew what a WRX was.. the looks on peoples faces when we used to fly by with the little boxer screaming its t**s off were priceless. I don't believe that car covered a single km without 75-100% throttle so it was no surprise when it started blowing smoke at 40,000kms.
A friend of mine currently owns an 03 WRX and after 63,000kms it hasn't missed a beat. Can't say the same for the majority of BA company cars at work that have covered less kms..

Then there's the other family members who are more than happy with their Foresters..

Come company car time i'll definitely be looking into some type of Subaru whether it be a WRX or STi. The quality of the plastics and the fit and finish are pretty crappy, but at least they're quick, reliable and sound really ballsy when fitted with the right exhaust. All you need to do is cross your fingers and prey you don't hit anything because they disintegrate on impact!
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #13
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

I'd be calling into question many a WRX 2002 - 05 and STi crash outcome over these years.

Detail:
http://www.rexnet.com.au/forum/index...howtopic=50362
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #14
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting.... Subaru NZ provide a list of Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns on there website for all to see, cant complain about that.
Old 27-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #15
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Here for AUS, note carefully the wording in 'detail':

http://www.recalls.gov.au/view_recal..._ID_Auto=14130

Last edited by Keepleft; 27-05-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 06:51 PM   #16
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two out of three "defect details" have them saying "its not our fault" and I bet they quote them first when you go complain. Wonder if they were ever able to actually make this happen in a controlled environment or some techo's pie in the sky idea.
Old 27-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #17
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Two out of three "defect details" have them saying "its not our fault" and I bet they quote them first when you go complain.

No, two out of three "defect details" have them saying that these models are susceptible to interference from high voltage signals either from an external source or due to engine ignition system malfunction. The third and final as a result of unauthorised modifications.
Old 27-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #18
McNugget
Starter Motor

have never owned a Ford but ventured over to this Forum to find out a but more about the F6 Typhoon. I currently own an 05 Liberty 3.0R spec. B sedan. These come standard with STi 6MT, 18's, Bilstein Suspension (inverted struts up front), rear LSD, Leather, Climate Air, 8 airbags, 13 speaker McIntosh Audio (only other OEM sound that compares is the Mark Levinson systems in some Lexus), Sunroof, Momo Steering Wheel with Audio controls, power Driver and Front Passenger Seats, 5 star ANCAP crash safety and of course AWD. All that for around 55k drive-away plus easy 70% retained values over 3 - 4 years makes them great value for money.

I was really keen on the Typhoon, had a couple of looks at the dealers then took one for a test drive and loved it. But at the end of the day the overall quality of the Ford both inside and out just didn't equal a 65k car in my mind. If Ford could improve the interior quality fit and finish, and lower the price by 5 - 10k then they would likely get my money when the time comes to replace the spec. B.
McNugget is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 08:41 AM   #19
YOOT
Banned

We bought an MY06 WRX hatch last year. We chose it because our first car was a Subaru 4WD and it lasted 20 years and 300,000kms with just regular maintenance and about 3 sets of CVs.

It went through the simpson desert where it got chock full of bull dust, it went to cape york in the wet season, and spent the last 5 years of its life making trips to stradbroke island and Rainbow beach. I drowned it in 3 feet of water twice, and it still only had rust at the bottom of the windshield and bottom of the drivers door were the drain plug had been blocked.

Armed with that confidence in mind, we didn't hesitate to snap a black WRX wagon last year. Excellent car, much better suited to going fast than my XR6T ute, but also much less comfy, roomy than the T. They way I look at it, I have the best of Both worlds. Fast grippy 5 seat wagon on one side of the garage, and fast laod hauling chick magnet on the other. Both of which are Black!

Next year will see the XR6 go, and a Forester XT replace it for fast camping trips. Then the WRX will most likely be replaced by an SR5 Hilux some time after that. Black of course!

Its safe to say that I will always have one Subaru in our garage, just as long none of them have that bloody Brandt security key pad like the WRX!! What pain in the !
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #20
jzab
Generally missunderstood

I've got an '85 Leone, that I race at our local Khanacross and Autocross events. I've got some plans on some modifications but I need to pay a bit more off the house before I can afford it. So apart from some race seats, harnesses and a sports steering wheel it's pretty much standard.
jzab is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 05:15 PM   #21
TIRED6
A V8 salute to my DEATH

I am ford from top to bottom. But i just threw a big-end in my F100 and needed a car to suffice. Because of location any sedan is outta the question. I was lookin at a F250 but it was rank, so i came home. On the way we found a 1978 Brumby. Unmolested and only 108,500km. So i purchases it for use/fuel economy and 4wd capability. I reckon it'll be here for a while.
Old 28-05-2006, 06:18 PM   #22
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNugget
have never owned a Ford but ventured over to this Forum to find out a but more about the F6 Typhoon. I currently own an 05 Liberty 3.0R spec. B sedan. These come standard with STi 6MT, 18's, Bilstein Suspension (inverted struts up front), rear LSD, Leather, Climate Air, 8 airbags, 13 speaker McIntosh Audio (only other OEM sound that compares is the Mark Levinson systems in some Lexus), Sunroof, Momo Steering Wheel with Audio controls, power Driver and Front Passenger Seats, 5 star ANCAP crash safety and of course AWD. All that for around 55k drive-away plus easy 70% retained values over 3 - 4 years makes them great value for money.

