Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 11-10-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Default Motor BFYB 06

Today's cat amongst the pidgeons:

Got a press release today at work saying the Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart took out category honours for Motor's Bang For Your Buck contest ahead of, wait for it... the VW Polo GTi. There was also a claim that it could have finished second in the next category, but I suspect the Bang index would have suffered there.

Also, Evo IX took out it's category honours and came close second to the VE SS overall. So if it actually had an exhaust note worth mentioning and an interior that wasn't circa 1998, I might be persuaded to like the thing.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah, yes good issue. One of Colt's criticisms is that "you feel like sitting on top of it, rather than in it".

Is it just me or the VE Commodores make the Falcons look so 2003? I gotta admit it that the Commies look good!
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 01:09 AM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

THE COLT EVEN BEATS THE XR5T IN LAP TIMES! HAHAHA

Right, I'm not sure I'm keen on the XR5T anymore....

But yea, that Colt sure does impress me! Still looks ugly though. Poor thing...

HA. The Polo GTI was bagged about it's poor ergonomics. Yet people hated the Clio for this same reason out:

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 01:22 AM   #4
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Motor BFYB 06

apart for ergonomics... how did the polo score?
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 01:46 AM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
apart for ergonomics... how did the polo score?
Polo came 18th out of 24 cars.

VW did not impress this year.
R32 Golf came 17th and the Golf GTI was 20th. Both fitted with DSG... which apparently does not impress on the track :

Check out the Mitsubishi! Came 5th! WOW. :sm_headba

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 12-10-2006, 02:41 AM   #6
Danny
GT4.

It still wouldnt get me into one of those shitbox Mini MPv's VW has class at least.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 09:35 AM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

but ware are you going go A) find road like a racetrack (B) be able to drive like your on a race track???

the Colt may be good on the Track but how is it on the road in everyday life.
im sure the VW has more comfort and luxury.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #8
Danny
GT4.

Mitch and I know that too... ;)
Old 12-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Motor BFYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Mitch and I know that too... ;)

Correct Danny !

Also take into consideration the ''plastic fantastic'' colt is a 3 grand more than the polo. The colt also in my opinion looks very cheap. Inside and out.

The polo is more of a sophisticated, grown up Euro hatch back with a bit of a sporty flare. It does wear the GTI badge, but its not really designed to be a hardcore sports machine.

Thats fine by me because 95% of the time i drive around like a nanna and that other 5% of the time i hammer it through corners, but how hard can you push on public roads without being dangerous and silly??? Not very hard to do something stupid these days and its just not worth risking.

Chances are my polo will never see a track, and at the end of the day you buy what you're happy and comfortable in. For me its the classy Volkswagen that wins my wallet... or better said has won my wallet...
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 12-10-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
photn
AFF Post NAZI

see thats what i thought. why test these cars on the track for when the majority of people wont use them on the track. as mitch said its way too easy these days to get yourself in trouble, not to mention to do what they do on the track in a CONROLLED environment on the road is dangerous for many reasons.

there not taking into account the whole package with the polo and colt. sure the colt may be faster but the VW is better in every way regardless.

handsteid down polo should out rank the toy the colt is.

Old 12-10-2006, 03:33 PM   #11
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

I should be hopefully parking my **** again in my bros gti and see what she is made of. Im confident i wont be dissapointed.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #12
photn
AFF Post NAZI

you park it in there. but will you be able to drive the manual?

Old 12-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #13
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Has anyone here commenting actually GOT the issue?

I've had a little read of it (haven't had much time with work today!)... this year is the FIRST year that Motor has canned the on-road testing section of BFYB. Apparently the reason for this is that the best measure of BANG is on a track. I can kind of see the logic in this. However, unfortunately the track this year was Oran Park, as opposed to Wakefield Park. Now, that means the lap times are quite small (say, 34-38seconds as opposed to around 1 minute 15 seconds). This means short, twisty and hard on the car.

Whether or not this was a good idea... who knows?! I sure think the old method was better (and the old track!)

But I'd agree that a track reveals the best in a car... that is the BANG it has. DSG might be great on the road, but as revealed in the current issue, they were massively flawed on the track. Hence VW getting such poor rankings.

Anyway, back onto the story at hand.

