Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Advice on minivan

Hey guys. I'm looking at getting a replacement car soon.

I was keen on getting a Territory Ghia, but due to the growing family, I'm thinking about a minivan.

I've narrowed it down to two, but can't seem to pick one on anything other then cosmetics. Both are around the same price.

Chrysler Grand Voyager
Kia Grand Carnival

I think I am leaning towards a Voyager, but hate the coloumn shift on the right side of the steering wheel, other then that, the rest of the interior seems a tad more quality then the Kia.

Can anyone give me some advice on some quality points of the cars, or why I should not get one over the other.

I'm going out tomorrow to take each for a test dirve.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Wasnt the Kia one of the most unsafe cars or minivans about a year ago? Rememer reading somewhere something like that.

Could be wrong though haha
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
Conrad
Banned

Honda Oddysey's are pretty mad. But thats the only people mover i've ever driven so i guess i can't judge. They have plenty of poke though.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Territory offers the greatest (most carlike) driving pleasure, if that's important. Although they haven't been tested against one another I suspect that means also that Territory has the greatest primary safety (ability to avoid having an accident - swerve, avoid and recover). The Voyager and Kia are people movers not SUVs so they may be better in 3rd row accommodation. Finally check the NRMA vehicle operating costs figures - I think Territory may be cheapest. Last time I looked the Voyager's figures were astronomical, at the most expensive end of the list. (mynrma.com.au)
Old 21-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=17797

The Kia is almost 20 grand cheaper compared to the Chrysler. This review also places the Kia ahead of the Chrysler.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

We have a Kia Carnival... for the money nothing comes close to it. As for safety.. the new ones rank ahead of both Torago and Voyager.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
351hardtop
Wahoo

Go the Voyager. We've had one from new, three years on and no issues whatsoever. But when you say 'minivan' - these aren't, they're like the bloody Bismark, very long wheel base and quite wide. Do not bother with the Kia, my sister has one and they're really not up to scratch.

The voyager gives an awesome ride, a tad underpowered at times when fully loaded but enough to get up an go and will cruise along extremely well, great handling. Expect about 13l/100k around town.

PM me if you'd like more info.
Rick.
351hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about a 7 seat terri as you said initially? while the 3 row is not a big as a people mover there still ok on long trips until your kids hit high school. And a terri will wipe the floor with most people movers dynamically as well.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

You have got to be kidding!.....

Reading through the review I linked previously, the first "people mover" is a 7 seat VW with a 1.6, 75kw engine. :

What a joke. A engine thats found in a Getz is expected to haul around 1500kg of van as well as 7 seats full of people?
Old 21-07-2007, 09:44 PM   #10
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Hey guys. I'm looking at getting a replacement car soon.

I was keen on getting a Territory Ghia, but due to the growing family, I'm thinking about a minivan.

I've narrowed it down to two, but can't seem to pick one on anything other then cosmetics. Both are around the same price.

Chrysler Grand Voyager
Kia Grand Carnival

I think I am leaning towards a Voyager, but hate the coloumn shift on the right side of the steering wheel, other then that, the rest of the interior seems a tad more quality then the Kia.

Can anyone give me some advice on some quality points of the cars, or why I should not get one over the other.

I'm going out tomorrow to take each for a test dirve.
How many kids and adults ?
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 10:50 PM   #11
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
We have a Kia Carnival... for the money nothing comes close to it. As for safety.. the new ones rank ahead of both Torago and Voyager.
I agree with Casper, although i have never owned one they appear to be very popular and are great value for money. It seems as though every road i drive down has a burgandy Carnival on it.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 11:41 PM   #12
Ando_Leigh

Do not Get the Kia

My cousins had one it was the biggest lemon ever, it would randomly switch on indicators, wipers, headlights and even change the radio with out warning.

they upgraded to a nimbus no problems at all great car.
Old 22-07-2007, 12:04 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my cousin turned up the other day in his chrysler voyager he has a big family, i didnt get a drive of it, but had a sit in the leather seats it was nice to sit in, and seemed to have everything, it also had a feature that could be very handy for a disabled person i was thinking, the passenger side door (rear sliding), fully opens and closes by remote, for a people mover definatley worth a test drive i reckon.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 12:36 AM   #14
351hardtop
Wahoo

Well, with respect to anyone here who owns one I think the author of the review that is posted here says it all - if you're willing to risk it with a a manufacturer who has a terrible reliability/quality reputation based on the perecption of 'value' then that is the chance you take with the Kia. It's not hard to load a vehicle with a truckload of options to give the value perception, they're still cheap and nasty IMO. It also depends on how many you need to accommodate and what ages (I agree that the Honda Odyssey would be a very good option).

That and budget will determine everything.
Rick
Old 22-07-2007, 10:09 AM   #15
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351hardtop
Well, with respect to anyone here who owns one I think the author of the review that is posted here says it all - if you're willing to risk it with a a manufacturer who has a terrible reliability/quality reputation based on the perecption of 'value' then that is the chance you take with the Kia. It's not hard to load a vehicle with a truckload of options to give the value perception, they're still cheap and nasty IMO. It also depends on how many you need to accommodate and what ages (I agree that the Honda Odyssey would be a very good option).

That and budget will determine everything.
Rick
If you notice in his original post he says the Chrysler Grand Voyager and Kia Grand Carnival were around the same price. If thats the case it would be a pretty easy decision i would have thought, having said that i'd still get a RWD territory ghia
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 10:43 AM   #16
mowog
Discovery 4

I owned a 2003 Grand Voyager Limited. That car saved my familes life 2 times during the time we owned it (PM if you want details). I did drive a Kia before I signed for the Voyager but I only got a short distance from the dealer and turned around. It was not a good thing to drive.