I was really keen on the Typhoon, had a couple of looks at the dealers then took one for a test drive and loved it. But at the end of the day the overall quality of the Ford both inside and out just didn't equal a 65k car in my mind. If Ford could improve the interior quality fit and finish, and lower the price by 5 - 10k then they would likely get my money when the time comes to replace the spec. B.
Finally! A person who gets it!
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #23
Matty4
Banana

I've got the JDM Legacy B4 (not the detuned AUS spec one) as my daily driver. It does the job of getting me around and still allows me a bit of fun when I don't have the kids with me. We always take the Territory when we go anywhere as a family as the T tows my boat with ease, something I'm reluctant to do with the B4.

As others have said, bang for bucks there's not much around that can touch them
I (hopefully) plan to replace it with GT STi wagon that my brother-in-law has when his lease is up.

Matty
Old 30-05-2006, 01:43 AM   #24
blueoval
Critical Thinker

These are great experiences boys. Keep up the comments Im enjoying it.

I have been doing some thinking lately and even though it would be more expensive, the thought of a MY04 Liberty GT is really capturing my attention. I have seent them for as little as $37-38k in standard trim and $42k plus for premium pack and the look is really starting to grow on me. Sure it's less aggressive and not quite as quick, but in comparison to my GX it's got to be a e load better. Plus I know you can fit a MRT XA-XC kit on these things for some serious grunt if I wanted too. Luxury and power in one car! :hihi:

I sat in a 3.0RB when the motor was here in SA and I was very impressed with the overall interior quality and refinement of that generation of Subaru. So as much as I would like the 'quicker' feeling of a WRX, a Liberty GT sedan would definitely be on the cards in future.

Does anyone here own or know anyone who owns a GT sepc Lib that could enlighten me with their experiences?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 30-05-2006, 08:30 AM   #25
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't own a Subaru, but I'd me much more inclined to own one rather than most other Asian cars ... at least the rear wheels are driven rather than pulled!
Everyday I walk past a council carpark and they have all their salary sacrificed Fords and Holdens (including Fairlanes and LTDs), and there are a couple of Subaru Liberty's in there as well. Just from the outside, the Subaru build quality appears head-and-sholders over the local product; pain finish, plastics, door gaps, etc, etc ... IMHO a well put together vehicle.
Rod.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #26
kooky
WRX terrorist

Extremly happy WRX Terrorist here :

MY01 with some basic mods for 40% more ponies

I changed from an AU XR6 HP loosing 50% over 2 years on initial purchase price :gren:

Current market price of my WRX is about a 5k loss after almost 2 years of ownership you just cant beat that kind of depreciation.

90,000 km's old and I have never had 1 problem, bar my batery dieing and disabling the car (Brant immobiliser), oil changed every 6000ks and it runs like a dream.

My initial reason for change was because my wife at the time had a large 4 door company car and there really was no need to have two big cars, so I was in a position to have a toy, it still brings a smile to my face every time I climb in for a squirt, one of the best engine notes about, bar an AU T-series 5.6.......... still have a soft spot for those :monkes:
Old 30-05-2006, 10:17 AM   #27
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love Subarus. Currently considering buying a Liberty B4 or a WRX. If I could afford it I'd have a Liberty GT without a doubt. My boss has a Liberty GT and let me say that thing sticks to the road no problems. You can feel the power on even half-acceleration, very comfortable inside, it is however noticeably smaller than a Falcon or Commodore but I believe even in those it's still impossible to seat 5 adults comfortably. Just waiting for him to dump it on some nice rims, and put a nice exhaust on it.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #28
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Mitchay I could have bought a Liberty GT wagon over the last few years and you got to be kidding seating 5 adults comfortably, maybe africans but not here.
Having 3 kids myself I couldn't put them through it !
Saying that has kept me out of them, I love their look now that they finally have lost that fugly anteater look and previous.
Performance handling affordable for me and good resale but just not big enough once you have 2 or more kids....
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 11:12 AM   #29
bwhinnen

I moved from a HSV VS Ute to the WRX back in '99. Main reasons were I wanted 4 doors, reliable, good performance and relatively cheap. I've had it since then and have done about 160,000km on it. It has doubled power at the wheels, broken a gearbox, had a complete driveline conversion done (to late model 6 speed running gear and rear diff and driveshafts), and numerous other things done to it. It is rough, raw and rattly, but now sticks to the road, has unbelievable punch out of corners and is extremely exilarating to drive on a decent road.

It was also my daily driver for work up until about a month ago when we added a BF XR8 to the flock and was mostly reliable. The WRX is now the track car which will stay road legal and registered for those tarmac events such as the Dutton.

I never bought it for resale, never entered into my mind once I drove it and realised its potential I knew I'd be keeping it. They are generally ultra reliable when stock, but like any car do have their build issues. They can be expensive to service and once you really modify them, you soon find out what isn't up to par.

But yes, it is not big enough for the family, even with one child when doing long distance driving, unless you want the child surrounded by bits and bobs ;) Thus the XR8...
bwhinnen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 01:04 PM   #30
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Mitchay I could have bought a Liberty GT wagon over the last few years and you got to be kidding seating 5 adults comfortably, maybe africans but not here.
Having 3 kids myself I couldn't put them through it !
Saying that has kept me out of them, I love their look now that they finally have lost that fugly anteater look and previous.
Performance handling affordable for me and good resale but just not big enough once you have 2 or more kids....
That was my point. It's impossible to seat 5 adults comfortably in a Commodore or Falcon, and way past impossible in a Liberty. Sorry for the confusion.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post