I'd have to say that the Mitsubishi would be the better car. It gets VERY impressive lap times, and also straight times... and the comments about the handling and tyres are quite impressive. However, in saying that I would never live with the looks of it. NEVER. If someone gave me a Colt, I'd run to the nearest VW and trade it in on the Polo GTI. Who cares if I lose $3k on it... the Colt is just ugly. However, whether or not the Polo GTI can claim to be a hot hatch, remains to be seen. As future owners above have mentioned, it is more a 'warm hatch'.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #14
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
However, whether or not the Polo GTI can claim to be a hot hatch, remains to be seen. As future owners above have mentioned, it is more a 'warm hatch'.
Im sure a chip upgrade will change that - 152kws = 2g later = bye bye warm hatch = welcome hot hatch
Old 12-10-2006, 05:22 PM   #15
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
Im sure a chip upgrade will change that - 152kws = 2g later = bye bye warm hatch = welcome hot hatch
Hot Hatches don't just have to go quick in straights... they also need to steer :

The HSV Astra VXR is evidence of this....

Old 12-10-2006, 05:23 PM   #16
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm... Mazda should come up with Mazda2 MPS.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:49 PM   #17
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just read the BFYB review and something they noted was the Colt's tyres were a lot better. Basically I got the impression they were inferring GTi would have been a lot closer lap time wise if fitted with the same tyres. The 15.6 second 1/4 mile time the GTi got is far from shabby too.

From other reviews I've read the Colt is set up more for race track use (ie. harsh suspension.) The GTi can easily gain more kW (look at the adverts in Motor and Wheels - over 200kW!?) but the Colt will always be butt ugly!
Old 12-10-2006, 09:39 PM   #18
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is BANG for your bucks people. Straight out performance tests. Of course they arn't gonna take interior into consideration.

Without actually being inside any Colt i can't comment on it. The Polo is a very nice car but I hated the non leather interior
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 10:08 PM   #19
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Yes teki i do have the issue.

The new commodore really failed to impress didnt it !

Loads of fun :
Old 12-10-2006, 11:39 PM   #20
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Irrespective of looks, I would have to say the Colt is a far more focused car than the Polo GTi which is why it has the Ralliart badge* and the full alacantra Recaro bucket seats. Also, the Colt is running Yokohama Advans which is the same type of tyre being used in the Evo, so no doubt it helps.

What would also be interesting is to compare the running costs of both the Polo and Colt. I shudder to think of how much someone is likely to pay for a service from Volkswagen and whether or not insurance is an issue too.

*Before anyone pipes up with "that's just a name", Ralliart are very selective in the cars that they support. Hence, when the Colt Cabriolet Turbo is released soon, it wont have said badge, it simply isn't focused enough to earn it despite the simliar on paper specs.
Old 13-10-2006, 01:52 AM   #21
Danny
GT4.

I've checked it out. Volksy servicing is about $30 more than ford charges for the Fiesta
Old 13-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #22
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLeigh
Irrespective of looks, I would have to say the Colt is a far more focused car than the Polo GTi which is why it has the Ralliart badge* and the full alacantra Recaro bucket seats. Also, the Colt is running Yokohama Advans which is the same type of tyre being used in the Evo, so no doubt it helps.

What would also be interesting is to compare the running costs of both the Polo and Colt. I shudder to think of how much someone is likely to pay for a service from Volkswagen and whether or not insurance is an issue too.

*Before anyone pipes up with "that's just a name", Ralliart are very selective in the cars that they support. Hence, when the Colt Cabriolet Turbo is released soon, it wont have said badge, it simply isn't focused enough to earn it despite the simliar on paper specs.
:Reverend: you forgot the second part to the "*".

* I WORK FOR MITSUBISHI AS A SALESMAN!

Only joking- the Colt did very well. If only it didn't look like a Colt....

I do think (personally) sticking a "Ralliart" badge on it is cheapening the whole Ralliart segment of Mitsubishi to gain some sales at the bottom end of the market. Hopefully they sell better than the Magna they did a few years back.
Old 13-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #23
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Yeah, I do work as a salesman for Agostino. Hell, it's a press release from work that got me to start the thread. I stopped reading Motor a while ago, I think they spend too much time on these contests instead of real road tests. At the end of the day I can still be impartial any car despite selling one brand, I just sell cars to the customers. Having said that, I knew I could razz up some of the new Polo GTi converts here.
Old 13-10-2006, 08:18 PM   #24
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Personally it boils down to a number of things for me.

