Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Question Manners a thing of the past?

G'day all,

While I was out today running around getting ready for the New years celebrations I decided to fill up the ute,so I patiently wait for my turn at the bowser and finally get there and start filling up,the car in front of me must have just had a top up and left leaving an empty bowser in front and you guessed it a woman thought she would drive in the other way and start filling up after a few civilised words I discovered that apparently common sense,manners,courtesy,etc. didn't apply to her.
So anyway the console operator and the three people behind me all had to wait for this imbecile to finish. I can tolerate most situations but the lack of manners I see today does get my blood up.
Any thoughts people?

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucool
G'day all,

While I was out today running around getting ready for the New years celebrations I decided to fill up the ute,so I patiently wait for my turn at the bowser and finally get there and start filling up,the car in front of me must have just had a top up and left leaving an empty bowser in front and you guessed it a woman thought she would drive in the other way and start filling up after a few civilised words I discovered that apparently common sense,manners,courtesy,etc. didn't apply to her.
So anyway the console operator and the three people behind me all had to wait for this imbecile to finish. I can tolerate most situations but the lack of manners I see today does get my blood up.
Any thoughts people?
Manners.... hahahah....

They've been gone for some time...

Other words that most people have forgotten are:
"Customer Service"
"Patience"
"Courtesy"
"Common Sense"

This list could spiral out of control...
Old 30-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

im 15 and if manners arent used (unless in/during a joke) i will give the person/s a talk about simple manners..

seriously, some people need to learn the most basic manners as with manners, you can go a lot further

edit: that list above is something that most people need to learn
Old 30-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was she good looking at least?
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
notice

You think that's bad. . . The other week i was filling up the effy and a car was in front of me so i told my partner ill go pay, since i cant move.

Leaving her in the car while waiting to pay the person in front of me paid and left just before i got to the counter and this ******* decided to get into my truck and move it, with my partner still in it

Being the local servo and many of my friends parents work there they didn't worry about calling the cops after i flattened him after telling me i was the ****wit and he could move my car if he so damn well felt so

sadly have to see the station later this week cops came to my door the day after agree that he was a tool but fracturing his eye socket was not the way to go even tho he very much deserved it

never had any trouble with the police only 21 and am in that stupid disrespectful gen (being raised by my grandfather gave me a better head on me then some of the kids getting around here) and am currently entering the army in march hoping this doesn't screw everything up for me

sorry for my rant.........
Old 30-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

is people being selfish a new thing?
personally i am never surprised at the immense levels of selfishness some people have.
Old 30-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Manners might have taken a backseat but violence isn't the answer either..
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notice
You think that's bad. . . The other week i was filling up the effy and a car was in front of me so i told my partner ill go pay, since i cant move.

Leaving her in the car while waiting to pay the person in front of me paid and left just before i got to the counter and this ******* decided to get into my truck and move it, with my partner still in it

Being the local servo and many of my friends parents work there they didn't worry about calling the cops after i flattened him after telling me i was the ****wit and he could move my car if he so damn well felt so

sadly have to see the station later this week cops came to my door the day after agree that he was a tool but fracturing his eye socket was not the way to go even tho he very much deserved it

never had any trouble with the police only 21 and am in that stupid disrespectful gen (being raised by my grandfather gave me a better head on me then some of the kids getting around here) and am currently entering the army in march hoping this doesn't screw everything up for me
Hope it all works out for you, what the other bloke did was not on....in saying that neither was your reaction (two wrongs don't make a right)...but hopefully the other bloke won't be such a tool to others in the future....in that way, maybe some good will come of this.
Old 30-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People living in their own world is getting popular. Bloke in a old Sigma using one of only two diesel pumps at a large BP (Combo pump type) decides to get some maccas while leaving car at the bowser while 5 or so vehicles back up behind. Few choice words were exchanged when he strolled back with Mc Crap.

Me and the missus have a great tag team, driver fills and moves car if servo is full, passenger pays. Easy!
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:

sorry for my rant.........
Handled perfectly imo. Who does that idiot think he is getting into someone elses car and moving it because he feels like it!
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

Strangely enough, the term GTA comes to mind. Legally he stole your car, even to only move it a few metres. He also tampered with your private propherty.

But on another point, it does amaze me the lack of manners and respect these days. I'm only 23, but i still know whats good for me.
Old 30-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Manners Are far gone sadly to some people. especially in nz.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont know if its really a generation thing or just people in general
We were at the servo the other day
Only really good for 1 way traffic
So we pulls up to the furthest forward pump,then some well upstart pulls in behind us
She dont want fuel,goes in the shop for smokes and stuff then comes out and demands we move
Now im pritty sure there was a parking bay just out the front of the servo
Was it to hard for her to park there
Needless to say we moved when we payed , and oh magically someone pulled up behind here

Or ya get the tools that when paying for ya juice have to near sit in ya boot and rev the engine
Manners ,wow they got lost i think
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #14
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I personally think manners flew out of australia on a plane when all the blow ins started coming into australia,its such a beautiful place we live in i just wish everyone would respect it more and have some friggin manners.
Nobody wants to be nice anymore becasue they know everyone is an *******.

