Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 09-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
breezey
Starter Motor

Default Engine noise on Fiesta

I have a 2006 Ford Fiesta LX. It is a wonderful car... nice to drive... and a comment from a magazine I read about Fiesta that "the drive experience is involving" is very true. Eventhough mine is a base model but it has good enough power and the car feels like stick to the road.

My only complaint is the engine noise. Is there any trick to reduce engine noise to be heard from inside the car? FYI, I use Premium Unleaded. I learnt that using Unleaded will increase the engine noise. Thanks.

breezey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive heard that if you use a good quality synthetic oil eg Castrol Edge Sport 5w/30 that's is suppose to help NVH levels. My Mum just got a new WQ LX Fez in December and it does handle & steer beautifully.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
BlackLS

Dynamat on the inside of the firewall
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
breezey
Starter Motor

Do you know if we can ask for a specific oil when I bring our car for service to Ford? How much extra do we have to pay for that Castrol Edge Sport?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:15 AM   #5
zing

Just buy it yourself from Supercheap etc. Then tell them u want them to use this oil instead of wateva they use. Ive heard Fuchs brand synthetic is really good, but havent seen any at my local Supercheap..
Old 10-01-2007, 01:21 AM   #6
Als_Zetec
Rated G

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezey
Do you know if we can ask for a specific oil when I bring our car for service to Ford? How much extra do we have to pay for that Castrol Edge Sport?
Hiya

Better off providing the oil yourself and asking them to use it. No guarantee that they actually use it but...

I had the same complaint as you and recently switch to a Fuchs Titan 10W-30. Engine noise has reduced significantly, pickup is smoother, the engine feels as though it revs much more freely and it just cruises at freeway speeds. I think Hyperkid uses a Castrol Edge and a lot of others (Fez, Focus, various Falcon owners) here are also using some sort fully synthetic oil.

I do an interim engine oil change at around the mid point between services and what a difference it makes!
(good chance to catch up with my bro and know that I'm doing something good for my car and my driving pleasure )

Good luck!
Als_Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #7
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezey
I have a 2006 Ford Fiesta LX. It is a wonderful car... nice to drive... and a comment from a magazine I read about Fiesta that "the drive experience is involving" is very true. Eventhough mine is a base model but it has good enough power and the car feels like stick to the road.

My only complaint is the engine noise. Is there any trick to reduce engine noise to be heard from inside the car? FYI, I use Premium Unleaded. I learnt that using Unleaded will increase the engine noise. Thanks.
A wonderful car indeed. I dont know how engine noise can be a negative on the Fiesta, after all.. it's a nice sound.

I find using V-Power Racing + really good quality full-synthetic 5W-30 oil improves the NVH and performance. However V-Power Racing can give you worse fuel economy than the other PULPs when the car is thrashed... otherwise it's as good as the other PULPs (fuel economy-wise).

Hope that helps!

Welcome to the forum btw, where are you located? If you're in Sydney there will be a cruise happening on the 20th January (next Saturday). If you're free that day you're more than welcome to come along!
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Breezey........you could try sending a PM to "Oxyg3n", I think he soundproofed his Fez somewhat, he may have some ideas.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 10:00 PM   #9
breezey
Starter Motor

thanks for your replies guys. i agree that the engine sounds "nice" especially when you trash it but often i prefer a quiet cabin. especially when cruising at around 50 km/h speed.

i will give v-power racing a try actually.

as for interim oil change between services, i have few question:
  1. Will it harm the car if I use different oil (obviously i want something better than what is provided by ford) between services? should i change the oil filter as well given the different oil being used?
  2. Will Ford somehow mind with this habbit when I happen to claim for warranty in the future?
  3. Where do you usually do an interim oil change between services and how much does it cost?
  4. With Fiesta, is it easy if we do it ourself? I have not looked at the engine bay... is it easy to reach the oil filter? in brisbane how do we throw away the used oil?
thanks guys.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:01 AM   #10
Steffo
LPG > You

1. No. As long as its the right viscosity (5W30).

2. They shouldn't. I'm yet to hear of such a case.

3. Can't help there. I change it myself.

4. Yes. It's extremley easy. You jack the car up and the oil filter is staring you in the face, obscured by nothing, right behind the front bumper.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post