1) I wouldn't be seen dead in/near/around a Mitsubishi Colt base model. I'd happily own a Polo base model. I just don't like the ultra tall disproportional styling. Might be practical, but not exactly glamorous.

2) "What would also be interesting is to compare the running costs of both the Polo and Colt. I shudder to think of how much someone is likely to pay for a service from Volkswagen and whether or not insurance is an issue too."

I shudder to think of how little the Colt might be worth compared to the Polo GTi after a few years. I'd guess the VW might well do a lot better in the resale stakes. Should outweigh the service differences if any. At the other end of the scale, who even knows for a fact that the Colt is cheaper to service than the VW? You can't use the "I ignore brand snobbery" to support the Mitsu as a hatch then claim that due to brand snobbery, the VW is more expensive to service. It's all hearsay and things like servicing and resale can easily be used to scare people but hard facts, none of which we have here, are the only things I will believe before parting with my money.

3) Don't go on about the tyres or the engine chip, we're talking stock for stock. I could buy a Fiat Panda and for not a lot of cash probably smoke most cars on the road. It's a stock vs stock debate, not a potential debate. True, both cars could be modded, but then they lose thefactory balance that was designed and engineered into them. For under $10g I could drop a V8 into my car and smoke HSV's daily. But I don't claim my car would still be a better buy than one because of what it "could" be.

4) Of course the Ralliart looks more purposeful, it's from an Asian manufacturer. Asian cars have typically always had big wings and big intent to match th go, whereas the Euros tend to do the classy understated. There will always be advocates for both sides, I for one won't buy anything but a European hatch. But that's just my personal opinion. Heck even the British have turned the Civic Type R into a beast...!! Both are seemingly great bang for your buck, they both made the mag!

In the end the Ralliart seems ot have won, so be it, well done to the Ralliart team for extracting all the performance they have!
Old 15-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #25
crispymk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
but ware are you going go A) find road like a racetrack (B) be able to drive like your on a race track???

the Colt may be good on the Track but how is it on the road in everyday life.
im sure the VW has more comfort and luxury.
Still it won over the quarter too... traffic light grand prix vs an XR5T could be interesting, and embarrassing...
Old 15-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #26
Steffo
LPG > You

I was just googling to find some Fiesta ST 1/4 mile times and came accross this forum with a post, can't read whatever language it is, but I can make out a post about hot hatches running the same track by Sport Auto, which is a Euro (German I believe) car mag... and the result's are a tad different to BFYB...

1:23.1 --- 112.635 km/h - MG ZR 160, 160 PS/1131 kg (sport auto 03/05)
1:23.1 --- 112.635 km/h – VW Polo GTI, 150 PS/1215 kg (sport auto 06/06)
1:23.2 --- 112.500 km/h - Toyota MR2
1:23.3 –-- 112.365 km/h - Ford Fiesta ST, 150 PS/1156 kg (sport auto 07/2005)
1:24.0 --- 111.429 km/h - VW Lupo GTI
1:24.3 --- 111.032 km/h - Citroen C2 VTS, 122 hp/1105 kg (sport auto 04/2005)
1:24.3 --- 111.032 km/h - Mitsubishi Colt CZT, 150 PS/1139 kg (sport auto 07/2005)
1:24.8 --- 110.377 km/h - Peugeot 206 S16

Note - Colt CZT is the car badged Ralliart here.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #27
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

--deleted--
Old 15-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #28
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

*stares at polo GTI time * noice noice

Loads of fun :
Old 16-10-2006, 04:00 AM   #29
Steffo
LPG > You

And yes, I forgot to mention, I couldn't make out what track its on, but it would be the same track, otherwise comparing the times of a bunch of similar cars on a forum and talking about it would be rather strange and pointless if they were all different tracks... lol
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #30
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Im not sure if the CZT is exactly the same car or not as the Ralliart colt.

I think it might have different suspension. I remember watching a 5th gear comparo of the ST fiesta and CZT colt.

The st was soo solid around this track, the CZT handled like a wet Sayo.

Wheels seems to think it handles REALLY well, so i think it would be a different suspension tune. Although i understand that the engine is exactly the same.

Loads of fun :