I sold the Voyager because I didnt need 7 seats anymore. The average fuel consumption is the same as Territory but servicing cost are higher on the Voyager.

The gear shift you will get use to it.

Are looking at new or used?
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #17
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about the new Tarago with the 200kw V6?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 12:26 PM   #18
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

we have a Grand Voyager ... and as 351hardtop said, as for a "minivan"?? haha nooo way ... they are WIDER than ur average Sedan and just a tad longer, but they feel much longer ... however, i suggest that u buy the Voyager ... what year are u looking at getting?? new or used?? ... ours is a 1999' Grand Voyager LE ... i think that also, with the voyager's u get more options as in the Carnival ... i don't know about the Kia's but in the crysler u get; Woodgrain, Rear Air, Storage Compartments everywhere, Cup Holders on almost every seat, middle and read seats can be rotated or completly removed in a matter of a few seconds, side mirrors slide in, electric rear side windows, adjustable lights, the list goes on!! ...

if u would like more info PM me ...

there are also, like any car, different models available, ie. LS, LX, LE, and long or short wheelbases
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #19
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well, I just wrote a huge reply, but the forrums screwed up and... well you know the rest.

Basically, I think the Kia Grand Carnival is the way to go.... I'll take them both for a test drive on Friday...

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 22-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #20
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

it's totally ur choice mann .. but may i ask, what is making u lean more towards the kia?
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 05:49 PM   #21
irsa76
Snoopping

What is your budget? From what I've seen the top Grand Carnival is about the same price as the base Voyager. Which also means the Tarago and VW Kombi and Multivans are in the same price range. If you need heaps of room you can't go past the VW Kombi/Multivan. Plus the TDI is really good on fuel, the V6 can be a little thirsty. If the budget is very tight I would only look at the CaddyLife as a last resort. It's more like a stationwagon with a 3rd row rather then a people mover.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #22
351hardtop
Wahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Well, I just wrote a huge reply, but the forrums screwed up and... well you know the rest.

Basically, I think the Kia Grand Carnival is the way to go.... I'll take them both for a test drive on Friday...
Good luck with whatever you do - Please though, no matter what, do do not make your kids use those horrible lap seat belts in the Carnival, they are absolutely criminal and should not even be supplied in a modern car.

If you are unfortunate enough to be in a sizeable sort of crash, anyone using those negligent restraints are likely to have paraplegia or be feeding through a tube and using a colostomy bag for the rest of their lives due to internal injuries. No matter what car you buy, it's worth spending more $ to get true passenger safety. That's what made us buy the Voyager in the first place, 5 kids and the only manufacturer in the world (not even Tarago or VW) at that stage that gave all passengers head rests and three point seat belts. You can't put a price on safety.

Like I said, it comes down to price and how many people you need to carry.
Good luck.
Old 22-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #23
Wayne

Before buying the Korean car, please read these very open letters from people who have owned them or are stuck with them.
I think a better choice would be a Terry and Box trailer than Kia

Some owners are openly talking of class actions.
Mind you, Fords are also mentioned in this list of mainly unhappy motorists.
Makes for good reading, especially when you click the "make" link

Just trying to help

http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/latest.asp
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #24
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

There is a large number of brands listed in the complaints link. And although it is interesting that some older Kia's had an engine problem, the model discussed has a totally different engine.

I womder if there is a similar page that has compliments rather than complaints?

Haaaa what do you know! I did found the "Compliments" section, it was under the Ford Festiva link. (Ford Festiva=KIA AVELLA).

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 22-07-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 22-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #25
Conrad
Banned

I forgot to mention i've been front seat passenger in a Grand Voyager (Diesel) and it got to 95mph but didn't have much more left in it. I didn't really take note if it was comfortable or not so i guess thats not good nor bad.

My suggestion, buy an XF wagon with the 3rd row seating. You'll see a big saving!
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #26
351hardtop
Wahoo

Quote:
There is a large number of brands listed in the complaints link.
Yes there are, and the topic of conversation here is the Kia Carnival, which is certainly amongst them, so it is a valid review of the information offered.

Quote:
And although it is interesting that some older Kia's had an engine problem, the model discussed has a totally different engine.
Unfortunately, there is nothing to tell us which model is being considered nor whether he's looking at new or second hand cars, so it's unwise to assume it is a different model - is the 'Grand Carnival' a brand new model? I'm not sure. There is a complaint there in 2007 for a Kia Carnival 14months old. You'd be very brave indeed to lay down tens of thousands of dollars in the belief that a company has changed their build quality overnight when they have a known reputation for poor quality. Maybe they have, I don't know because I don't own one.

I don't think anyone's Kia bashing here, just as Wayne said, trying to be helpful and the information should be used thoughtfully.
Rick.
Old 23-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #27
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

I couldn't be stuffed retyping half the stuff.

I'm looking at a near new/demo model.

I'm looking at the most recent (current) Kia Grand Carnival (the Grand Carnival has the 3.8L engine, vs. the standard Carnival which has the 2.6L).

From what I hear, most of the Kia engine problems relate to the older models.

There are many features which (in my preference) outway the Voyager and the Tarago.

Bare in mind, if it was the standard Carnival I was tossing up, I would get a Voyager, but as stated, I'm looking at the Grand model...

Old 23-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #28
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351hardtop
Unfortunately, there is nothing to tell us which model is being considered nor whether he's looking at new or second hand cars, so it's unwise to assume it is a different model - is the 'Grand Carnival' a brand new model?
The first generation Carnival which had all the problems didn't have a Grand Carnival model.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post