Ps- it also helps to get respect/manners if you weigh over 100kg and are over 6ft tall. just demand it!
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #15
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking of manners etc .. saw on "Today Tonight" or one of those pseudo news shows - relating to Christmas shopping - that only approx 15% of people will leave a note if they hit a parked car .. and funnily enough about 85% of people are worried about people hitting their cars while parked. Probably the same 85% of people who don't leave a note ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it comes back to that age old thing, PARENTING, when your in your daily travels at variouse times you see kids absolutely running wild with parents near by contemplating the vacuum between their ears with a blank expression on their faces , and you think to yourself ........... these kids are parents and possibly leaders of the future ....... yes manners and good people seem to be in decline sadly.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #17
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been saying a very simple explanation for no manners at my work for a number of years now. It is simply 'manners optional day', the customer may bring it in with them as they come through the doors or they can leave them safely tucked away in their cars.

You think it can be frustrating filling up your car with fuel, try being the console operator dealing with all the whinging about the petty stuff going on out in the forecourt or whatever else takes their fancy at the time.

On one of the above posts someone said something about Customer Service: well I am sure most would receive very good customer service if only they were pleasant to serve or maybe used simple manners. The amount of people that think it is quite ok to be abusive or rude is definitely on the rise and all you will cop back is sarcasm.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #18
Scott

Quote:
You think that's bad. . .
Sounds pretty fair to me, what else could he have expected? That you would come out and thank him??

He's lucky you didn't take his car for a drive while he was feeling around in the dirt for his eyeballs...
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #19
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunely about 20 years ago someone tried that on me, 5 Poster and gently moved the car out of my may. no damage to anything/one. not something i`m particutaly proud of now but geez... a bit of COMMON SENSE AND CURTEOSY goes a long way
Old 30-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #20
pulpist
nope!

It's not very hard to say..."please", thank you" and "excuse me".
Old 30-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #21
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Manners are not completely gone. My 4yr old has the greatest manners of any child her age I have seen. Strangers in the shops often give us lovely comments about her. She always says please, thankyou, may I, Excuse me etc. We made it our mission that if nothing else our kids will be well mannered.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #22
mark300

unfortunately im part of this generation that doesnt have any manners (or common sense in some respects i think as well!) being 20 i know alot of people who just dont have any sense of manners or common courtesy, these were 2 basic values i was raised with. pretty sad i think that people cant be polite and courteous anymore...

on this topic, is it just me or has courtesy on the roads also gone out the window???
whatever happened to if you let someone in in a line of traffic they give you the wave or some show of thanks.... countless times over the last few months ive let cars in infront of me in numerous situations or just been courteous to other drivers when i really didnt have to and nothing!

www.bowlwithbrunswick.com
Bowl with the best
mark300 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #23
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

I never leave my keys in the car with the missus in it at the servo. Some famous footballer (ithink it was) a few years ago left his missus in the car with the keys in it at the servo. Anyways someone decided to bugger of in his car with his missus in it!! So since then...i take the keys with me.
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #24
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpist
It's not very hard to say..."please", thank you" and "excuse me".
Exactly
next time your in a shop of any kind have a listen and I'll bet you wont hear any of these words from customers
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #25
XRATE-UTERUS
Banned

Quote:
G'day all,

Any thoughts people?
just reverse out, did exact same thing today. i told the dudes behind me we have a ****stick ahead, move back one space and ill leave. all happy.
XRATE-UTERUS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #26
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
G'day all,

Any thoughts people?
So you're upset a waiting customer used the empty bowser in front of you?

Old 30-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #27
XRATE-UTERUS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxm
Exactly
next time your in a shop of any kind have a listen and I'll bet you wont hear any of these words from customers
it's easier to say **** OFF!!, feels better too!
XRATE-UTERUS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #28
Skotty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
im 15 and if manners arent used (unless in/during a joke) i will give the person/s a talk about simple manners..

seriously, some people need to learn the most basic manners as with manners, you can go a lot further

edit: that list above is something that most people need to learn
Good to hear, a young bloke with manners!...

I get fed up I find this amusing. My mother is only 54 so around middle aged... She is vision impered (legaly blind with 20/15 vision or something like that), She had her guide dog out the week before christmas when doing some shopping, and she had some smart a^^e like fvcker with his mother at the lakes villiage tell her "Dogs aren't allowed in here" to which my mother said "Excuse me? He isn't just a dog, he is my eyes aswell, and yes guide dogs are allowed EVERYWHERE bar surgery and ICU at a hosp"... the little kid came back with "whats a damn guide dog them" my mothers come back was priceless "Ask your mum!"

But then one of my mates, his 19, and his manners are very poor!, infact I even talk to him the same way I use to speak to my ex's 2yo daughter :P
Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #29
xw383

I had a verbal argument with an 18yr old a few months ago about gone are the days we must respect our elders. Mmm just let me say that he got the biggest spray that i have given anyone and it still continues when i have to speak to him.

My children speak and act with manners and understand that honesty goes a long way in life.

Last edited by xw383; 30-12-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: ?
xw383 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #30
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark300
unfortunately im part of this generation that doesnt have any manners (or common sense in some respects i think as well!) being 20 i know alot of people who just dont have any sense of manners or common courtesy, these were 2 basic values i was raised with. pretty sad i think that people cant be polite and courteous anymore...

on this topic, is it just me or has courtesy on the roads also gone out the window???
whatever happened to if you let someone in in a line of traffic they give you the wave or some show of thanks.... countless times over the last few months ive let cars in infront of me in numerous situations or just been courteous to other drivers when i really didnt have to and nothing!
This is something that is really deminishing, people seem to think it is their right that you let them in or stop to let them out. I still wave or put a thumb up everytime someone lets me in. My biggest issue is those trying to cross the road, if it is real busy I will often slow down enough or stop to let them cross, as a thanks I get honked at, but worse than that the person who I let cross never even aknowleges what I have just done for them.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post